×6
×1
×1
×1
×2
Description

Dear All,

its done, simply done.

I am pretty sure everybody here know the feeling of the family demanding for HD stream Bundesliga or Netflix but please at low costs.

To start with I live in Malaysia and my parents in Germany. This fact was one of the top facts why I choose Ubiquiti for the setup.
A Site 2 Site VPN (Both Sites on the same Controller) was required and a nagios on a banana pi is monitoring the network.

Controller:
The Controller runs on a AWS Win2012R2 machine in Frankfurt, setup can be done within minutes. Previously I had a Cloud Key which I was not happy with. Even the site/device move to the AWS machine was so easy. Just export the site and bam its done (of course you need a static IP). Once the support chatted me that AWS machines are not support but I found once a Ubiquiti Support article which mention AWS as a possible installation of the Controller Version.

berforechaos.jpegThe prvious "IT" corner, or how my fathe rused to say the "blinking area"

patchpanel.jpegThe "Star" where all lines connected to

Germany:

Network:
1. 1x USG
2. 9x Netgear smart managed switches (8/5port)
3. 4x AC Lite
4. 1x AP AC Mesh Outdoor
5. 1x NAS
6. 1x Server

The House has several floors and a huge garden, but not a single data/RJ45/network cable. everything in the past was build with repeaters and a FritzBox (which is still doing the VoIP Job).
I think we prepared approx. 1.2 KM of CAT7 cable across the whole house and garden. (its just fancy to have 1 Gig in the garden workshop Man Wink).
Almost every floor has its own distribution Switch. These are due to the budget not from Ubiquiti but netgear smart managed plus switches.

All Distribution switches are connected to a "big" 16port switch (netgear) as the "core switch". Uplink is done with a USG 3Port.
The DSL Modem is a ZyXEL which works basically as a bridge. PPOE is done via the USG.

Currently are only two SSIDs available:
1. Access Network
2. Guest Network

I

n future there are supposed to be more VLANs for e.g. CCTVs in one. But during the short holidays in my home country I can not really experiment and from the far I do not even dare to think about to kill my mothers facebook video....

Family demands are nowadays...

I

n the house 4x AP AC Lites are distributing the Wifi in each Floor. The Garden is currently only supplied with a AC Mesh Outdoor.

I had to the chance during the dual mode (old infrastructure + new infrastructure) to test out and use the wireless uplink function of the APs. Worked thats all.

But for the father (who always claimed, that WiFi in the garden is useless) the HD stream of Bundesliga was not smooth enough, eijooooooooooooooo.

All connection are 1 Gig (except some devices with 100Mbits interfaces). On top of that are several HD CCTVs which are buffered on a "Server" and backuped on a NAS.

In some location I had to many wall mount ports and empty ports, hence I crimped some cables and created "maintenance ports" in case I kill the WAN connection.

Malaysia:
The infrastructure is entirely Ubiquiti:

1. 1x USG
2. 2x AP AC Lite
3. 1x US-8-60W

First of, seems like Ubiquiti and our local ISP Telekom Malaysia have an "issue" as for e.g. in the local playstore the unifi App is not available. Seems like the big ISP doesn't like that their product has the same name "Unifi".
The installation is way more straight forward than in Germany. Yes all cables had to be placed aswell but it was easier as this is a flat and not a big house (well I am still young Man Wink).

The most awesome thing is, that due to the centralized controller everything just runs smooth. Even the splash page of the guest network, which is hosted in AWS Frankfurt, works superb.

As both Networks are connected via VPN, its so smooth to connect to the server, raspberries and bananapies via SSH or browser on the computer. Its easy, there is no need for extra VPON software.

I had though one issue with the firmware upgrade of the USG, the famous loop encountered on both sites. THANK YOU Ubiquiti, do you guys have any idea hoe to ssh with a father into a FW???? Man Wink

Unfortunately I do not have a lot of pictures.

One thing which I annoyed about is, that it is not possible to tag several VLANs on the WAN port. We use in Malaysia two VLANs (one for Internet, one for IPTV). Hence the family here has live with Netlfix and Youtube... Life is hard. I saw that feature request but still marked as "new".

Both infrastructures are designed as a star network.

Once again thank you to the support and the interesting stories from the community.

Cheers
Maxnetgear.jpegExapmle of 5Port netgear switch

starlights.jpgLooks fancy in the night Man Happy

thebrain.jpegThe Heart in the Cellar, why? Cause its cold.

The Network across continents EUROPE APAC

by a month ago

Dear All,

its done, simply done.

I am pretty sure everybody here know the feeling of the family demanding for HD stream Bundesliga or Netflix but please at low costs.

To start with I live in Malaysia and my parents in Germany. This fact was one of the top facts why I choose Ubiquiti for the setup.
A Site 2 Site VPN (Both Sites on the same Controller) was required and a nagios on a banana pi is monitoring the network.

