a week ago
UniFi FTW
Used Products
×2
×1
×1
Description

So I came across the UniFi line of products a couple of years ago while living (and working) out of a 900sq foot apartment.  I work as a O365 Engineer for a large healthcare org and have the pleasure of working from home, which also gets more more time with the fam.  Anywho, I needed (ok wanted) more reliable wireless, so I checked out the Ubiquiti products starting with a simple AC Pro sitting on my desk.  I was impressed!

Flash foward about a year we realized we couldn't afford a home in the area we were at so we decided to move back to the area we had recently left (while still keeping the same job).  Decided to take advantage and upgrade the network even further.  We moved into a 50 year old 2,000+ sqft ranch, which makes it easy running new cables.  Bought a switch and eventually upgraded my old Reolinks to the G3 Flex.

I was originally going to just mount the switch on the wall with small patch panel, but found a good deal on a NavePoint enclosure.  Mounted it to the foundation wall with 2x4 and MDF.  We cut the cord a long time ago, so I also picked up a passive amplifier and bonded the antenna and cable internet to the electrical.

The network is slowly expanding.  I recently added an AP in the basement (where I winter for work) for a bit better 5GHz coverage as our walls are 3/4" board and plaster, although this was more futureproofing for when the toddler is no longer a toddler.  It's a cleaner install too Man Happy The APs are on top of each other between floors, but devices seem to roam okay (no 2G in the basement).  Hoping to add more G3's around.  I'd love to round it out with a USG Pro, but there's a few features of my PfSense that the USG doesn't have which makes me hesitate.  Obviously if money was no object, I'd look at the app server too, and maybe even put another switch upstairs just for the cameras...just because.

The best part with Unifi products is the ability to monitor and change the network at my parents a couple hours away with ease.  Just have them point to my cloud key and bam!

Thanks for the products and really enjoy reading these stories.  Makes me ponder becoming a WISP and/or rebooting my small tech services business!

313748E8-0417-417A-A554-087B6A06F446.JPG

IMG_2711.jpgSwitch, Synology, and other pieces

IMG_2713.jpgAnchored three 2x4s to wall and put a MDF board to mound the Navepoint on.

IMG_2714.jpgAttempt at cable management

IMG_2715.jpgAlso picked up a passive amplifier for the antenna on the roof. Properly bonded to the electrical ground

UniFi FTW

by a week ago

So I came across the UniFi line of products a couple of years ago while living (and working) out of a 900sq foot apartment.  I work as a O365 Engineer for a large healthcare org and have the pleasure of working from home, which also gets more more time with the fam.  Anywho, I needed (ok wanted) more reliable wireless, so I checked out the Ubiquiti products starting with a simple AC Pro sitting on my desk.  I was impressed!

Flash foward about a year we realized we couldn't afford a home in the area we were at so we decided to move back to the area we had recently left (while still keeping the same job).  Decided to take advantage and upgrade the network even further.  We moved into a 50 year old 2,000+ sqft ranch, which makes it easy running new cables.  Bought a switch and eventually upgraded my old Reolinks to the G3 Flex.

I was originally going to just mount the switch on the wall with small patch panel, but found a good deal on a NavePoint enclosure.  Mounted it to the foundation wall with 2x4 and MDF.  We cut the cord a long time ago, so I also picked up a passive amplifier and bonded the antenna and cable internet to the electrical.

The network is slowly expanding.  I recently added an AP in the basement (where I winter for work) for a bit better 5GHz coverage as our walls are 3/4" board and plaster, although this was more futureproofing for when the toddler is no longer a toddler.  It's a cleaner install too Man Happy The APs are on top of each other between floors, but devices seem to roam okay (no 2G in the basement).  Hoping to add more G3's around.  I'd love to round it out with a USG Pro, but there's a few features of my PfSense that the USG doesn't have which makes me hesitate.  Obviously if money was no object, I'd look at the app server too, and maybe even put another switch upstairs just for the cameras...just because.

The best part with Unifi products is the ability to monitor and change the network at my parents a couple hours away with ease.  Just have them point to my cloud key and bam!

Thanks for the products and really enjoy reading these stories.  Makes me ponder becoming a WISP and/or rebooting my small tech services business!

313748E8-0417-417A-A554-087B6A06F446.JPG

IMG_2711.jpgSwitch, Synology, and other pieces

IMG_2713.jpgAnchored three 2x4s to wall and put a MDF board to mound the Navepoint on.

IMG_2714.jpgAttempt at cable management

IMG_2715.jpgAlso picked up a passive amplifier for the antenna on the roof. Properly bonded to the electrical ground

{"location":{"title":"Neenah, WI, USA","placeId":"ChIJd-cbnKq4A4gR6KksAZBUpnc"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"193839iD82B6870132644B6"}

Comments
by
a week ago

Nice!  I work in O365 as well, however the project I’m on requires me to be on-site 4 days a week and it’s ridiculous!