a week ago
Replacing cable gore with a sweet UniFi switches
Reason for Installation
An old 8 port PoE switch died, what better time to replace it with UniFi.
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

I am still cleaning up the wiring messes that the original installer made 5 years ago. About a month ago, the last outdoor switch that didn't have an enclosure died when it got filled with snow. It gave me a great reason to upgrade from the unmanaged Netgear to a UniFi switch. Since the patch panel and switch both needed to be replaced, I took the chance to put in a 16x16x8 metal enclosure. It is a YuCo branded enclosure from Amazon.  It was a pain to get mounted by myself but I can say that it is sturdy.

This picture is after I got the enclosure mounted and the cables punched down. It was a bit difficult to get it mounted by myself, even after I chained it to the rafters. To preserve the IP67 rating of the enclosure I ran two flexible conduits for most of the cables. The bigger one is for 7 cables that go into the main part of this barn. The smaller one is for the two uplink cables, one for CCTV, one for LAN. Then I put in two cable glands, one for the power cable and one for three CAT5e cables that were going the opposite direction of the other 7.

This is the enclosure when I just finished punching down the cables.This is the enclosure when I just finished punching down the cables.

This picture is the before picture of the second switch that I replaced, I was able to reduce 3 switches down to a single UniFi-8-60W. It powers two axis cameras, then two 802.11af to 24v adapters for a nano station loco M2 and TP -link wifi AP. I don't have an after picture of this spot.

This is before I put in a US-8-60W. I was able to go from 3 switches down to one.This is before I put in a US-8-60W. I was able to go from 3 switches down to one.

This is the before picture of the area with the switch that got snow in it. There is a managed Netgear switch for combining two unmanaged networks to get sent over a pair of nano stations. The other Netgear switch is an 8 port unmanaged PoE switch. it powers 4 axis cameras.

This is before I put in the US-8-150W. I went from two switches, down to one.This is before I put in the US-8-150W. I went from two switches, down to one.

While I waited for the two new switches and the enclosure to arrive, I took out all the old gear and did an auto topsy on the dead switch. It looked bad enough for me to not even attempt saving it.

Ever wonder what it looks like when a switch gets snow in it?Ever wonder what it looks like when a switch gets snow in it?

Once I got the new switches and enclosure I got straight to work. Before I went outside to get started, I mounted the US-8-150W and the patch panel to the backer panel for the enclosure. This gave me a chance to figure out what size and color patch cables I needed as well. Blue is LAN, green is CCTV, red is 24v passive POE.

I mounted the switch and patch panel to the backer panel while I was still inside.I mounted the switch and patch panel to the backer panel while I was still inside.

This picture is when I finished most of it. I still need to tidy up the power cable. I wanted to get an enclosure that could fit the UPS too but I couldn't find anything in my price range.  I don't know how the switch will do come summer when the outside temp goes up, but right now the switch is staying at about 30 degrees c while the outside temp is around 30 degrees f. If the switch gets too hot inside the enclosure I may need to leave the door open during the summer or find a way to get a small fan or something.

Here is the almost final picture, it still needs zip ties on the power cables.Here is the almost final picture, it still needs zip ties on the power cables.

Here is a screenshot from the controller. This was taken after it had been running for about two weeks.Capture1.PNG

Replacing cable gore with a sweet UniFi switches

by a week ago - last edited a week ago

I am still cleaning up the wiring messes that the original installer made 5 years ago. About a month ago, the last outdoor switch that didn't have an enclosure died when it got filled with snow. It gave me a great reason to upgrade from the unmanaged Netgear to a UniFi switch. Since the patch panel and switch both needed to be replaced, I took the chance to put in a 16x16x8 metal enclosure. It is a YuCo branded enclosure from Amazon.  It was a pain to get mounted by myself but I can say that it is sturdy.

This picture is after I got the enclosure mounted and the cables punched down. It was a bit difficult to get it mounted by myself, even after I chained it to the rafters. To preserve the IP67 rating of the enclosure I ran two flexible conduits for most of the cables. The bigger one is for 7 cables that go into the main part of this barn. The smaller one is for the two uplink cables, one for CCTV, one for LAN. Then I put in two cable glands, one for the power cable and one for three CAT5e cables that were going the opposite direction of the other 7.

This is the enclosure when I just finished punching down the cables.This is the enclosure when I just finished punching down the cables.

This picture is the before picture of the second switch that I replaced, I was able to reduce 3 switches down to a single UniFi-8-60W. It powers two axis cameras, then two 802.11af to 24v adapters for a nano station loco M2 and TP -link wifi AP. I don't have an after picture of this spot.

This is before I put in a US-8-60W. I was able to go from 3 switches down to one.This is before I put in a US-8-60W. I was able to go from 3 switches down to one.

This is the before picture of the area with the switch that got snow in it. There is a managed Netgear switch for combining two unmanaged networks to get sent over a pair of nano stations. The other Netgear switch is an 8 port unmanaged PoE switch. it powers 4 axis cameras.

This is before I put in the US-8-150W. I went from two switches, down to one.This is before I put in the US-8-150W. I went from two switches, down to one.

While I waited for the two new switches and the enclosure to arrive, I took out all the old gear and did an auto topsy on the dead switch. It looked bad enough for me to not even attempt saving it.

Ever wonder what it looks like when a switch gets snow in it?Ever wonder what it looks like when a switch gets snow in it?

Once I got the new switches and enclosure I got straight to work. Before I went outside to get started, I mounted the US-8-150W and the patch panel to the backer panel for the enclosure. This gave me a chance to figure out what size and color patch cables I needed as well. Blue is LAN, green is CCTV, red is 24v passive POE.

I mounted the switch and patch panel to the backer panel while I was still inside.I mounted the switch and patch panel to the backer panel while I was still inside.

This picture is when I finished most of it. I still need to tidy up the power cable. I wanted to get an enclosure that could fit the UPS too but I couldn't find anything in my price range.  I don't know how the switch will do come summer when the outside temp goes up, but right now the switch is staying at about 30 degrees c while the outside temp is around 30 degrees f. If the switch gets too hot inside the enclosure I may need to leave the door open during the summer or find a way to get a small fan or something.

Here is the almost final picture, it still needs zip ties on the power cables.Here is the almost final picture, it still needs zip ties on the power cables.

Here is a screenshot from the controller. This was taken after it had been running for about two weeks.Capture1.PNG

{"location":{"title":"WI, USA","placeId":"ChIJr-OEkw_0qFIR1kmG-LjV1fI"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"An old 8 port PoE switch died, what better time to replace it with UniFi.","mainImage":"142529iE43234EF58B03654"}