02/10/2018
Replacing cable gore with a sweet UniFi switches
Reason for Installation
An old 8 port PoE switch died, what better time to replace it with UniFi.
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

I am still cleaning up the wiring messes that the original installer made 5 years ago. About a month ago, the last outdoor switch that didn't have an enclosure died when it got filled with snow. It gave me a great reason to upgrade from the unmanaged Netgear to a UniFi switch. Since the patch panel and switch both needed to be replaced, I took the chance to put in a 16x16x8 metal enclosure. It is a YuCo branded enclosure from Amazon.  It was a pain to get mounted by myself but I can say that it is sturdy.

This picture is after I got the enclosure mounted and the cables punched down. It was a bit difficult to get it mounted by myself, even after I chained it to the rafters. To preserve the IP67 rating of the enclosure I ran two flexible conduits for most of the cables. The bigger one is for 7 cables that go into the main part of this barn. The smaller one is for the two uplink cables, one for CCTV, one for LAN. Then I put in two cable glands, one for the power cable and one for three CAT5e cables that were going the opposite direction of the other 7.

20180120_112239.jpgThis is the enclosure when I just finished punching down the cables.

This picture is the before picture of the second switch that I replaced, I was able to reduce 3 switches down to a single UniFi-8-60W. It powers two axis cameras, then two 802.11af to 24v adapters for a nano station loco M2 and TP -link wifi AP. I don't have an after picture of this spot.

20170212_163516.jpgThis is before I put in a US-8-60W. I was able to go from 3 switches down to one.

This is the before picture of the area with the switch that got snow in it. There is a managed Netgear switch for combining two unmanaged networks to get sent over a pair of nano stations. The other Netgear switch is an 8 port unmanaged PoE switch. it powers 4 axis cameras.

20180113_162154.jpgThis is before I put in the US-8-150W. I went from two switches, down to one.

While I waited for the two new switches and the enclosure to arrive, I took out all the old gear and did an auto topsy on the dead switch. It looked bad enough for me to not even attempt saving it.

20180114_141047.jpgEver wonder what it looks like when a switch gets snow in it?

Once I got the new switches and enclosure I got straight to work. Before I went outside to get started, I mounted the US-8-150W and the patch panel to the backer panel for the enclosure. This gave me a chance to figure out what size and color patch cables I needed as well. Blue is LAN, green is CCTV, red is 24v passive POE.

20180119_063602.jpgI mounted the switch and patch panel to the backer panel while I was still inside.

This picture is when I finished most of it. I still need to tidy up the power cable. I wanted to get an enclosure that could fit the UPS too but I couldn't find anything in my price range.  I don't know how the switch will do come summer when the outside temp goes up, but right now the switch is staying at about 30 degrees c while the outside temp is around 30 degrees f. If the switch gets too hot inside the enclosure I may need to leave the door open during the summer or find a way to get a small fan or something.

20180120_112316.jpgHere is the almost final picture, it still needs zip ties on the power cables.

Here is a screenshot from the controller. This was taken after it had been running for about two weeks.Capture1.PNG

Replacing cable gore with a sweet UniFi switches

by ‎02-10-2018 02:37 PM - edited ‎02-11-2018 06:19 AM

I am still cleaning up the wiring messes that the original installer made 5 years ago. About a month ago, the last outdoor switch that didn't have an enclosure died when it got filled with snow. It gave me a great reason to upgrade from the unmanaged Netgear to a UniFi switch. Since the patch panel and switch both needed to be replaced, I took the chance to put in a 16x16x8 metal enclosure. It is a YuCo branded enclosure from Amazon.  It was a pain to get mounted by myself but I can say that it is sturdy.

This picture is after I got the enclosure mounted and the cables punched down. It was a bit difficult to get it mounted by myself, even after I chained it to the rafters. To preserve the IP67 rating of the enclosure I ran two flexible conduits for most of the cables. The bigger one is for 7 cables that go into the main part of this barn. The smaller one is for the two uplink cables, one for CCTV, one for LAN. Then I put in two cable glands, one for the power cable and one for three CAT5e cables that were going the opposite direction of the other 7.

20180120_112239.jpgThis is the enclosure when I just finished punching down the cables.

This picture is the before picture of the second switch that I replaced, I was able to reduce 3 switches down to a single UniFi-8-60W. It powers two axis cameras, then two 802.11af to 24v adapters for a nano station loco M2 and TP -link wifi AP. I don't have an after picture of this spot.

20170212_163516.jpgThis is before I put in a US-8-60W. I was able to go from 3 switches down to one.

This is the before picture of the area with the switch that got snow in it. There is a managed Netgear switch for combining two unmanaged networks to get sent over a pair of nano stations. The other Netgear switch is an 8 port unmanaged PoE switch. it powers 4 axis cameras.

20180113_162154.jpgThis is before I put in the US-8-150W. I went from two switches, down to one.

While I waited for the two new switches and the enclosure to arrive, I took out all the old gear and did an auto topsy on the dead switch. It looked bad enough for me to not even attempt saving it.

20180114_141047.jpgEver wonder what it looks like when a switch gets snow in it?

Once I got the new switches and enclosure I got straight to work. Before I went outside to get started, I mounted the US-8-150W and the patch panel to the backer panel for the enclosure. This gave me a chance to figure out what size and color patch cables I needed as well. Blue is LAN, green is CCTV, red is 24v passive POE.

20180119_063602.jpgI mounted the switch and patch panel to the backer panel while I was still inside.

This picture is when I finished most of it. I still need to tidy up the power cable. I wanted to get an enclosure that could fit the UPS too but I couldn't find anything in my price range.  I don't know how the switch will do come summer when the outside temp goes up, but right now the switch is staying at about 30 degrees c while the outside temp is around 30 degrees f. If the switch gets too hot inside the enclosure I may need to leave the door open during the summer or find a way to get a small fan or something.

20180120_112316.jpgHere is the almost final picture, it still needs zip ties on the power cables.

Here is a screenshot from the controller. This was taken after it had been running for about two weeks.Capture1.PNG

{"location":{"title":"WI, USA","placeId":"ChIJr-OEkw_0qFIR1kmG-LjV1fI"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"An old 8 port PoE switch died, what better time to replace it with UniFi.","mainImage":"142529iE43234EF58B03654"}