×1
×2
×1
×5
×1
×2
×1
Description

Providing network for a 3 days music festival.

Our non-profit association is providing technical help for several Events including Music festival or e-sport events.

It's the second year we provide internet access (mostly wifi) on a 3 days music festival located in a park in Switzerland.

Previously on others event, we builded networks with mix of Cisco, ubiquiti, netgear, etc .. equipment.  This year for this festival i wanted to do the full (mostly) ubiquiti network (mix of edge, airmax, unifi).

s_IMG_1242.JPGduring festival

S_IMG_1253.JPGEmpty Festival (only a part is shown here)

The plan was to provide to the festival:

Wifi for staff in the staff area.

Wifi for artist in the artist area

Wifi in the 4 main bars for cash machine and staff.

Wifi and cable for the main office.

Lan was splitted between few Vlan and 3 ssid for staff/artist/cashmachine.

I wanted to test also the unfi cams and unifi video so took 1 G3 AF and 2 G3 flex.

s_IMG_1188.JPGTesting before implementation

Internet :

There is only 1 building in the park and there was only an DSL line of 10 megs there, so i opted to use this DSL for cash machine.

In a building next to the park we could have a fiber 100/100Mb at 100-200 meter approx, so we setup a PTP link using nanobeam AC 19 Gen2 from the roof of the park building to this internet connection. A 4G router has been also setup in case of.

s_ROHH2607.jpgPTP for Main internet

s_GPRC5654.jpgPTP for Main internet

s_TEPV7672.jpgPTP for main Internet (internet side)

Main router:

For the main router i took an EdgeRouter x SFP as i like them and they are quite reliable (never got unexpected reboot compared to usg). The EdgeRouter handle the DHCP, intervlans routing,etc..

DSL connection, 4G router, and the USG (connected to the PTP link with 100Mb fiber) where all connected to the Edgerouter and used a policy Based routing to route the traffic on the correct gateway (and to redirect traffic in case any internet link goes down)

VMware server :

Setup a small Vmware server (old shuttle) for unfi Video and UNMS

Main switches :

Used 2x  US-8 150W for main ethernet connectivity (tents, VMware server, cloud key, PTMP, router, some area of the festival, etc.)

Tried to power most of the devices using POE of the Switches, as one is getting quite hot (80C), we put 2 small fan on the side,I didn't want ot loose a switch during the festival. (no spare) .

The Bars :

We needed to setup wifi on 4 bar, one was quite near (30m) from the switches, a cable will be fine but the others were too far away for cable use. There comes airmax PTMP to the rescue Man Happy on the roof of the building a LBE 120 has been added to provide PTMP to 2 bars + another area (for a cam)  as the distance between the AP and the stations is only few hundred meter it work very well and the 120 degree antenna is quite handy.

On the bars, a small wood pole with a Nanostation 5AC, UAP-AC-M (inside tents)  and a G3 Flex (or G3 AF) feeded with a Nanoswitch and POE adapter 24V 1A worked without any problem.The nanoswitch is very handy and was quite happy that the 24V1A have just enought power to feed that. For the next time i will need to find a way to protect from rain the G3 flex because i've seen in the forum after the festival that they should not be under direct rain, luckily we got only few drops or rain during the festival.

s_TWLL8921.jpgPTMP for the Bars

s_IMG_1256.JPGa Bar pole (spot the g3 flex on another pole behind)

s_IMG_1252.JPGfull pole ( NS5 ACL, nanoswitch, g3, uap ac m inside the tent)

s_IMG_1246.JPGNanostation, G3 Flex and nanoswitch

The last bar was next to the artist area so used a wireless uplink.s_IMG_1230.JPGAC M (wireless uplink)

Artist area was done with a AC-M Pro 

s_IMG_1229.JPGACM Pro on the Office in artist area

s_IMG_1264.JPGEP-R6 used as a outside switch

The staff tent was setup using 2x UAP-AC-Pro configured on low power because there is only 20 meter between both, but wanted to handle quite a lot of staff under the tent in case of. (HD models are out of my budget for now).

s_IMG_1232.JPGAC Pro on the Staff Tent

All theses controled by a cloud key, and non-unifi was monitored by UNMS. All channel where setup for non-overlap (as possible),

bandwidth limitation in place for the staff and artist ssid.

We didn't have any issue during the festival, only few localised power cut but that was out of my control.

