03/28/2019
School Setup
Used Products
×2
×1
×1
×2
Description

I've been working with schools for 7 years now, and the one thing I cannot stand is large IT companies ripping them off.

Quotes for in excess of 15 thousand Euros for Wifi deployment.

Unifi made it simple, and affordable.

This was one small school, only 10 Aps, but changed the world for them and the kids.20180824_080138.jpg

This was for a larger school, in a much older building. If the walls weren't so thick, 5 would have done it well, but we decided let's future proof, double up, and have room for some small expansion in the future. The TPLinks were one's they had already bought, so might as well use them, but this let us expand quite a bit. They had three comms racks so we'd only have 3-4 going back to each, so the smaller POE switches made sense.

The school loves what they have and were so happy to have a fully functional network

20181108_082842.jpg

Below was the empty small comms rack, that had never been used, getting ready to be all cabled up. Should have really taken another picture afterwards.20160822_140045.jpg

The next project, this is ALL being replaced over April bringing the school up to full gigabit networking, and full of Unifi Goodness!

20190124_091540.jpg

School Setup

by on ‎03-28-2019 09:42 AM

I've been working with schools for 7 years now, and the one thing I cannot stand is large IT companies ripping them off.

Quotes for in excess of 15 thousand Euros for Wifi deployment.

Unifi made it simple, and affordable.

This was one small school, only 10 Aps, but changed the world for them and the kids.20180824_080138.jpg

This was for a larger school, in a much older building. If the walls weren't so thick, 5 would have done it well, but we decided let's future proof, double up, and have room for some small expansion in the future. The TPLinks were one's they had already bought, so might as well use them, but this let us expand quite a bit. They had three comms racks so we'd only have 3-4 going back to each, so the smaller POE switches made sense.

The school loves what they have and were so happy to have a fully functional network

20181108_082842.jpg

Below was the empty small comms rack, that had never been used, getting ready to be all cabled up. Should have really taken another picture afterwards.20160822_140045.jpg

The next project, this is ALL being replaced over April bringing the school up to full gigabit networking, and full of Unifi Goodness!

20190124_091540.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Dublin, Ireland","placeId":"ChIJL6wn6oAOZ0gRoHExl6nHAAo"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro-5-pack","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"200195iFE69B671DFCA89D3"}

Comments
by
on ‎04-18-2019 04:07 PM

@demonmaestro hhm.. where would the VM be hosted? Is there a way to setup a VM on the USG or Cloud Key?

by
on ‎04-18-2019 05:32 PM

@chunte You can host a VM on any computer that you leave on in this case due to you wanting to use it for a DNS.

Any other questions or farther support on this please open your own thread in the unifi sections or please fill free to send me a private message and I will be gladly happy to help you out more. (I am trying not to derail @Edutech thread too much as we wait for all that glorious hardware/install pictures.)

by
a month ago

@demonmaestro 

Can't that be prevented with a firewall rule to only allow DNS requests to the requested DNS server, or Group Policies to restrict access to changing DNS settings?