3 weeks ago
School Setup
Used Products
×2
×1
×1
×2
Description

I've been working with schools for 7 years now, and the one thing I cannot stand is large IT companies ripping them off.

Quotes for in excess of 15 thousand Euros for Wifi deployment.

Unifi made it simple, and affordable.

This was one small school, only 10 Aps, but changed the world for them and the kids.20180824_080138.jpg

This was for a larger school, in a much older building. If the walls weren't so thick, 5 would have done it well, but we decided let's future proof, double up, and have room for some small expansion in the future. The TPLinks were one's they had already bought, so might as well use them, but this let us expand quite a bit. They had three comms racks so we'd only have 3-4 going back to each, so the smaller POE switches made sense.

The school loves what they have and were so happy to have a fully functional network

20181108_082842.jpg

Below was the empty small comms rack, that had never been used, getting ready to be all cabled up. Should have really taken another picture afterwards.20160822_140045.jpg

The next project, this is ALL being replaced over April bringing the school up to full gigabit networking, and full of Unifi Goodness!

20190124_091540.jpg

School Setup

by 3 weeks ago

I've been working with schools for 7 years now, and the one thing I cannot stand is large IT companies ripping them off.

Quotes for in excess of 15 thousand Euros for Wifi deployment.

Unifi made it simple, and affordable.

This was one small school, only 10 Aps, but changed the world for them and the kids.20180824_080138.jpg

This was for a larger school, in a much older building. If the walls weren't so thick, 5 would have done it well, but we decided let's future proof, double up, and have room for some small expansion in the future. The TPLinks were one's they had already bought, so might as well use them, but this let us expand quite a bit. They had three comms racks so we'd only have 3-4 going back to each, so the smaller POE switches made sense.

The school loves what they have and were so happy to have a fully functional network

20181108_082842.jpg

Below was the empty small comms rack, that had never been used, getting ready to be all cabled up. Should have really taken another picture afterwards.20160822_140045.jpg

The next project, this is ALL being replaced over April bringing the school up to full gigabit networking, and full of Unifi Goodness!

20190124_091540.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Dublin, Ireland","placeId":"ChIJL6wn6oAOZ0gRoHExl6nHAAo"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro-5-pack","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"200195iFE69B671DFCA89D3"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

hope we get to see more of the progress!

by
3 weeks ago

Glad to see people doing good for others.  Well done, sir.

by
3 weeks ago

You're just using the basic USG for all of these installations? I assume with IPS turned off. Is that the edge device? What kind of WAN connection do these schools have?

by
3 weeks ago

@kerplunk 

A geat question. 90% of schools in Ireland use the school broadband scheme, which they are provided for with a Juniper Firewall by the Department that takes care of security and filtering (in theory), but gives schools an extremely limited range of ips (usually around 100 per school) to use.

So I take the lan side connection from the Juniper, have it go into the wan on the USG, and using then have a new DHCP range inside for anything and everything, with IPS off.

In the case of a school not going with the broadband scheme (first one coming up in two weeks), USG pro is used instead as it will be the edge device, and IPS will be enabled,

by
2 weeks ago

@Edutech Thank you for the information. Also, glad to hear you are not ripping off schools like other companies do. Smiley Happy

by
2 weeks ago

How you block unwanted pages?

How you set limits on broandband???? not wifi speed but BROANDBAND

by
Wednesday

Hi Sir,

I too would like to know how you block unwanted pages from students, e.g. adult sites, social media, etc.

On the other hand, the staff in the school would need access to social media.

Thx 

by
Wednesday - last edited Friday

Is that not a little too much gear for a Gen1 cloud key? I woud swap that out with a Gen2 if you get the opportunity.

by
Wednesday

@kerplunk Thanks, It's the one thing that I am heavily against is ripping off schools. I don't begrudge people making a living, but schools deserve to not be ripped off either.

@roman8888 

How does anyone filter something? With a filter system. Be it something small and simple like a p-hole, or blacklisting pages using  something like pfsense, or hell  even using opendns. There's a multitude of ways and means.

And limits on the broadband, well you can set in the  controller an upper speed in the configuration page. 

Everything you've asked is fairly clearly laid out  in the manual and FAQ. Give them a read.

@chunte_actonkl So, you want seperate filter systems for say the student wifi and the staff wifi? Easy. Seperate vlans, have the one for students have a full on filter system, and have a different one for the staff. Easy enough to do with time and effort.

@Scanstation Nope, works fine on a single cloud key with zero issues. Down the line may upgrade, but working to smaller budgets, you do the best you can.

by
Wednesday

@Edutech 

I've bought expensive devices that should this function has. Other cheaper devices has this fucntion. basic TPlink for example. so i dont want to use third part solution to make my requierements.
LIMIT BROADBAND.
Plese read FAQ by yourself and my question TOO.
Please send me a screen of setiings broandbadn section limit speed.
Because if you mean limit for group and WLAN so this is no Broandband limit.
When you set this limits you network speed will be limited too. for example when I want to upload or download from NAS in local network transfer will be limited too by this settings.
I want to transfer files in my local network by full speed but when i want to upload or download files from internet i want use this limits.

ANd what for cable (not wifi) )user? how i should limit cable connected users?
basic tplink has this option

Please next time read carefully and than answer