04/13/2018
UAS Moved to a new More stable Permanent home
Reason for Installation
UAS Serer being relocated for increased reliability.
Used Products
×1
40 East 400 South, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Description

Xmission UAS.jpg

Xmission UAS.jpg

Hello Ubnt Community,

I recently picked up a couple more clients and have come to the conclusion I needed to find a more permanent home for my controllers. I am currently Running Unifi Video, Unifi, and UNMS. I began to consider the cost of Colocation vs keeping my controller in my home. My internet and power seems to go up and down at random times. I Live in Utah so there is a few options for Colocation. I Turned to Utah's Longest Running Internet Service provider and business connectivity solutions Xmission. I have done business with Xmission off and on Ranging from simple email service, to Voice, to Cloud, Domains, Colo, almost anything they offer I have used at some point. I will include a link to their website at the end of this story. I spoke with their sales department about how much it would cost me to relocate my 1U Server to their Secure Colo Facility and they told me 75 dollars a month with a 12 month agreement. Which isn’t bad considering I had been paying 120 for Comcast for unlimited bandwidth on top of my gigabit connection. Xmission’s 75 dollar plan includes 100Mbps down 100Mbps up unlimited bandwidth. Also as some of my controllers sites are in other states (Virginia, and Nevada to name a few) the concern of reliability to Comcast’s route to the internet was a concern. The nice thing about Xmission is that the SLIX (Salt Lake Internet Exchange) is hosted in their building as well. They have a 20 Gbps direct link to the SLIX, along with redundant links to the internet, on site 24/7 support and system admins. The Security of this facility is extremely remarkable along with the Commitment to customer service I can’t find anywhere else. Real time monitoring takes place by on and offsite technicians and they catch problems before they arise. They also notify me in advance if there is a planned or scheduled maintenance that I need to be aware of and the actions being taken to mitigate the impact during the time. The transparency they offer too me as a customer about things going on is unbeaten by anyone else in the industry. I setup my account with sales and got my Biometric access. Xmission also takes customer’s privacy VERY Seriously. I was not allowed to take any photos inside the data center for security reasons. At any given time there is at least 3 cameras watching you inside the data center from different angles. My server is online now and I have no complaints whatsoever. I have 3 remote sites using Edgemax hardware, 7 or 8 using Unifi, and 2 sites using unifi video software piped into this server. If anybody is looking for a cloud sollution provider from a company that treats you with exceptional customer service, along with 99%+ uptime, look no further than Xmission. You don’t even have to live in Utah to use their services.

Xmission UAS.jpgMyself with Pete Ashdown (CEO of Xmission)

Xmission UAS.jpg

Special Thanks to Pete Ashdown (CEO of Xmission) for his and his company’s support doing this move.

Their website if you are interested in learning more about them, and what they offer on top of services is