The cameras was a great addition, and probably we will add more next year. It's also funny to create some timelapse of the festival.s_IMG_1266.PNGtesting the cams

The only non-ubiquiti equipement used are the 4g router, a netgear switch and a tplink switch (both could be replaced by a us-8 or us-8 60w but no more budget, maybe ubnt want to sponsorize us for some equipement Man Happy )

I know that the cabling is not very clean but it is only for 3 days and we got 2 afternoon to build that up. (config and test done before)

It's interesting to see the difference when nobody is on site or with a lot of people on site. I could get wifi quite everywhere on the park after finished mounting the equipement (only a few people on site) .Tested again during the festival (with 6000-7000) people on site, it's not the same story, no wifi in the middle of the people, getting wifi only near the bars and where it was planned to get wifi (tested with a smartphone) . With tousand of smartphone in the area, it create quite a lot of interference and the range of wifi seems much limited.  So it's a good lesson to learn, don't expect to get the same coverage without and with tousand person on site, but was not an issue as it was planned to get wifi near the APs.

Finally everything went fine, 23'000 person in 3 evening. everybody was happy with the wifi.

Quick map of the networkPLW_PLAN_network_a.pngmap of network

Don't hesitate to comment or suggest any better option that could been done.

Nico

Providing network for a 3 days music festival

by ‎09-10-2018 02:28 PM - edited ‎09-10-2018 02:35 PM

Providing network for a 3 days music festival.

Our non-profit association is providing technical help for several Events including Music festival or e-sport events.

It's the second year we provide internet access (mostly wifi) on a 3 days music festival located in a park in Switzerland.

Previously on others event, we builded networks with mix of Cisco, ubiquiti, netgear, etc .. equipment.  This year for this festival i wanted to do the full (mostly) ubiquiti network (mix of edge, airmax, unifi).

s_IMG_1242.JPGduring festival

S_IMG_1253.JPGEmpty Festival (only a part is shown here)

The plan was to provide to the festival:

Wifi for staff in the staff area.

Wifi for artist in the artist area

Wifi in the 4 main bars for cash machine and staff.

Wifi and cable for the main office.

Lan was splitted between few Vlan and 3 ssid for staff/artist/cashmachine.

I wanted to test also the unfi cams and unifi video so took 1 G3 AF and 2 G3 flex.

s_IMG_1188.JPGTesting before implementation

Internet :

There is only 1 building in the park and there was only an DSL line of 10 megs there, so i opted to use this DSL for cash machine.

In a building next to the park we could have a fiber 100/100Mb at 100-200 meter approx, so we setup a PTP link using nanobeam AC 19 Gen2 from the roof of the park building to this internet connection. A 4G router has been also setup in case of.

s_ROHH2607.jpgPTP for Main internet

s_GPRC5654.jpgPTP for Main internet

s_TEPV7672.jpgPTP for main Internet (internet side)

Main router:

For the main router i took an EdgeRouter x SFP as i like them and they are quite reliable (never got unexpected reboot compared to usg). The EdgeRouter handle the DHCP, intervlans routing,etc..

DSL connection, 4G router, and the USG (connected to the PTP link with 100Mb fiber) where all connected to the Edgerouter and used a policy Based routing to route the traffic on the correct gateway (and to redirect traffic in case any internet link goes down)

VMware server :

Setup a small Vmware server (old shuttle) for unfi Video and UNMS

Main switches :

Used 2x  US-8 150W for main ethernet connectivity (tents, VMware server, cloud key, PTMP, router, some area of the festival, etc.)

Tried to power most of the devices using POE of the Switches, as one is getting quite hot (80C), we put 2 small fan on the side,I didn't want ot loose a switch during the festival. (no spare) .

The Bars :

We needed to setup wifi on 4 bar, one was quite near (30m) from the switches, a cable will be fine but the others were too far away for cable use. There comes airmax PTMP to the rescue Man Happy on the roof of the building a LBE 120 has been added to provide PTMP to 2 bars + another area (for a cam)  as the distance between the AP and the stations is only few hundred meter it work very well and the 120 degree antenna is quite handy.

On the bars, a small wood pole with a Nanostation 5AC, UAP-AC-M (inside tents)  and a G3 Flex (or G3 AF) feeded with a Nanoswitch and POE adapter 24V 1A worked without any problem.The nanoswitch is very handy and was quite happy that the 24V1A have just enought power to feed that. For the next time i will need to find a way to protect from rain the G3 flex because i've seen in the forum after the festival that they should not be under direct rain, luckily we got only few drops or rain during the festival.

s_TWLL8921.jpgPTMP for the Bars

s_IMG_1256.JPGa Bar pole (spot the g3 flex on another pole behind)

s_IMG_1252.JPGfull pole ( NS5 ACL, nanoswitch, g3, uap ac m inside the tent)

s_IMG_1246.JPGNanostation, G3 Flex and nanoswitch

The last bar was next to the artist area so used a wireless uplink.s_IMG_1230.JPGAC M (wireless uplink)

Artist area was done with a AC-M Pro 

s_IMG_1229.JPGACM Pro on the Office in artist area

s_IMG_1264.JPGEP-R6 used as a outside switch

The staff tent was setup using 2x UAP-AC-Pro configured on low power because there is only 20 meter between both, but wanted to handle quite a lot of staff under the tent in case of. (HD models are out of my budget for now).

s_IMG_1232.JPGAC Pro on the Staff Tent

All theses controled by a cloud key, and non-unifi was monitored by UNMS. All channel where setup for non-overlap (as possible),

bandwidth limitation in place for the staff and artist ssid.

