Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

UniFi Home Setup

by a month ago

After discovering Ubnt about 2 years ago and deploying 200+ UAP-AC-PROs to education customers, I finally got around to Unifing my home setup. Not being satisfied with stacking the devices on top of each other and having cables everywhere, I decided to design and 3D print my own network 'rack'. I'm pretty pleased with the results. 

IMG_0696.JPG

The range and performance blows my old setup (Airport Extreme) out of the water. Thanks Ubnt!!

Comments
by
a month ago

If you are not planning on selling them, would you mind posting the design file so I could print one myself?

by
a month ago

Wow I want one also!

Sean 

by
a month ago

Can you provide the files to build this for the 3d Printer?  I want to build this myself

by
a month ago

And can you tell us what 3d printer you use, and if you are happy with it?

by
a month ago - last edited a month ago

2 questions:

1. What is the black box at the bottom?

2. I just bought the USG and US-8-60W, and installed the Unifi controller on a PC. Are there any advantages using a Cloud key controller in a home setup, because I couldn't find any?

by
a month ago
I think the black box at the bottom is the cable modem since it has DOCSIS 3 written on it
by
a month ago

@Roenne Yep. That's my cable modem. The Cloud Key is great. I don't need to have a computer running the controller software all the time and I have the ability to view/edit the config remotely. The price point of the Cloud Key is hard to beat too. I was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi but by the time I got the setup working it didn't seem worth it. The setup for the Cloud Key is literally just plug it in. Software updates are a breeze too. 

I have some ideas for a modular design for this rack. I hope to be able to prototype it over the weekend. I'll post the results here when I have it ready. 

by
a month ago - last edited a month ago

That's just great. Awesome design.

by
4 weeks ago

Sincerely blown away by your design setup! Please share! 

From The Netherlands (North-Western Europe) Drool5

by
4 weeks ago

@jpoblocki

1. Why are you still using your cable modem, isn't that pointless when using the USG? (I just use my USG directly, so I am a bit confused)

2. Besides being able to monitor your network remotely, are there any advantages in running the controller all the time? I just load the controller on my PC whenever needed.

In case its not obvious, I am not a network guy, just a random dude who grew tired of crappy networks, hence all the questions Man Very Happy