Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

07/16/2017
Tiny home Unifi update
Description

IMG_20170716_1335427.jpg

I made a new addition to my home network: A 4u, 10" network cabinet. Found it on Amazon for $20 and figured I might as well try it. The guy selling it assured me that it was 10" between the mounting posts......he obviously never actually measured it. Got the thing and it was more like 8.5", maybe a little more. Either way, my switch wouldn't even fit bewtween the posts.

Thankfully, the posts are just held in with some screws and nuts. I was able to swap the posts around and got 10.5" of space instead. This allowed the switch to fit and have one side screw down. The other side got the amazing zip-tie treatment instead. It's actually very securely mounted. I also had to buy a left-angle power cord for the switch. It isn't deep enough to fit the factory cord, but the left anlge fit really nice. Had to plug it in before mounting the switch though.

IMG_20170716_1338030.jpg

I also got a 120mm thermally controlled fan for the top of the cabinet for cheap as an add-on item. SInce I just have the USG sitting on top of the switch, I put the thermal probe between them. The fan is being powered by a 12v, 1A power supply that I think came from an old router. Hacked the plug off and connected a 3 pin fan connector from an old power splitter. So far, everything seems to be running nice and cool. It's really nice not having the cables just hanging out anymore too.

IMG_20170716_1337270.jpg

Next I had to figure out mounting it on the shelves. The width between the shelf posts was so close to the cabinet width that I just had to loosen a the screws on each side and it droped right in, but I needed some support that would also allow the cables to run out the bottom. Grabbed some scrap pegboard, marked it down the middle and gradually cut it with a box knife. Add some more zip-ties and I had a split platform for the cabinet. It flexes a little bit, but it's not going anywhere.  My zip-tie game is strong Man Happy.

Comments
by
on ‎07-16-2017 03:12 PM

Zip-ties are life!! :-)

by
on ‎07-17-2017 06:53 AM

That's a nifty little cabinet! Not sure I've ever seen such a thing. Trying to think of a way I could make use of one. Thanks for sharing!

by
on ‎07-17-2017 08:09 AM

That is a nifty cabinet for sure.  I am getting ready to finish my basement in my house and therefore need to clean up my cable mess and move it since that area will now be expected to be somewhat "presentable".  I have been looking for options on how to handle cables, routers, switches, and such in a more organized manner.

by
on ‎07-20-2017 05:02 PM

Just curious @Ulysys, what cart do you have the enclosure sitting on? 

Mahalo!

by
on ‎07-20-2017 05:19 PM

@adramalechIt's actually just a little 3 shelf rolling cart from Staples. It's normally $30, but I picked it up for $20 on sale a while ago. It was pure luck that the cabinet fit pretty much perfectly between the handles up top. Makes for a cute little network setup Man Happy

by
on ‎07-20-2017 05:25 PM

Sorry for bugging you again...did you have a link to it?  I might have to find an alternative place ot purchase something like that since I live in Hawaii and no Staples is available Man Happy

by
on ‎07-20-2017 05:29 PM
by
‎07-20-2017 05:30 PM - edited ‎07-20-2017 05:30 PM

Thank you @Ulysys!

by
on ‎07-20-2017 05:32 PM

@adramalech
No problem Man Happy.