Portable/Mobile Event WiFi for hundreds of Stations
Used Products
×3
×4
×7
×5
Description

20180527143648.jpg

We created a mobile/protable WiFi-Setup to rent out to events.

It has all you need in 2 cases (one base case and one upgrade).

The setup is free to rent for anyone who wants to use it and is supported by the local city council. Backhaul is created via VPN so any internet-connection can be used and the owner does not have to worry about liability.

All has been done by Freifunk Braunschweig a group at Stratum0 our local hackerspace.

We made a small (German) blog-post about it. https://stratum0.org/blog/posts/2018/06/01/freifunk-event-wlan/

The VPN, routing and controller VMs run on a small PC-engines APU2 which pushes 1 GBit/s without a sweat.

Setup is as easy as possible, plug all devices in, connect the uplink to the internet and you should be ready to go. Only the WiFi-backhaul, should it be needed, is a bit more complex to setup (needs some experience) but even that is plug and play.graph.png

20180601120418.jpg

DZmhlhlWkAAY0SS.jpg

Portable/Mobile Event WiFi for hundreds of Stations

by on ‎06-08-2018 06:06 AM

20180527143648.jpg

We created a mobile/protable WiFi-Setup to rent out to events.

It has all you need in 2 cases (one base case and one upgrade).

The setup is free to rent for anyone who wants to use it and is supported by the local city council. Backhaul is created via VPN so any internet-connection can be used and the owner does not have to worry about liability.

All has been done by Freifunk Braunschweig a group at Stratum0 our local hackerspace.

We made a small (German) blog-post about it. https://stratum0.org/blog/posts/2018/06/01/freifunk-event-wlan/

The VPN, routing and controller VMs run on a small PC-engines APU2 which pushes 1 GBit/s without a sweat.

Setup is as easy as possible, plug all devices in, connect the uplink to the internet and you should be ready to go. Only the WiFi-backhaul, should it be needed, is a bit more complex to setup (needs some experience) but even that is plug and play.graph.png

20180601120418.jpg

DZmhlhlWkAAY0SS.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Braunschweig, Germany","placeId":"ChIJO2YAitX1r0cRsDqslG2sJQQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":3},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":4},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":7},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-pro-ap-beta","count":5}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"160540i8F9BD53A9434E688"}

Comments
by
on ‎06-08-2018 07:44 AM

Would be a great addition to generate additional revenue for event planning/ rental companies! Thanks for sharing! 

by
on ‎06-08-2018 04:15 PM

Where did you find those cable lables? 

by
on ‎06-10-2018 01:51 AM

I did not find any references to the LTE modem. Where are u using that for?

by
on ‎06-10-2018 02:25 AM

The LTE modem is an uplink option in case no other option exists.

by
on ‎06-11-2018 12:55 AM

Thanks for sharing,

Anw what are the devices you use for UAP AC Ms' uplinks?

However, can you please explain why the Backhaul is created through VPN ? What are the benefits and specially how to do it? Man Very Happy

by
‎06-11-2018 12:59 AM - edited ‎06-11-2018 01:05 AM

UAP-AC-Ms would use the M-Pros as uplink and can be handy on campsites or other remote locations (100-150m to the uplink are no problem). But basically any 5-GHz AP (all in our case) can be an uplink the only difference for the Mesh models is the additional 5 GHz-mesh-radio which standard APs are missing. info on the topic: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002262328-UniFi-Feature-Guide-Wireless-Uplink

VPN is used to prevent exposing the donated internet acess' IP-adress in case torrenting or other stuff happens. That is the case for the whole Freifunk network and it is due to European or specifically German regulations.

by
on ‎06-13-2018 05:43 AM

Which VPN are you using in your  APU2C4 ?  PFsense?

I imagine that the other VPN device is in a datacenter with a good connectivity  or you use a vpn provider somwhere?.

I sometime organize the IT stuff for events and the VPN thing is a good idea.  Any more info would be appreciated.

regards,

Nico

by
on ‎06-25-2018 02:36 AM

Agreed with @nmorisod, the VPN is a good idea. I didn't think of that before.

I also do some occasional events setups. Sometimes we are just approved to use the internet connection, sometimes we have to contact the ISP to get a dedicated IP adres. But this would be far more easy.

If you are using pfSense as router, I am also interested in how you did it and how it performs (speed/latency problems?). Also we have mostly dual WAN solutions, is it still possible to use a VPN with dual WAN? (I really should find some time to Google that, and try it out myself)

by
on ‎06-27-2018 06:38 PM

This is cool!  How many users can you pipe through this setup?

by
on ‎06-28-2018 02:34 PM

imagino que el usuario se pega al que esta mas cerca aun asi el usuario camine dentro de toda la zona