04/19/2019
Rural Wifi
Used Products
×2
×1
×1
×1
Description

Needed a solution for some Wifi & Video on a property with little to no phone service. 

Decided to go with NBN Satelite. Not the best internet connect, even when paying for upgraded speeds. Man Sad 

In the house, we have the NBN Modem, USG, Switch, AP, CKgen2+ & a NUC (was used for Unifi Video unitl upgrade). Yes, the cabling is a mess and still need to get to that. 

1.jpgHouse Network

Connected via wireless uplink, in the shed (about 35m away) we have a UAP Mesh, & 2 G3 Camera (so far)  Was going to throw a US-8-60w in there so i added a fan and filters to get some aif flow and keep out the insects. The fan intake is on the bottom and blows across the UAP Mesh. 

3.jpgShed Enclosure

5.jpgInside Enclosure

6.pngPuppy Cam

5.pngA+ latency ;-)

Keen for your suggestions on improvements and upgrades. As we all love to upgrade out networks. 

Cheers 

Rural Wifi

by on ‎04-19-2019 05:09 PM - last edited a month ago

Needed a solution for some Wifi & Video on a property with little to no phone service. 

Decided to go with NBN Satelite. Not the best internet connect, even when paying for upgraded speeds. Man Sad 

In the house, we have the NBN Modem, USG, Switch, AP, CKgen2+ & a NUC (was used for Unifi Video unitl upgrade). Yes, the cabling is a mess and still need to get to that. 

1.jpgHouse Network

Connected via wireless uplink, in the shed (about 35m away) we have a UAP Mesh, & 2 G3 Camera (so far)  Was going to throw a US-8-60w in there so i added a fan and filters to get some aif flow and keep out the insects. The fan intake is on the bottom and blows across the UAP Mesh. 

3.jpgShed Enclosure

5.jpgInside Enclosure

6.pngPuppy Cam

5.pngA+ latency ;-)

Keen for your suggestions on improvements and upgrades. As we all love to upgrade out networks. 

Cheers 

{"location":{"title":"Yarrie Lake NSW, Australia","placeId":"ChIJD2noO0xCp2sR0LtDkLQJBgQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lr","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"202751i8867C576C5DD7702"}

Comments
by
on ‎04-20-2019 12:23 PM

1. Mounting UniFi Mesh on metallic surfaces isn't recommended if you need 360• coverage.

2. 695msec latency is pretty bad.

3. dropping a UAP between your Cloudkey and switch is also not good for coverage.

by
on ‎04-20-2019 12:23 PM

1. Mounting UniFi Mesh on metallic surfaces isn't recommended if you need 360• coverage.

2. 695msec latency is pretty bad.

3. dropping a UAP between your Cloudkey and switch is also not good for coverage.

by
a month ago

695ms is absolutely terrible.

Wonder what's up.

by
a month ago

@nexxusty, Ive just put it down to the Satelite Service that we receive and its even more terrble if the weather is bad.. Luckily, we are in a drought and we dont get rain or storms. But i could handle the poor connection if we did get some rain, as we really need it. Man Happy

by
a month ago

dropping a UAP between your Cloudkey and switch is also not good for coverage.

تالار

by
a month ago

It's always funny when foreigners comment on Australian internet connections.

Your 700ms~ is pretty normal for an NBN satelite connection, fixed wireless isnt an option for you?

If i were you I'd invest in a small rack and some shelves to sit some things on, and as said, get that AP mounted properly.

ps. is that a litter of new puppies in one of the shots?

by
a month ago - last edited a month ago

600-700ms latency is entirely normal and expected for NBN Skymuster satellite. I hope for your sake you are very rural/remote and not 5 minutes out of town like many people I know stuck on it.

Looks like you've put in a good solution otherwise, is it your property or are you doing a build for a customer? Looks like I'm not more than an hour or so from you anyway Man Happy