01/04/2018
UniFI'd Home :)
Reason for Installation
Wanted to have a single pane of glass for managing the network and knew that software defined networking was the way to go, UniFi provides a very cost effective foot int he door to SDN and overall i am very happy with the product
Used Products
×2
×2
×1
×1
×1
Description

Thought it might be time to share the setup i have recently put together for my home, it has gone through quite a few iterations, namely moving from Edgemax ERL over to UniFi (being that my first UniFI AP got me hooked on the ecosystem)

Setup consists of
- Unifi Cloud key, Mounted to 1ru blanking panel
- UniFi USG-PRO-4
- UniFi USW-48-500W (AT Version)
- 2x UniFi UAP-AP-PRO (Centrally mounted in the house)
- HP Microserver Gen8 (16gb Ram, Xeon 1265L, 4x SSD) Running ESXi 6.5 running ~ 10 VM's, 10gb NIC)
- Synology DS1817+ NAS with 56TB of SATA and 1x 256gb SSD Cache drive as well as a Synology 10gb NIC and 16gb Ram

- Many IP connected devices from PCs, Printers, IoT devices

- 6ru Rack, Patch leads, blanks etc all ordered from a local online retailer and eBay!

Network is configured with a number of VLANs segmenting various types of traffic, a full CCTV setup with a number of Hikvision cameras, some home automation amongst other things, everything in the home where possible is IP conected either via wireless or cable including alarm, air con, outlets, light switches to name a few

It all starts in my garage where i installed a recessed cabinet to house the NBN NTD, BBU and the 6x data ties back to my network cabinet (the NTD has 4x Data and 2x Voice ports on it, so i was catering for this if required in future) 

NBN NTD & BBUNBN NTD & BBU

I am one of the lucky, very few people in Australia to have what we call Gigabit NBN, which gives 1000 down, and 400 up Man Happy Thankfully the USG handles this well, although not too well with IPS enabled :-( Apparantly only the XG can do gigabit with IPS enabled, but the early access dosnt ship to Aus (Would love an XG to test hint hint @UBNT-cmb Smiley Happy )Recent speed test.Recent speed test.

There is a large walk in cupboard in the home i used this room to install a wall mounted 6ru cabinet where all the network points terminate to, my switch is mounted as well as the USG and CK

Rack, Server and NASRack, Server and NAS

Underneath this i have the Synology NAS and HP Microserver, i kept these out of the cabinet and put them on a custom shelf instead more to allo them to breath better, the cabinet gets ghot enough weith the USG and USWEaton 

APC UPS keeping everything running incase of power outage, this was installed on floor due to weight, and cabling routed through wall upto the cabinet.

APC  UPSAPC UPS
I wired the house with Cat 6 when it was built with ~ 40 outlets spread across the house for various devices coming back to a couple of 24 port patch panels in the above cabinet. Typically went 2-3 per bedroom for the tvs and devices, the theatre and study getting 4 - 5 outlets.

One of the AP's is centrally mounted in the home as you can see, the other is at the end of the home however i dont have a picture of it, but looks the same really, ceiling mounted.Centrally mounted AP AC PROCentrally mounted AP AC PRO

Sneak peak of one of the wall mounted tablets that connects to my HADashboard for controlling the home

Wall mounted tablet on 3D printed mountWall mounted tablet on 3D printed mount

Hope you enjoy my little setup

UniFI'd Home :)

by ‎01-04-2018 03:04 PM - edited ‎01-04-2018 03:20 PM

Thought it might be time to share the setup i have recently put together for my home, it has gone through quite a few iterations, namely moving from Edgemax ERL over to UniFi (being that my first UniFI AP got me hooked on the ecosystem)

Setup consists of
- Unifi Cloud key, Mounted to 1ru blanking panel
- UniFi USG-PRO-4
- UniFi USW-48-500W (AT Version)
- 2x UniFi UAP-AP-PRO (Centrally mounted in the house)
- HP Microserver Gen8 (16gb Ram, Xeon 1265L, 4x SSD) Running ESXi 6.5 running ~ 10 VM's, 10gb NIC)
- Synology DS1817+ NAS with 56TB of SATA and 1x 256gb SSD Cache drive as well as a Synology 10gb NIC and 16gb Ram

- Many IP connected devices from PCs, Printers, IoT devices

- 6ru Rack, Patch leads, blanks etc all ordered from a local online retailer and eBay!

