I made a new addition to my home network: A 4u, 10" network cabinet. Found it on Amazon for $20 and figured I might as well try it. The guy selling it assured me that it was 10" between the mounting posts......he obviously never actually measured it. Got the thing and it was more like 8.5", maybe a little more. Either way, my switch wouldn't even fit bewtween the posts.
Thankfully, the posts are just held in with some screws and nuts. I was able to swap the posts around and got 10.5" of space instead. This allowed the switch to fit and have one side screw down. The other side got the amazing zip-tie treatment instead. It's actually very securely mounted. I also had to buy a left-angle power cord for the switch. It isn't deep enough to fit the factory cord, but the left anlge fit really nice. Had to plug it in before mounting the switch though.
I also got a 120mm thermally controlled fan for the top of the cabinet for cheap as an add-on item. SInce I just have the USG sitting on top of the switch, I put the thermal probe between them. The fan is being powered by a 12v, 1A power supply that I think came from an old router. Hacked the plug off and connected a 3 pin fan connector from an old power splitter. So far, everything seems to be running nice and cool. It's really nice not having the cables just hanging out anymore too.
Next I had to figure out mounting it on the shelves. The width between the shelf posts was so close to the cabinet width that I just had to loosen a the screws on each side and it droped right in, but I needed some support that would also allow the cables to run out the bottom. Grabbed some scrap pegboard, marked it down the middle and gradually cut it with a box knife. Add some more zip-ties and I had a split platform for the cabinet. It flexes a little bit, but it's not going anywhere. My zip-tie game is strong .