10/14/2016
Ubiquiti Upgrades for my Fioptics Installation
Description

I've been meaning to get back and do a story for my install, but was cleaning up my wiring and installing the UPS, but here it is.

I recently upgraded from my Netgear R7000 based network to support my 1Gbps Fioptics network in my ~4,000 SQFT house to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro-8 (would love to make this a USG when their is parity between the two) with Cisco SG300 core and local switches (which I'll swap with Ubiquitis as soon as they do L3 routing for VLANs), and UAP-AC-Pros (4) for WiFi.

I have my computer network on one VLAN, my 'entertainment' devices (Tivos-4, Smart TVs-3, Apple Tvs-3, iOS devices-7, Airport Express connected to whole-house-sound-3) on another, internet of things and Security (9 IP Cams and 2 garage door openers) on yet others, and a Guest network (both wired and wiresss) on separate VLANs.  All rooms have CAT5e to the core switch, but since there is only one wire (it's a circa 2000 home) the remote locations each have another SG300.  All backbone devices are 1G capable.  Each floor of the house has a UAP-AC-Pro, as does the 1,500 SQFT garage/workshop.  The core switch, web and security server, backup drives, and router are all rack mounted in the utility space with UPS backup, which also supports two of the access points.

The Edgerouter Pro delivers full line speed (for Fioptics at my location that is ~875Mbps down/250Mbps up), which is awesome for remote viewing my security cameras and Plex server.  I shamelessly stole the idea from someone on the forums here to use straws as a carrier for my Brother labels on the wires.  Here are some pictures.

IMG_3442.pngRack with door open - security software runningIMG_3444.pngRack with door closedIMG_3445.pngPower strip, Cisco SG300, EdgeRouter Pro, Rack mounted Mac Mini, and dual SANIMG_3446.pngIMG_3447.pngFiber Optic GatewayIMG_3448.pngHouse patch panel for Cat5E and Coax, with dual UAP feedsIMG_3449.pngUAP-AC-Pros thorughoutIMG_3450.pngCore switch lablesIMG_3451.pngDual WAN on the EdgerouterIMG_3452.pngSwitch, router, and lacing bars

2016-10-14_19-43-18.pngSpeedtest in US prime time TV hours...

Ubiquiti Upgrades for my Fioptics Installation

by ‎10-14-2016 04:16 PM - edited ‎10-14-2016 04:46 PM

I've been meaning to get back and do a story for my install, but was cleaning up my wiring and installing the UPS, but here it is.

I recently upgraded from my Netgear R7000 based network to support my 1Gbps Fioptics network in my ~4,000 SQFT house to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro-8 (would love to make this a USG when their is parity between the two) with Cisco SG300 core and local switches (which I'll swap with Ubiquitis as soon as they do L3 routing for VLANs), and UAP-AC-Pros (4) for WiFi.

I have my computer network on one VLAN, my 'entertainment' devices (Tivos-4, Smart TVs-3, Apple Tvs-3, iOS devices-7, Airport Express connected to whole-house-sound-3) on another, internet of things and Security (9 IP Cams and 2 garage door openers) on yet others, and a Guest network (both wired and wiresss) on separate VLANs.  All rooms have CAT5e to the core switch, but since there is only one wire (it's a circa 2000 home) the remote locations each have another SG300.  All backbone devices are 1G capable.  Each floor of the house has a UAP-AC-Pro, as does the 1,500 SQFT garage/workshop.  The core switch, web and security server, backup drives, and router are all rack mounted in the utility space with UPS backup, which also supports two of the access points.

The Edgerouter Pro delivers full line speed (for Fioptics at my location that is ~875Mbps down/250Mbps up), which is awesome for remote viewing my security cameras and Plex server.  I shamelessly stole the idea from someone on the forums here to use straws as a carrier for my Brother labels on the wires.  Here are some pictures.

IMG_3442.pngRack with door open - security software runningIMG_3444.pngRack with door closedIMG_3445.pngPower strip, Cisco SG300, EdgeRouter Pro, Rack mounted Mac Mini, and dual SANIMG_3446.pngIMG_3447.pngFiber Optic GatewayIMG_3448.pngHouse patch panel for Cat5E and Coax, with dual UAP feedsIMG_3449.pngUAP-AC-Pros thorughoutIMG_3450.pngCore switch lablesIMG_3451.pngDual WAN on the EdgerouterIMG_3452.pngSwitch, router, and lacing bars

2016-10-14_19-43-18.pngSpeedtest in US prime time TV hours...

Comments
by
on ‎10-14-2016 04:38 PM

It looks like a nice setup, but your filter for the images is crap. 

by
on ‎10-14-2016 04:41 PM

Yea, just reloaded them as PNG, don't know why that was happening, they looked great on my pc... very odd..

by
on ‎10-14-2016 05:05 PM

Awesome setup

Nice clean look

Where do you guys live to get residential 800mb internet service? I live in New Jersey and I get 25/5 through cable, no FIOS here and if it was 500mb service would be $400 a month, ouch

by
on ‎10-15-2016 05:15 AM

That would be Cincinnati OH and its suburbs (Cincinnati Bell Telcom)!  I live just a little too far north to get the service...my next house will not be. Man Happy

by
on ‎10-15-2016 10:59 AM

Yea, we're looking at new houses as well, and getting their 1Gig service is a must-have...

by
on ‎10-15-2016 11:22 AM

@bferrell  You using the ZeeVee mod to pump the security camer signal through out your homes coax system?  

by
on ‎10-15-2016 01:22 PM

@KimchiGUNnot yet, but that's my next planned upgrade.  You have experience with them?

by
on ‎10-15-2016 07:24 PM

Do you have any issues connecting to different subnets across VLANS? How are you routing between VLANs i.e. From WiFi to Apple TV? 

by
on ‎10-15-2016 07:43 PM

I don't have issues.  The SG300 can do layer 3 routing between VLANs, but so can the EdgeRouter (router-on-a-stick).  But the issue you raise is not the routing but Bonjour advertisements which don't cross VLANs natively.  I simply turned on mDNS Reflection on the COnfig Tree under Services on the edgerouter so it repeats the Airplay advertisements and the computers can then discover and connect to the AppleTVs on the other VLAN (the iPads are natively attached to the same VLAN on WiFi, but this would work too they were different).

by
on ‎10-15-2016 07:52 PM
FYI, EdgeSwitch can do L3 routing.