05/16/2018
The Rise of An Accidental Wi-Fi Test Lab
Reason for Installation
UniFi AP HD, AP SHD, Cloud Key, L2 PoE switch, UAS-XG, Windows 10 desktop, iPhone, iPad, Android Phone and Macbook Pro.
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

Start here, if you have not read that story already: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/UniFing-the-Spanish-Garden/cns-p/2323294

When I started to replace my Netgear X6 supported existing home Wi-Fi network with UniFi devices, I started with AP HD and Cloud Key, both connected to X6. Then replaced Netgear X6 with USG Pro.

The original plan was to buy few HD access points and mount them at various places in the house, all connected to a switch. The option to ceiling mount AP HD got eliminated, since the previous owner did not put any ethernet outlets in ceilings.  The amount of work and cost it would take to run ethernet cable to ceiling spots, after we had moved in, were very prohibitive. Pre-move-in renovations were already completed. Wall mounting AP HD was less ideal due to construction of the walls and possible locations for mounting the AP.

So instead of ceiling mounting the access point, I ended up placing it in middle of the house, on a counter or a stool.

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

My family was complaining that they were not getting good signal and speed.  So began to look for ways to test for it. I did what most would do….did a search on Google.  I found some tutorials and tools. In the UniFi Forums there were few mentions of iPerf as well.

I installed iPerf3 on my Windows 10 machine and ran it as a server.  On the clients side, I used iPerf3 on mac install via Homebrew and HE.NET Network Tools by Hurricane Electric.

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 2.44.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-16 at 2.44.34 PM.png

Soon after that, I found 2 other tools that worked better, as well as made testing easier.  I started using Fleet Remote on iOS devices and Magic iPerf including iPerf3 on Android device.

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 2.48.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-16 at 4.08.20 PM.png

After purchasing UAS-XG from the Early Access store, I installed iPerf3 on it via Linuxbrew. Now UAS-XG has replaced the Windows 10 machine as the iPerf3 server.

IMG_3496.JPGIMG_3504.JPG

Initially I started testing signal strength and throughput of AP HD and AP SHD, with firmware 3.9.15.  Since January of 2018, I have been publishing results of my signal and throughput tests at UniFi Signal and Throughput Tests.  

Community members have provided pointers on how to improve my testing. With support, encouragement and request of community members, I have expanded the list of APs that are included in testing as well as signal in dBm and RX and TX rates.  Some of the community members have reached out to communicate their appreciation and thanks. I am very happy to learn that my efforts are useful to others.

It turned out that my house is perfect location for testing Wi-Fi since I live rural part of the town and only other Wi-Fi device near my house is WISP dish.  With stationary clients such 14 Nest Learning Thermostats, 5 Amazon Echo devices and various other mobile devices, I am able to test for signal penetration in addition to throughput. However, I have not had time to consistently and regularly document this data and publish it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 3.39.50 PM.png

Over the last few months I have learned alot, about testing Wi-Fi as well as things I can to do improve consistency and reliability of my tests.  Currently I am putting together a new Wi-Fi test harness, stay tuned...for the Wi-Fi Testing Tower!

IMG_3620.JPG

by ‎05-16-2018 04:27 PM - edited ‎05-16-2018 08:25 PM

Start here, if you have not read that story already: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/UniFing-the-Spanish-Garden/cns-p/2323294

When I started to replace my Netgear X6 supported existing home Wi-Fi network with UniFi devices, I started with AP HD and Cloud Key, both connected to X6. Then replaced Netgear X6 with USG Pro.

The original plan was to buy few HD access points and mount them at various places in the house, all connected to a switch. The option to ceiling mount AP HD got eliminated, since the previous owner did not put any ethernet outlets in ceilings.  The amount of work and cost it would take to run ethernet cable to ceiling spots, after we had moved in, were very prohibitive. Pre-move-in renovations were already completed. Wall mounting AP HD was less ideal due to construction of the walls and possible locations for mounting the AP.

So instead of ceiling mounting the access point, I ended up placing it in middle of the house, on a counter or a stool.

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

My family was complaining that they were not getting good signal and speed.  So began to look for ways to test for it. I did what most would do….did a search on Google.  I found some tutorials and tools. In the UniFi Forums there were few mentions of iPerf as well.

I installed iPerf3 on my Windows 10 machine and ran it as a server.  On the clients side, I used iPerf3 on mac install via Homebrew and HE.NET Network Tools by Hurricane Electric.

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 2.44.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-16 at 2.44.34 PM.png

Soon after that, I found 2 other tools that worked better, as well as made testing easier.  I started using Fleet Remote on iOS devices and Magic iPerf including iPerf3 on Android device.

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 2.48.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-16 at 4.08.20 PM.png

After purchasing UAS-XG from the Early Access store, I installed iPerf3 on it via Linuxbrew. Now UAS-XG has replaced the Windows 10 machine as the iPerf3 server.

IMG_3496.JPGIMG_3504.JPG

Initially I started testing signal strength and throughput of AP HD and AP SHD, with firmware 3.9.15.  Since January of 2018, I have been publishing results of my signal and throughput tests at UniFi Signal and Throughput Tests.  

Community members have provided pointers on how to improve my testing. With support, encouragement and request of community members, I have expanded the list of APs that are included in testing as well as signal in dBm and RX and TX rates.  Some of the community members have reached out to communicate their appreciation and thanks. I am very happy to learn that my efforts are useful to others.

It turned out that my house is perfect location for testing Wi-Fi since I live rural part of the town and only other Wi-Fi device near my house is WISP dish.  With stationary clients such 14 Nest Learning Thermostats, 5 Amazon Echo devices and various other mobile devices, I am able to test for signal penetration in addition to throughput. However, I have not had time to consistently and regularly document this data and publish it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 3.39.50 PM.png

Over the last few months I have learned alot, about testing Wi-Fi as well as things I can to do improve consistency and reliability of my tests.  Currently I am putting together a new Wi-Fi test harness, stay tuned...for the Wi-Fi Testing Tower!

IMG_3620.JPG

{"location":{"title":"Chico, CA 95928, USA","placeId":"ChIJe03T35vvkIAR-ntC1gi12qE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ap-ac-shd","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-l2-poe","count":1},{"id":"unifi-application-server","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"UniFi AP HD, AP SHD, Cloud Key, L2 PoE switch, UAS-XG, Windows 10 desktop, iPhone, iPad, Android Phone and Macbook Pro.","mainImage":"157416i2A959F9601181CCC"}

Comments
by
on ‎05-19-2018 10:45 AM

Nice Story!

by
on ‎06-14-2018 10:10 AM

great, i will expect the next chapter about your test!

from ecuador a great day!