www.xmission.com

@UBNT-Robert

@UBNT-MikeD

@UBNT-DavidS

@UBNT-jeff

@UBNT-schmid

@UBNT-TomS

@UBNT-Yen

@UBNT-Cody

@UBNT-JaM

@UBNT-cmb

@UBNT-Jindrich

@pashdown

@Alan87i

@TyShawn

@MAKuser

@eejimm

@ClaudeSS

UAS Moved to a new More stable Permanent home

by on ‎04-13-2018 09:00 AM

Xmission UAS.jpg

Xmission UAS.jpg

Hello Ubnt Community,

I recently picked up a couple more clients and have come to the conclusion I needed to find a more permanent home for my controllers. I am currently Running Unifi Video, Unifi, and UNMS. I began to consider the cost of Colocation vs keeping my controller in my home. My internet and power seems to go up and down at random times. I Live in Utah so there is a few options for Colocation. I Turned to Utah's Longest Running Internet Service provider and business connectivity solutions Xmission. I have done business with Xmission off and on Ranging from simple email service, to Voice, to Cloud, Domains, Colo, almost anything they offer I have used at some point. I will include a link to their website at the end of this story. I spoke with their sales department about how much it would cost me to relocate my 1U Server to their Secure Colo Facility and they told me 75 dollars a month with a 12 month agreement. Which isn’t bad considering I had been paying 120 for Comcast for unlimited bandwidth on top of my gigabit connection. Xmission’s 75 dollar plan includes 100Mbps down 100Mbps up unlimited bandwidth. Also as some of my controllers sites are in other states (Virginia, and Nevada to name a few) the concern of reliability to Comcast’s route to the internet was a concern. The nice thing about Xmission is that the SLIX (Salt Lake Internet Exchange) is hosted in their building as well. They have a 20 Gbps direct link to the SLIX, along with redundant links to the internet, on site 24/7 support and system admins. The Security of this facility is extremely remarkable along with the Commitment to customer service I can’t find anywhere else. Real time monitoring takes place by on and offsite technicians and they catch problems before they arise. They also notify me in advance if there is a planned or scheduled maintenance that I need to be aware of and the actions being taken to mitigate the impact during the time. The transparency they offer too me as a customer about things going on is unbeaten by anyone else in the industry. I setup my account with sales and got my Biometric access. Xmission also takes customer’s privacy VERY Seriously. I was not allowed to take any photos inside the data center for security reasons. At any given time there is at least 3 cameras watching you inside the data center from different angles. My server is online now and I have no complaints whatsoever. I have 3 remote sites using Edgemax hardware, 7 or 8 using Unifi, and 2 sites using unifi video software piped into this server. If anybody is looking for a cloud sollution provider from a company that treats you with exceptional customer service, along with 99%+ uptime, look no further than Xmission. You don’t even have to live in Utah to use their services.

Xmission UAS.jpgMyself with Pete Ashdown (CEO of Xmission)

Xmission UAS.jpg

Special Thanks to Pete Ashdown (CEO of Xmission) for his and his company’s support doing this move.

Their website if you are interested in learning more about them, and what they offer on top of services is

www.xmission.com

@UBNT-Robert

@UBNT-MikeD

@UBNT-DavidS

@UBNT-jeff

@UBNT-schmid

@UBNT-TomS

@UBNT-Yen

@UBNT-Cody

@UBNT-JaM

@UBNT-cmb

@UBNT-Jindrich

@pashdown

@Alan87i

@TyShawn

@MAKuser

@eejimm

@ClaudeSS

{"location":{"title":"40 East 400 South, Salt Lake City, UT, USA","placeId":"Eik0MCBFIDQwMCBTLCBTYWx0IExha2UgQ2l0eSwgVVQgODQxMTEsIFVTQQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-application-server","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"UAS Serer being relocated for increased reliability. ","mainImage":"152240i35AC07B76B039BA1"}

I can not teach you anything. I can only make you think. Please don't forget to mark posts as solutions, and to give kudos when something solves your issue.
Comments
by
on ‎04-13-2018 09:01 AM
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎04-13-2018 09:03 AM

Awesome!  @panthergm   !! 

by
on ‎04-13-2018 09:04 AM
by
on ‎04-13-2018 11:19 AM

Good job dude let me know how things look in a few months. 

by
on ‎04-13-2018 02:36 PM

How do they do security for a 1U customer?  The smallest locking compartments I have seen are 6U, although 4U doors were mentioned to me once in passing.

by
on ‎04-13-2018 02:49 PM

The security for the facility itself 

by
on ‎04-13-2018 03:07 PM

If you have to worry about other customers of the Data Center messing with your equipment, you might want to look for another Data Center.   We have had equipment of ours and our customers in a number of DCs over the years, and we've never seen any case of anyone doing anything to anyone elses equipment...

@panthergm nice story.

Jim

by
on ‎04-13-2018 06:03 PM

Wow... I am surprised you guys are ok with perimeter security alone.  Physical access to a server provides a number of opportunities, and generally the rule is to compartmentalize things as much as possible.  Most of our clients would want building perimeter, hall, cage, and cabinet level security, where each layer limits their exposure if they have a rack or less.

I can understand using locking front and rear bezels when you need to share, but the UAS doesn't even offer a locking front bezel.

I'm not even talking about what I would call "high security" clients either like banks or defense (which go to greater lengths).  It isn't just about being paranoid, it is limiting your exposure to problems and maintaining accountability.

by
‎04-13-2018 06:36 PM - edited ‎04-13-2018 06:37 PM

This facility has the highest security certifications along with a HIPPA certification.  Sure they do offer full cabinets and cage security.  I don’t need that for my controller though.  Mind you when you enter the facility there is 2 step biometric verification system.  While you are doing this you are being watched by 3 different  security cameras all at different angles.  which are monitored live 24 hours a day.  The security is higher then what I see at most banks