Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Simple Home Wireless Network - Jakarta, Indonesia

by on ‎06-14-2017 12:19 PM

Hi friends,

I live in a two-storey house totalling about ~350 sqm of living space. Here's a semi-accurate diagram of the house:

House map AE.png

In Indonesia, most houses are built with bricks covered with cement or with reinforced concrete. So pretty much ever black line in the above diagram is a solid hard surface. Many houses that are much bigger than this one has even thicker walls. Getting wifi all around the house is naturally quite challenging.

The first serious wifi deloyment was using an airport extreme and and an airport express as indicated in the above diagram. The Airport Extreme were used to cover the whole lower floor and the express was on wireless extension mode. I used this config for a few years but this was not ideal as we weren't getting good coverage around the house and the internet speed upstairs were poor. I tried to troubleshoot this with a wired TP-link router upstairs (which ran for another year or so) before I decided to go with some serious gears.

I ended up picking up the following:

• EdgeRouter-X
  • 1 Unifi AP AC Lite
  • 1 Unifi AP AC Pro
  • 1 roll of Cat6 cable (I already have plenty of rj-45s, boots, crimper, etc on hand)
  • 1 patch panel

I configured the ER-X so that the Eth0 port is connected to the modem (owned by ISP) and Eth1-Eth4 as a switch for a separate network created by the ER-X.

Eth0 --> Cisco Docsis 3.0 modem

Eth1 --> Unifi AP AC Lite (lower floor)

Eth2 --> TP-link router on the upper floor only as a gigabit switch -->  Unifi AP AC Pro (upper floor)

Eth3 --> Apple Time Capsule as a simple file server

Eth4 --> empty

So, I ended up with the following configuration:House map ubnt.png

I let the AC Lite handle the whole lower floor, and since I'll be the one using 802.11ac to its full potential, I decided to put the AC Pro in my bedroom. I activated both 2G (HT20) and 5G (VHT80 ow yeah) radio, with 5G band steering.

Performance was great, ever single sqm of the house is covered with relatively strong signal.

I have 50 down/8 up and I've been getting these full speed (within 1 mbps) whereever I am indoors.

In my room, the wifi is nearly gigabit. I tested this by transferring very large files over wifi to a wired computer.

I also run the controller on an always-on wired computer so that I can always check up on it remotely using my cellphone or any other computer for that matter.

Here are some pictures from this simple install:

AC Pro on the ceiling (with the blue ring off)

20170615_002219.jpg

AC Lite on the piano (not ideal, gonna ceiling mount it soon)

20170615_002319.jpg

Patch panel with the ER-X hiding in the back

20170615_002358.jpg

Cisco modem and an Apple Time Capsule

20170615_002408.jpg

I've actually done another installation using all-Ubiquiti gear in a much, much larger house >1000sqm. The client has been very satisfied since day 1 and haven't had any serious problems. Maybe I'll have a separate post on this soon.

If any of you are in Jakarta, or Indonesia, let's link up.

Or if you want me to set up a solid and reliable home network within greater Jakarta area, just let me know.

Go UBNT!

Kefas Timothy

Fix-Jakarta

info@fix-jakarta.com

Comments
by
on ‎06-14-2017 05:36 PM

@fix-jakarta => hi there, I did 2 houses in Jakarta and Surabaya, and yes, the wall can be a nightmare ! Look at the UAP-AC-IW and UAP-AC-IW-PRO now ;-) it allow to have almost one access point per room (important room), and with really low power if required, and got a perfect roaming !

I did 1 house now with it in Singapore, and the result was astonishing, and planning to migrate 3, including the 2 in Indonesia to use it ;-)

Great wifi improvement I'm sure for your place 

by
on ‎06-15-2017 04:16 AM

Hi di3,

I been looking into buying the IW's for my next project. I'll put it under a more serious thought, then.

Thanks!

The results have been great, indeed.

-Kefas

by
2 weeks ago

Hi, I notice you have a Time Capsule ......

I'm contemplating installing a new network using AC Lite x 3. One question I can't get an answer to....

Presently, I back up wirelessly on my current poor network to an Apple Time Capsule.

Can an Apple Time Capsule be integrated into a new Ubiquity network, to allow wireless back up to Time Capsule?

by
2 weeks ago
Hi PSUD,

Absolutely. I'm still using my time capsule until this day.

I configured the time capsule to shut down its wireless function and switched over its routing function to bridge mode. Then I connected the time capsule (via ethernet, choose whichever but the WAN port) into my ubnt network.

As long as your Mac can detect your time capsule over the network, it should work just fine Man Happy

by
2 weeks ago

Good news, thanks.

Is it straightforward to shut down wireless function in the TC? And to switch over routing to bridge mode?

by
a week ago

@fix-jakarta Very cool! I've never seen people in Jakarta use Ubiquiti devices in a residential home setting.

by
a week ago
There are a couple. Some of them installed by us :-)
by
a week ago

@EDPR How fascinating! I also found, judging from everyone's entries, that you were all professionals. Amazing!

by
Thursday

@wburham There are a few; definitely not nearly enough, though Man Very Happy

If you're interested, just PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.

Cheers!

by
Thursday

@EDPR sweet, man! Have you posted some stories about this? Really wanna know.