Network is configured with a number of VLANs segmenting various types of traffic, a full CCTV setup with a number of Hikvision cameras, some home automation amongst other things, everything in the home where possible is IP conected either via wireless or cable including alarm, air con, outlets, light switches to name a few

It all starts in my garage where i installed a recessed cabinet to house the NBN NTD, BBU and the 6x data ties back to my network cabinet (the NTD has 4x Data and 2x Voice ports on it, so i was catering for this if required in future) 

NBN NTD & BBUNBN NTD & BBU

I am one of the lucky, very few people in Australia to have what we call Gigabit NBN, which gives 1000 down, and 400 up Man Happy Thankfully the USG handles this well, although not too well with IPS enabled :-( Apparantly only the XG can do gigabit with IPS enabled, but the early access dosnt ship to Aus (Would love an XG to test hint hint @UBNT-cmb Smiley Happy )Recent speed test.Recent speed test.

There is a large walk in cupboard in the home i used this room to install a wall mounted 6ru cabinet where all the network points terminate to, my switch is mounted as well as the USG and CK

Rack, Server and NASRack, Server and NAS

Underneath this i have the Synology NAS and HP Microserver, i kept these out of the cabinet and put them on a custom shelf instead more to allo them to breath better, the cabinet gets ghot enough weith the USG and USWEaton 

APC UPS keeping everything running incase of power outage, this was installed on floor due to weight, and cabling routed through wall upto the cabinet.

APC  UPSAPC UPS
I wired the house with Cat 6 when it was built with ~ 40 outlets spread across the house for various devices coming back to a couple of 24 port patch panels in the above cabinet. Typically went 2-3 per bedroom for the tvs and devices, the theatre and study getting 4 - 5 outlets.

One of the AP's is centrally mounted in the home as you can see, the other is at the end of the home however i dont have a picture of it, but looks the same really, ceiling mounted.Centrally mounted AP AC PROCentrally mounted AP AC PRO

Sneak peak of one of the wall mounted tablets that connects to my HADashboard for controlling the home

Wall mounted tablet on 3D printed mountWall mounted tablet on 3D printed mount

Hope you enjoy my little setup

{"location":{"title":"Australia","placeId":"ChIJ38WHZwf9KysRUhNblaFnglM"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2},{"id":"direct-attach-copper-cable-10-gbps-3-meters","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-48-500w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Wanted to have a single pane of glass for managing the network and knew that software defined networking was the way to go, UniFi provides a very cost effective foot int he door to SDN and overall i am very happy with the product","mainImage":"137263iECDF185755AAE84A"}

Comments
by
on ‎01-04-2018 09:29 PM

Wow! That setup sure looks great.

Is the gigabit NBN 2x 500/200 connections load balanced? What provider do you use for them?

I have FTTP but haven't seen any providers that offer 1000/400, or even 500/200. Would love to replicate the WAN situation you've got going there.

Overall great setup.

by
on ‎01-04-2018 09:31 PM

Nice setup!

What ISPs are offering gigabit NBN? I have NBN FTTP as well 😁

by
on ‎01-05-2018 01:45 PM

Great work Man Happy

by
on ‎01-05-2018 05:14 PM

Very tidy! 

Where'd you get those short patch cables? im also in Australia and have a similar setup (two patch panels below/above the switch).

by
on ‎01-06-2018 04:59 AM

Thanks all, Internet is a single 1000/400 link.

Patch cables are just 0.25s i got off ebay in a few packs.

by
on ‎01-07-2018 02:30 AM

Dataworld sell the tiny patch leads.

http://www.dataworld.com.au/cables/cat5e-cable/blue/

by
on ‎01-07-2018 02:31 AM

What are the wall switches and are they part of automation?

by
on ‎01-07-2018 11:19 PM

Nice one i find the USG-Pro-4 works extremely well on UFB (New Zealand equivilent of NBN) and i can see between 840-940Mbps on the Down and 470-520 Up. Just waiting untill Chorus (Fiber Operator) offers 10Gbit connections (already confirmed in the works) ofcourse i would need to upgrade to the USG-XG

by
on ‎01-09-2018 03:29 AM

Nice work! Are you in Wollongong on FTTP with MyRepublic? That's the one place and ISP I've heard offering full Gigabit NBN. A great setup you've got there, very well integrated. 

by
on ‎01-09-2018 03:46 AM

No I am across the ditch in New Zealand I am on Spark`s Ultra Fiber MAX plan that offers 1000/500Mbps

You can see my setup herehere https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/Full-UniFi-home-setup-New-Zealand/cns-p/2095853

In terms of your NBN speeds thats very good but they still need to get up-to the game by offering 50mbps as a base plan not maximum for many areas