Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

3 weeks ago
Sports club network rebuild with UniFi
Description

I took on a job recently to rebuild much of the computer network of a large sports club in my area (a Bowling Club -- lawn, not tenpin) and it turned out to be a decent-sized job.

They have a reasonably large internal network with office PCs, networked point-of-sale terminals and an assortment of other devices, as well as wireless provided for staff and customers over two different SSIDs. Previously it consisted of four different unmanaged switches, an assortment of ISP-provided modem/router/wireless devices and an old Microtik box, so I proposed they should unify it all with UniFi Man Happy

Some "before" pictures:

The "network" wall with the ISP router, too many cables and two unmanaged switchesThe "network" wall with the ISP router, too many cables and two unmanaged switchesThe top D-Link switch was another unmanaged switch with various patchings above, the gear below is an internal CCTV system and security systems for their gaming machines.The top D-Link switch was another unmanaged switch with various patchings above, the gear below is an internal CCTV system and security systems for their gaming machines.More of their network, some separate systems but enough space to put the new rack gear.More of their network, some separate systems but enough space to put the new rack gear.

So from this I put in the following:

UniFI Pro-4 Gateway

Unifi 24 Switch Lite

Unifi 8-150w POE switch

Unifi AC HD access point

Unifi AC LR access point x2

UniFi Cloud Key

I decided to go with the Lite and the 8-150 because they weren't going to need more than 4-5 POE ports and because the server cabinet is in the office where staff worked I decided a 24-500w switch would be too loud. They had a substantial number of ethernet devices on the network to be patched in anyway, so the extra ports help. So it's all the network gear on the 24-lite and the three access points and the Cloud Key in the 8-150w. 

After some setup and some issues with devices on a different network range (and some help here with that configuration), everything is now setup well. No more unmanaged switches and everything through a single network setup. They have a guest network setup with the UniFi portal and a staff network setup as the main internal network. They're happy with the result and I'm happy to have another regular customer Man Happy

The setup now -- I know the cabling could be neater, but at  least it's all central :)The setup now -- I know the cabling could be neater, but at least it's all central Man HappyThe "network wall has a lot less now, just the modem and a Cisco VOIP routerThe "network wall has a lot less now, just the modem and a Cisco VOIP routerOne of the AC LRs in the bar area (the other is in the office)One of the AC LRs in the bar area (the other is in the office)The AC HD in the large auditorium, which can regularly have several hundred people gathering.The AC HD in the large auditorium, which can regularly have several hundred people gathering.

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

@SteveT_Coona Looks similar to a job i did recently for a new client who had Pokies etc  installed and multiple SSIDs. Back office was also a mess of add-ons and switches all over the place in fact the only tidy bit was their separate CCTV server and wiring! I've proposed a Unifi solution to them also. Looks like you've managed to tidy yours up well :-)

This is what i was faced with!This is what i was faced with!

by
3 weeks ago

I read a few times that the LR is not a good access point, what do you think about the quality and stability of the signal?

by
3 weeks ago

From my testing and observation they seem fine for their purpose -- I've found the signal strong even in the outdoor areas around the building, coverage indoors is excellent. Haven't seen them test capacity of number of users yet. 

by
3 weeks ago

Nice work. But why not put a patch panel in there to clean things up a little more? Those work magic when making a rack look clean.

@Stocco - I love the AC-LR's they are my go to in houses. I think Pro's are a little overkill in most homes. I'll only put Pro's if the customer insists on having the best or they have GIG internet with heavy laptop use, to get the best speeds possible. Other than that I love the LR's I use them over the Lites to get a little extra boost on the 5Ghz, turning down the power on the 2.4.