Small Gigabit Home Network
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

The basic setup here is 2 years old, but I've been playing with placement of some items & have recently added the Netgear switch so I could get rid of the AT&T Gigapower router as noted in this thread. Feel like it's all in a good spot right now hence the post.

I had someone come out & run some strategic CAT6a in the wall so that I could get hardline connections to the necessary spots without going overboard & wiring the whole house/needing a network rack somewhere.

Fiber is run to the side of the house in a front room that would normally be a formal dining room (it's instead an extra living room/reading room – no TV). I had an old APC that I have it hooked up to so that I'm protected from any brown-outs that frequently happen in my neighborhood. When this APC dies will probably get something smaller, but as is it's all usually hidden by a narrow drawer unit.

IMG_1716.JPGAT&T ONT

Straight up from the ONT is my office, so it's an easy in-wall run up to there. Comes out from the wall into the Netgear, then over to the USG, and then the USW 8 60W. They're all protected by the APC unit mounted on the wall to the right. 7&8 on the USW go back into the wall & then up to long unused runs in the attic, eventually to be front & rear outdoor cameras. 5&6 power the USW & UAP (detailed below). 4 goes up to my desk, and 3 goes back down next to the ONT (because it was easy & why not – have no planned use for it).

IMG_1711.JPGNetgear GS105Ev2, USG, & USW 8 60W

The UAP AC Pro was mounted on the ceiling in a corner of the kitchen closest to the middle of the house. Main living room is open to the kitchen & those two rooms are where we spend most of our time so it's sufficient. The house is a recent build that's all wood/drywall so we've got no special considerations there. I've got a separate network set up for IoT which I've disabled the 5G network on so that the Nest Doorbell out front has a stable connection.

IMG_1713.JPGUAP AC Pro

The USW 8 is in the media cabinet & is PoE powered from the USW 8 60W in the office. 8 is passthrough PoE to power the Cloud Key. 6&7 are aggregated for the Synology. 3 goes to the TV on the IoT network (have a firewall rule so that it can access Plex on the Synology). 2 goes up to the PS4 (Static IP on the main network w/ UPnP).

IMG_1717.JPGUSW 8, Cloud Key, & Synology DS718+

After all that, topology is super simple. Have been very happy with the whole thing.

topology.png

Small Gigabit Home Network

by 2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

The basic setup here is 2 years old, but I've been playing with placement of some items & have recently added the Netgear switch so I could get rid of the AT&T Gigapower router as noted in this thread. Feel like it's all in a good spot right now hence the post.

I had someone come out & run some strategic CAT6a in the wall so that I could get hardline connections to the necessary spots without going overboard & wiring the whole house/needing a network rack somewhere.

Fiber is run to the side of the house in a front room that would normally be a formal dining room (it's instead an extra living room/reading room – no TV). I had an old APC that I have it hooked up to so that I'm protected from any brown-outs that frequently happen in my neighborhood. When this APC dies will probably get something smaller, but as is it's all usually hidden by a narrow drawer unit.

IMG_1716.JPGAT&T ONT

Straight up from the ONT is my office, so it's an easy in-wall run up to there. Comes out from the wall into the Netgear, then over to the USG, and then the USW 8 60W. They're all protected by the APC unit mounted on the wall to the right. 7&8 on the USW go back into the wall & then up to long unused runs in the attic, eventually to be front & rear outdoor cameras. 5&6 power the USW & UAP (detailed below). 4 goes up to my desk, and 3 goes back down next to the ONT (because it was easy & why not – have no planned use for it).

IMG_1711.JPGNetgear GS105Ev2, USG, & USW 8 60W

The UAP AC Pro was mounted on the ceiling in a corner of the kitchen closest to the middle of the house. Main living room is open to the kitchen & those two rooms are where we spend most of our time so it's sufficient. The house is a recent build that's all wood/drywall so we've got no special considerations there. I've got a separate network set up for IoT which I've disabled the 5G network on so that the Nest Doorbell out front has a stable connection.

IMG_1713.JPGUAP AC Pro

The USW 8 is in the media cabinet & is PoE powered from the USW 8 60W in the office. 8 is passthrough PoE to power the Cloud Key. 6&7 are aggregated for the Synology. 3 goes to the TV on the IoT network (have a firewall rule so that it can access Plex on the Synology). 2 goes up to the PS4 (Static IP on the main network w/ UPnP).

IMG_1717.JPGUSW 8, Cloud Key, & Synology DS718+

After all that, topology is super simple. Have been very happy with the whole thing.

topology.png

{"location":{"title":"Atlanta, GA, USA","placeId":"ChIJjQmTaV0E9YgRC2MLmS_e_mY"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"193032iC7D0C481EBA8967E"}

Comments
by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Curious as to the need for the NETGEAR switch - why not direct into the USG?

It is a nice clean setup!

by
2 weeks ago

The supplied AT&T Gigapower router used to sit in-between the ONT & the USG. It is required to establsh a connection to the AT&T network. There are a few problems with it though:

• It does not have a true bridge mode – at its most permissive settings it's still doing a bunch of stuff (looking for any telephony on the network, blocking 1.1.1.1, etc.)
  • It's big & is not wall-mountable. I had it in various spots over the last two years & was not happy with any of them

So the workaround is to utilize a switch that can do an 802.1Q VLAN. You plug in the AT&T router to it, let it start up & establish the connection – after that you can unplug it & put it in storage. The USG is set to clone the MAC address of the AT&T router, and when you plug it in to the switch, the AT&T network says "ok, I know you", and it doesn't need to establish the connection again. The "downside" to this is that if the switch loses power, you need to do this little dance again, but that's what the APC is for. Otherwise, now the USG is the only router on my network & I can be sure that any weird things that happen are the result of something I did, not AT&T.

by
2 weeks ago

good day just wanted to kow what are you useing to draw the diagram on last picture 

thanks 

by
2 weeks ago

Hi @awireless – the last diagram is part of the UniFi controller software: Map > Topology

by
2 weeks ago

are those monoprice slim cat6 patch cables you are using?

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@rambos420yeah I grabbed a bunch when they had a sale a few months ago. Since these are very short cables I've had no problems with PoE for the AC Pro or the USW 8.

by
yesterday

Can you provide some details on how the switch is setup and wihich VLANs you use for the USG and ATT  router?