Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

4 weeks ago
Pendant mount for UAP-AC-HDs using the U-Pro-MP
Description

We are setting up several UAP-AC-HDs for a client in a new fitness center, and needed to hang 2 HDs from the ceiling trusses.   So we used the U-Pro-MP  https://store.ubnt.com/collections/accessories/products/unifi-professional-mounting-plate  mounting plates with some standard electrical hardware and black steel pipe to custom build the mounts - 

PendantMount.jpg

A standard beam clamp + pipe clamp at the top, and a standard square Utility box at the bottom for the plate to mount to

PendantMountCloseup.jpg

The mounting plate replaces the plastic ring that comes with the UAP-AC-Pro, HD and SHD, and has a myriad of holes in it to fit a wide variety of US and European electrical boxes.   Just bolt it in place to the ceiling truss, feed the cable through the pipe, terminate, plug in the AP and snap it into the mount.   Makes for a very simple low cost, robust mount.

Jim

Comments
by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

This is a great mount! Nice and sturdy and all items that are available at your local hardware store (minus the pro mount of course). What I like is, the installer can make this exactly how ever long (or short) they need it to be.

I just did something similar - but I used a pancake box and some threaded rod. I was trying to make it look "low profile" - but of course, the cable had to go around the threaded rod. It doesn't look bad, if you use the right color cable. The other nice thing is, depending on your angle, because of the pancake box, you never see the box above the AP. 

by
3 weeks ago

This is ingenius.. I am an industrial electrician and I use this stuff everday and would have never thought about that! THe only other thing I would have done would be to use some steel wire and clip it to the ap or the 4in junction box and the other end to the ceiling in the case of the beam hanger slipping off! Other wise, AMAZING!!

by
3 weeks ago

@eejimm, don't most of the ceiling mount style UAPs already come with a metal backer plate for when mounting to suspended ceiling tiles?  I would think one of those backer plates screwed to a pancake box would suffice.  Just use a blank cover as a drilling template to locate the two screw holes. 

I like the pancake box for its low profile. It doesn't stand out as much as a deeper square or octagonal box with the ugly knockouts.

by

@LLigetfa

The metal backer plate is relatively new - and it's only for the "larger" diameter APs. UAP-AC-PRO, HD, SHD (and newer). It's available as a separate part, thats the link @eejimm put in his original post. I think those APs are now shipping with it also. Hopefully we'll see an adapter/solution for the smaller diameter APs. 

Previous to the metal plate - and currently with the small APs, and cameras too - there were/are only plastic backer plates. Their size does not make it possible to easily mount to a standard sized electrical box. You could hack it, but you might only get one screw, or damage the integrity of the plate. It's possible, I have one frankenstein out there, but it just takes too long to get right, and then you have to worry about it staying together.

This concept and design is fool proof - we literally already do it for lights, sensors and tons of of other stuff. I'll try to post some pictures of my version. In the end, all facilitated by that new metal plate (U-PRO-MP). Fast to put together, and all the parts are easily accessible. So much so that, right now, I do not install APs other than the AC-PRO or AC-HD. 

I hope we see something similar for Unifi Video soon.

by
3 weeks ago

The QSG for the UAP-AC-LR shows on page 2, the backer plate I mentioned as being in the package contents.

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/UniFi/UniFi_AP-AC-LR_QSG.pdf

I have not worked with the HD and looking at the QSG for it, it too lists a backer plate, albeit it has a much larger centre hole and so might be too large for the pancake box I mentioned.

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/UniFi/UniFi_UAP-AC-HD_QSG.pdf

by
3 weeks ago

OOOH! Haha. I know what you are talking about... The metal plate that goes on the other side of the ceiling tile. Sorry... Yes, all the APs do come with that. 

I don't think I ever thought about using that... It seems like too many pieces, too much of a sandwich.

But possibly an option. Now that you said that I'll grab one and line it up to see if it could work.

by

Yes, you can certainly use the metal backer plate that comes with all the APs, but you have to drill the holes for mounting it yourself.   The nice thing about the MP is it's already done for you, and it will fit any standard box you want to use.

And yes, in most cases I would use a hanger strap to keep the unit from falling, but this is such a small mount and the whole assembly weighs so little that I think the ehternet cable would actually hold it just fine.   But in a large installation where there will be a lot of people under it, like in an event space, definately put a strap or steel cable loop on it too.

BTW here's pictures of the units installed - 

PFmountOurs.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality - they still don't have power in most of the building and it's really too dark for good photography.

Here is another mount that was already there for a second HD - this was a commercial one they paid over $150 for.   IIRC our entire cost of materials was less than $25

PFmountCommercial.jpg

Hard to see where the extra $125 is in there...

Jim

by
3 weeks ago

$150, yikes! Yours is definitely a better option. 

by
3 weeks ago

Anyone know when the pro mounting kit is going to be available again? I'd love to order a test unit, but it's been showing as sold out.

by
3 weeks ago

Nice one Jim.

An alternative could also be a projector ceiling mount for under 20$

Something like this