We didn't have any issue during the festival, only few localised power cut but that was out of my control.

The cameras was a great addition, and probably we will add more next year. It's also funny to create some timelapse of the festival.s_IMG_1266.PNGtesting the cams

The only non-ubiquiti equipement used are the 4g router, a netgear switch and a tplink switch (both could be replaced by a us-8 or us-8 60w but no more budget, maybe ubnt want to sponsorize us for some equipement Man Happy )

I know that the cabling is not very clean but it is only for 3 days and we got 2 afternoon to build that up. (config and test done before)

It's interesting to see the difference when nobody is on site or with a lot of people on site. I could get wifi quite everywhere on the park after finished mounting the equipement (only a few people on site) .Tested again during the festival (with 6000-7000) people on site, it's not the same story, no wifi in the middle of the people, getting wifi only near the bars and where it was planned to get wifi (tested with a smartphone) . With tousand of smartphone in the area, it create quite a lot of interference and the range of wifi seems much limited.  So it's a good lesson to learn, don't expect to get the same coverage without and with tousand person on site, but was not an issue as it was planned to get wifi near the APs.

Finally everything went fine, 23'000 person in 3 evening. everybody was happy with the wifi.

Quick map of the networkPLW_PLAN_network_a.pngmap of network

Don't hesitate to comment or suggest any better option that could been done.

Nico

{"location":{"title":"Switzerland","placeId":"ChIJYW1Zb-9kjEcRFXvLDxG1Vlw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-pro-ap-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":5},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"174154i33C065BBB6914869"}

Comments
by
on ‎09-11-2018 09:18 AM

Hey Nico. Very nice storyMan Happy

Which software did you use for the network diagram? 

Thanks

by
on ‎09-11-2018 09:25 AM

Hello,

Used Gliffy and imported some ubiquiti thumbnails to get the real picture of the hardware.

it's a cloud based tool and free up to 5 diagrams. 

by
on ‎09-17-2018 10:24 PM

Hi Nico,

I hope you don't mind a question from an amateur. I'm trying to understand the loop formed by the ER-X, USG, US-8, and the other little switch (Netgear?). What is the purpose of the connection from the US-8 to the Netgear? It seems like it's bypassing the router/gateway to get to INET MAIN. Is it for PoE only, no data?

Thanks for the post, I have learned some things from it.

Tom

by
‎09-18-2018 01:10 AM - edited ‎09-18-2018 01:12 AM

Hi,

Happy to reply to any question, it's the way to learn.
I'm also not an expert, always happy to get any recommendation or change proposal on my setup.

This "loop" was the easiest way to get acces to the management of the 2 nanobeam. As they are on the Wan port or the USG and not on the Lan, I wanted to to be able to manage and monitor them directly from the lan.

So i set the management lan of both nanobeam on VLAN 15, (internet data untagged and mgt on tagged vlan 15). the netgear port facing the USG WAN will forward only untagged data (internet data) and the port facing the US-8 will pass only the Vlan15 traffic (nanobeam management). So it not really a loop but looks more like a splitter Man Happy

Quite sure that there is a way to do it directly on the WAN of the USG, but don't wanted to deal with more routing on the USG and the Json files, was a bit in a hurry to find a way to manage the nanobeam so i used this method.

Also as the netgoear is POE, is used it to power the nanobeam, but was not his primary function. 

some post about this specific setup :
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Need-to-manage-two-Nanobeams-that-are-connecte...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Wireless-Networking/Sending-WAN-over-Nanobeam-AC-to-USG-w-UNMS-...

regards,

Nico

by
on ‎09-29-2018 12:40 PM

Nice job!!

by
on ‎10-03-2018 07:09 AM

Hey I need your help man if you get online mail me or WhatsApp me +917448241009

I have issues with my network setup

by
on ‎10-03-2018 02:18 PM

Skynext,

I propose you to post your issues on the forum, would be happy to help, and quite sure other people too.

by
on ‎10-10-2018 05:41 PM

no screenshots of the controller/unms?

by
on ‎10-11-2018 12:15 PM

unfortunately i forgot to take screenshot during the event .. Man Sad

by
2 weeks ago

Hi @nmorisod,

Did you end up getting a working WiFi connection in the middle of the crowds at the end?