04/26/2018
Portable Wifi System
Reason for Installation
Portable Unifi system for remote control and Internet access on occasion.
Used Products
×1
×2
×1
×1
Description

I work on events and often need to remotely access the lighting system to focus the lights. Occasionally I wanted the ability to have a separete SSID for internet access. Having worked with all of the UBNT equipment, I knew I could come up with a system that would be portable, and function well in any environment. Range was important to me, because I am often 200-300ft away from the AP, and adding another AP isn't always possible. 

I have been looking to build a small, portable, Unifi system that I can easily travel with for work.  I started with a single UAP-AC-Mesh to see how it worked out, and I was impressed with the range, and functionality. After the initial test, I expanded my system to include a 2nd AP, Cloudkey, USG, and 8 Port Switch. 

The lighting controllers I connect to are all set with static IP's, so I could easily just give my iPad a staic IP, but when other people need to connect, with limited networking knowledge, it made it easier to just have a USG as a simple DHCP server. Maybe a bit overkill, but having everything managed by the Unifi Controller makes things super easy. 

On occasion, creating a wireless network for internet access is asked of me. In that case the USG comes in handy to allow me to have a VLAN for Lighting, and one for Internet. On those occasions, I setup a second SSID for internet access, as well as firewall rules to block internet access on the Lighting network, as well as blocking traffic across the VLANS. 

The stands I use for the Mesh Units are from B&H. Cheap, compact, and perfect for what I need. 

The AP's might not always be at the POE switch, so I keep the Bricks attached to the stands for that purpose; and the AP's & Brick stay attached to the pipe of the Mic Stand. 

Everything fits nicely in a 1510 Pelican, with space for a couple lights. 

IMG_1527.JPGPacked Pelican

IMG_4661.JPGAP's and Stands in their cutouts.

IMG_5606.JPGEmpty Case/Foam Cutouts.IMG_7633.JPGUSG/Switch/CK Board 

IMG_9230.JPGAP

IMG_5250.JPGAP

Portable Wifi System

by on ‎04-26-2018 01:16 PM

I work on events and often need to remotely access the lighting system to focus the lights. Occasionally I wanted the ability to have a separete SSID for internet access. Having worked with all of the UBNT equipment, I knew I could come up with a system that would be portable, and function well in any environment. Range was important to me, because I am often 200-300ft away from the AP, and adding another AP isn't always possible. 

I have been looking to build a small, portable, Unifi system that I can easily travel with for work.  I started with a single UAP-AC-Mesh to see how it worked out, and I was impressed with the range, and functionality. After the initial test, I expanded my system to include a 2nd AP, Cloudkey, USG, and 8 Port Switch. 

The lighting controllers I connect to are all set with static IP's, so I could easily just give my iPad a staic IP, but when other people need to connect, with limited networking knowledge, it made it easier to just have a USG as a simple DHCP server. Maybe a bit overkill, but having everything managed by the Unifi Controller makes things super easy. 

On occasion, creating a wireless network for internet access is asked of me. In that case the USG comes in handy to allow me to have a VLAN for Lighting, and one for Internet. On those occasions, I setup a second SSID for internet access, as well as firewall rules to block internet access on the Lighting network, as well as blocking traffic across the VLANS. 

The stands I use for the Mesh Units are from B&H. Cheap, compact, and perfect for what I need. 

The AP's might not always be at the POE switch, so I keep the Bricks attached to the stands for that purpose; and the AP's & Brick stay attached to the pipe of the Mic Stand. 

Everything fits nicely in a 1510 Pelican, with space for a couple lights. 

IMG_1527.JPGPacked Pelican

IMG_4661.JPGAP's and Stands in their cutouts.

IMG_5606.JPGEmpty Case/Foam Cutouts.IMG_7633.JPGUSG/Switch/CK Board 

IMG_9230.JPGAP

IMG_5250.JPGAP

{"location":{"title":"DeKalb, IL 60115, USA","placeId":"ChIJeXu6lUgrD4gRhLbwLnQyYc8"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Portable Unifi system for remote control and Internet access on occasion. ","mainImage":"154474i0C682BF36D2BFC54"}

Comments
by
on ‎04-26-2018 03:27 PM

I have been considering making something like this for trips.

Basically just a USG and a UAP-AC-Lite or Pro taped together. I have a cloud hosted controller so it would be great for hotels or travel where I want to VPN home. Like the Amplifi device that does this.

I wish the USG has PoE af/at though

by
on ‎04-26-2018 05:28 PM

I don't always have internet access with the setup, so I wanted to have the CK local to the network for any changes I need to make. 

by
on ‎04-30-2018 03:24 PM

As I’m sure you’re aware, there are a couple of solutions, one in particular, that would work well for giving you internet acccess all the time, if that’s a requirement. 

by
on ‎05-02-2018 11:28 AM

For the USG, you could use an at/af adapter. There's a few out there, some have a static connector, others let you change voltage and use your own DC-DC connector. Have a look at examples:

Static 12v, 10/100, assuming the DC connector works: https://www.amazon.com/ANVISION-Splitter-Adapter-Compliant-Wireless/dp/B01K4RKZF8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=...

Gigabit capable with various DC connectors. https://www.amazon.com/ANVISION-Splitter-Multi-Size-1000Mbps-Compliant/dp/B01JCLJVMU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa...

by
on ‎05-10-2018 07:44 AM

I always like geeking out on portable setups. I have a Mikrotik mAP going into a phone charger powerbank, which also powers a U installer which powers a Nanostation. 
Nice setup though for sure. especially the mesh radios.

by
on ‎05-14-2018 04:55 AM

How do you keep your cloud key from corrupting?  In a portable setting, I'd constantly forget to bring it down properly.

by
on ‎05-15-2018 09:51 AM

Once I have it booted up, its generally on UPS power until the end of the event.

When i do shut it down, I generally just unplug it, and don't do anything special for the shutdown (probably bad practice). I keep a backup of the config, just in case I need to do a restore. 

by
on ‎05-26-2018 07:08 PM

I am trying to set up something very similar, USG, CK, AP, POE Switch 8 but here's the rub:  Often times we will only be in a place that has an existing wifi service.  I will often use a home grade wireless router, convert it to a wireless repeater to grab / extend the signal and then use that device switch ports for plugging in devices.  The building wifi serves up all the routing and DHCP info for any devices connecting and usually we cannot make any changes to that.

I can set up the repeater, connect the CK, AP and SW and it works reasonably well.  I have been unable to figure out a way to get the USG running as well on that wifi provided subnet.  You cannot turn it to bridge mode and i cannot get it to play nicely with the backend services.  

Anyone have ideas on potential solutions or work-arounds?

by
‎06-27-2018 10:13 PM - edited ‎06-27-2018 10:15 PM

I'm looking to do the same and pack the pelican 1510 with Ubiquiti 24 port switch, Ubiquiti 8 port POE switch, Edgerouter 4, (2) AC Mesh, and cloud key. Do you think a Ubiquiti 24 port switch will fit in the pelican 1510 with the other devices?