Controller:
The Controller runs on a AWS Win2012R2 machine in Frankfurt, setup can be done within minutes. Previously I had a Cloud Key which I was not happy with. Even the site/device move to the AWS machine was so easy. Just export the site and bam its done (of course you need a static IP). Once the support chatted me that AWS machines are not support but I found once a Ubiquiti Support article which mention AWS as a possible installation of the Controller Version.

berforechaos.jpegThe prvious "IT" corner, or how my fathe rused to say the "blinking area"

patchpanel.jpegThe "Star" where all lines connected to

Germany:

Network:
1. 1x USG
2. 9x Netgear smart managed switches (8/5port)
3. 4x AC Lite
4. 1x AP AC Mesh Outdoor
5. 1x NAS
6. 1x Server

The House has several floors and a huge garden, but not a single data/RJ45/network cable. everything in the past was build with repeaters and a FritzBox (which is still doing the VoIP Job).
I think we prepared approx. 1.2 KM of CAT7 cable across the whole house and garden. (its just fancy to have 1 Gig in the garden workshop Man Wink).
Almost every floor has its own distribution Switch. These are due to the budget not from Ubiquiti but netgear smart managed plus switches.

All Distribution switches are connected to a "big" 16port switch (netgear) as the "core switch". Uplink is done with a USG 3Port.
The DSL Modem is a ZyXEL which works basically as a bridge. PPOE is done via the USG.

Currently are only two SSIDs available:
1. Access Network
2. Guest Network

I

n future there are supposed to be more VLANs for e.g. CCTVs in one. But during the short holidays in my home country I can not really experiment and from the far I do not even dare to think about to kill my mothers facebook video....

Family demands are nowadays...

I

n the house 4x AP AC Lites are distributing the Wifi in each Floor. The Garden is currently only supplied with a AC Mesh Outdoor.

I had to the chance during the dual mode (old infrastructure + new infrastructure) to test out and use the wireless uplink function of the APs. Worked thats all.

But for the father (who always claimed, that WiFi in the garden is useless) the HD stream of Bundesliga was not smooth enough, eijooooooooooooooo.

All connection are 1 Gig (except some devices with 100Mbits interfaces). On top of that are several HD CCTVs which are buffered on a "Server" and backuped on a NAS.

In some location I had to many wall mount ports and empty ports, hence I crimped some cables and created "maintenance ports" in case I kill the WAN connection.

Malaysia:
The infrastructure is entirely Ubiquiti:

1. 1x USG
2. 2x AP AC Lite
3. 1x US-8-60W

First of, seems like Ubiquiti and our local ISP Telekom Malaysia have an "issue" as for e.g. in the local playstore the unifi App is not available. Seems like the big ISP doesn't like that their product has the same name "Unifi".
The installation is way more straight forward than in Germany. Yes all cables had to be placed aswell but it was easier as this is a flat and not a big house (well I am still young Man Wink).

The most awesome thing is, that due to the centralized controller everything just runs smooth. Even the splash page of the guest network, which is hosted in AWS Frankfurt, works superb.

As both Networks are connected via VPN, its so smooth to connect to the server, raspberries and bananapies via SSH or browser on the computer. Its easy, there is no need for extra VPON software.

I had though one issue with the firmware upgrade of the USG, the famous loop encountered on both sites. THANK YOU Ubiquiti, do you guys have any idea hoe to ssh with a father into a FW???? Man Wink

Unfortunately I do not have a lot of pictures.

One thing which I annoyed about is, that it is not possible to tag several VLANs on the WAN port. We use in Malaysia two VLANs (one for Internet, one for IPTV). Hence the family here has live with Netlfix and Youtube... Life is hard. I saw that feature request but still marked as "new".

Both infrastructures are designed as a star network.

Once again thank you to the support and the interesting stories from the community.

Cheers
Maxnetgear.jpegExapmle of 5Port netgear switch

starlights.jpgLooks fancy in the night Man Happy

thebrain.jpegThe Heart in the Cellar, why? Cause its cold.

{"location":{"title":"Frankfurt am Main, Germany","placeId":"ChIJxZZwR28JvUcRAMawKVBDIgQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":6},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"178983iD263AC9A50B5FA89"}

Comments
by
a month ago

I take it you are providing a network at each location that tunnels across to the other site and allows people to use it as though they were in that country? I am looking to do something similar between the UK and Spain to get La Liga in London and iPlayer in Madrid. Did you do all the VPN setup via the JSON templates?

by
a month ago

Hi Jonny,

I use the standard Site2Site GUI option. As I currenlty have only two sites connected I am not sure how the network/GUI will react to a third connection. Each location uses their own gateway and ISP.

Cheers

by
4 weeks ago

Greetings from Malaysia Man Very Happy

Ah yes one of the big ISP in Malaysia doesn't like the unifi branding from other companies blocking even the Ubiquiti unifi app from the google play store as the unifi branding here is used by them widely. This has also caused some of Ubiquiti suppliers that I have bought here to rebrand the unifi logo or paste a sticker to cover the logo itself.
I wonder if Ubiquiti has an official channel to download the app other than the play store itself.

Unfortunately, iptv vlan tag for the WAN side is still not available in the GUI and has been requested for years although I'm still hoping it would be soon enough. For now, I have to use the JSON to tag several vlan to the WAN and bridge it to the appropriate port.

Nice setup btw especially the site-2-site VPN between continents