4 weeks ago
Portable Wifi System
Reason for Installation
Portable Unifi system for remote control and Internet access on occasion.
Used Products
×1
×2
×1
×1
Description

I work on events and often need to remotely access the lighting system to focus the lights. Occasionally I wanted the ability to have a separete SSID for internet access. Having worked with all of the UBNT equipment, I knew I could come up with a system that would be portable, and function well in any environment. Range was important to me, because I am often 200-300ft away from the AP, and adding another AP isn't always possible. 

I have been looking to build a small, portable, Unifi system that I can easily travel with for work.  I started with a single UAP-AC-Mesh to see how it worked out, and I was impressed with the range, and functionality. After the initial test, I expanded my system to include a 2nd AP, Cloudkey, USG, and 8 Port Switch. 

The lighting controllers I connect to are all set with static IP's, so I could easily just give my iPad a staic IP, but when other people need to connect, with limited networking knowledge, it made it easier to just have a USG as a simple DHCP server. Maybe a bit overkill, but having everything managed by the Unifi Controller makes things super easy. 

On occasion, creating a wireless network for internet access is asked of me. In that case the USG comes in handy to allow me to have a VLAN for Lighting, and one for Internet. On those occasions, I setup a second SSID for internet access, as well as firewall rules to block internet access on the Lighting network, as well as blocking traffic across the VLANS. 

The stands I use for the Mesh Units are from B&H. Cheap, compact, and perfect for what I need. 

The AP's might not always be at the POE switch, so I keep the Bricks attached to the stands for that purpose; and the AP's & Brick stay attached to the pipe of the Mic Stand. 

Everything fits nicely in a 1510 Pelican, with space for a couple lights. 

IMG_1527.JPGPacked Pelican

IMG_4661.JPGAP's and Stands in their cutouts.

IMG_5606.JPGEmpty Case/Foam Cutouts.IMG_7633.JPGUSG/Switch/CK Board 

IMG_9230.JPGAP

IMG_5250.JPGAP

Portable Wifi System

by 4 weeks ago

I work on events and often need to remotely access the lighting system to focus the lights. Occasionally I wanted the ability to have a separete SSID for internet access. Having worked with all of the UBNT equipment, I knew I could come up with a system that would be portable, and function well in any environment. Range was important to me, because I am often 200-300ft away from the AP, and adding another AP isn't always possible. 

I have been looking to build a small, portable, Unifi system that I can easily travel with for work.  I started with a single UAP-AC-Mesh to see how it worked out, and I was impressed with the range, and functionality. After the initial test, I expanded my system to include a 2nd AP, Cloudkey, USG, and 8 Port Switch. 

The lighting controllers I connect to are all set with static IP's, so I could easily just give my iPad a staic IP, but when other people need to connect, with limited networking knowledge, it made it easier to just have a USG as a simple DHCP server. Maybe a bit overkill, but having everything managed by the Unifi Controller makes things super easy. 

On occasion, creating a wireless network for internet access is asked of me. In that case the USG comes in handy to allow me to have a VLAN for Lighting, and one for Internet. On those occasions, I setup a second SSID for internet access, as well as firewall rules to block internet access on the Lighting network, as well as blocking traffic across the VLANS. 

The stands I use for the Mesh Units are from B&H. Cheap, compact, and perfect for what I need. 

The AP's might not always be at the POE switch, so I keep the Bricks attached to the stands for that purpose; and the AP's & Brick stay attached to the pipe of the Mic Stand. 

Everything fits nicely in a 1510 Pelican, with space for a couple lights. 

IMG_1527.JPGPacked Pelican

IMG_4661.JPGAP's and Stands in their cutouts.

IMG_5606.JPGEmpty Case/Foam Cutouts.IMG_7633.JPGUSG/Switch/CK Board 

IMG_9230.JPGAP

IMG_5250.JPGAP

{"location":{"title":"DeKalb, IL 60115, USA","placeId":"ChIJeXu6lUgrD4gRhLbwLnQyYc8"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Portable Unifi system for remote control and Internet access on occasion. ","mainImage":"154474i0C682BF36D2BFC54"}

Comments
by
4 weeks ago

I have been considering making something like this for trips.

Basically just a USG and a UAP-AC-Lite or Pro taped together. I have a cloud hosted controller so it would be great for hotels or travel where I want to VPN home. Like the Amplifi device that does this.

I wish the USG has PoE af/at though

by
4 weeks ago

I don't always have internet access with the setup, so I wanted to have the CK local to the network for any changes I need to make. 

by
3 weeks ago

As I’m sure you’re aware, there are a couple of solutions, one in particular, that would work well for giving you internet acccess all the time, if that’s a requirement. 

by
3 weeks ago

For the USG, you could use an at/af adapter. There's a few out there, some have a static connector, others let you change voltage and use your own DC-DC connector. Have a look at examples:

Static 12v, 10/100, assuming the DC connector works: https://www.amazon.com/ANVISION-Splitter-Adapter-Compliant-Wireless/dp/B01K4RKZF8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=...

Gigabit capable with various DC connectors. https://www.amazon.com/ANVISION-Splitter-Multi-Size-1000Mbps-Compliant/dp/B01JCLJVMU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa...

by
2 weeks ago

I always like geeking out on portable setups. I have a Mikrotik mAP going into a phone charger powerbank, which also powers a U installer which powers a Nanostation. 
Nice setup though for sure. especially the mesh radios.

by
a week ago

How do you keep your cloud key from corrupting?  In a portable setting, I'd constantly forget to bring it down properly.

by
a week ago

Once I have it booted up, its generally on UPS power until the end of the event.

When i do shut it down, I generally just unplug it, and don't do anything special for the shutdown (probably bad practice). I keep a backup of the config, just in case I need to do a restore.