×1
×1
×2
×2
×1
×1
×5
Description

I just wanted to share my upgraded Unifi setup. I've been running Unifi APs since the square wall mount ones first came out and recently upgraded to two XG APs and 5 AC HDs. My house was run with cat5e and I had to run a few cat6 cables to get the AP XGs to their 10G connection. On the server side, I have 3 Dell servers. An R730XD with Unraid, 16x4TB WD Red, and dual 10GB RJ45 NICs: an R530 with Windows Server 2019 Essentials, 6x8TB WD Gold, and dual 10GB Direct Attached Copper NICs: an R330 with Windows 10, 12x2TB Direct Attached Storage and dual 10GB Direct Attached Copper NICs. On the power side, 6 Backup Batteries including 3 Cyberpower 700VA, 1 Cyberpower 1000VA, 1 Cyberpower 500VA, and 1 APC 1500VA

Untitled.png

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Small 10G Home Network

by 3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

I just wanted to share my upgraded Unifi setup. I've been running Unifi APs since the square wall mount ones first came out and recently upgraded to two XG APs and 5 AC HDs. My house was run with cat5e and I had to run a few cat6 cables to get the AP XGs to their 10G connection. On the server side, I have 3 Dell servers. An R730XD with Unraid, 16x4TB WD Red, and dual 10GB RJ45 NICs: an R530 with Windows Server 2019 Essentials, 6x8TB WD Gold, and dual 10GB Direct Attached Copper NICs: an R330 with Windows 10, 12x2TB Direct Attached Storage and dual 10GB Direct Attached Copper NICs. On the power side, 6 Backup Batteries including 3 Cyberpower 700VA, 1 Cyberpower 1000VA, 1 Cyberpower 500VA, and 1 APC 1500VA

Untitled.png

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Inverness, IL 60067, USA","placeId":"ChIJST_YjkqhD4gRGbK_g0XISNY"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-application-server","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-xg","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-xg-beta","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-48","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-24","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":5}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"196695i373153E687A059DD"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

Hey! Excellent setup! Glad to see someone near me fully UniFi'ing their home as well! I'm in Carol Stream. I would love to get that XG switch in my home. Its not needed at all, but why not! Man Happy 

I like that you have the 48 port switches. Did you know that UBNT just came out last week with a new switch? Its in the BETA store at the moment but it has 4x 10gbps fiber ports and BT++ power on 8 ports for the XG and i'm sure more devices in the future.

Again great job! 

by
3 weeks ago

Hey! I got the same telephone.

Oh thats a nice rack as well.

by
2 weeks ago

WOW that is amazing setup i have R730XD on work and love this servers

by
2 weeks ago

How mutch is the power bill? :-D Nice setup

by
a week ago

@jake347 Do you see real-world improvement with the XG over the HD?  I have FTTH and wired mine with 2 cat6a so I could move to the XG, but installed HD's for now (10G Home Data Center) because of the price, and I wasn't sure it would really improve performance.  I see about 400 Mbps on my HDs.

by
a week ago

@bferrell I have Comcast 1G Down and 25Mbps up and I see about 700-800Mbps throughout my house with my mixture of the two products. Testing was done on a iPhone X and a few iPad Pros

by
a week ago

@jake347 Wow.  Maybe I'll have to pick one up then.  I'm still rocking the iPhone 7 but will replace it soon, and have teh 12.9" Pro.  I get 900Mbps/250 on my wired network, but can't push that on the WiFi yet - I max the 250 uplink but can only get about 450 on the WiFi with the HD.

by
Sunday

Amazing setup. Do you have dual stack of IPv6 and IPv4 setup?  I am running dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 with subnets.  Curious if you have utilized the IPv6 home ISP provide and what your experience has been.

In addition I have always been paranoid about putting hardware in the basement.  Is that in your basement?  Assuming it is because I see your well, water filtration and the walls appear they may have been treated.  Do you worry or do anything practive for the hardward like utilize water sensors to detect water levels? 

nice networking

by
Sunday

@networkZenZilla  Thanks.  I do not currently use IPv6, though I would like to try sometime this year.  My fiber is through Cincinnati Bell, and they haven't rolled it out completely (though this tweet indicates they have started).  They provide a good service, but

As far as the basement, yes, it's in the basement, but a couple of things.  First, it's only a 1/2 basement, the top about 4' are above grade, and it slopes sharply as I have a walk-out to the backyard pool area in the back, so the dominate drainage is towards the creek to the side of my house so I don't expect to have flooding issues.  Second, I have a sump pump with a backup battery secondary pump, and yes, I have a flood sensor at the sump crock in case I begin to collect water.  

Also, the server room floor is elevated 4" for the wiring to come in from below, so it would take some significant accumulation to get above the floor, and I don't use the bottom several rack spaces (mostly because it's inconvenient to get that low and i don't need them all).  Also, the basement is fully conditioned, and in fact the new geothermal heating and air that we installed as both humidification and dehumidification so we should be able to pretty closely maintain the moisture levels.

by
yesterday

@jake347 love and appreciate the overkill here!

I'm in the Chicago suburbs as well and just completed my homelab project with a 15U wall mount rack setup with the XG Gateway and Switch.

One question: I have a 1G/35M Comcast business line at home and consistently get those speeds over eth, but via my 3 HDs (one on each floor) I can't seem to crack more than 450M down. Any tips for how you optimized for a low number of clients and max throughput? I've done a bunch of channel scans, power level adjustments and have improved a little, but no where near 700-800M. Please share your tips!

Thanks in advance!

Joe