06/25/2017
UniFi Home Setup
Description

After discovering Ubnt about 2 years ago and deploying 200+ UAP-AC-PROs to education customers, I finally got around to Unifing my home setup. Not being satisfied with stacking the devices on top of each other and having cables everywhere, I decided to design and 3D print my own network 'rack'. I'm pretty pleased with the results. 

IMG_0696.JPG

The range and performance blows my old setup (Airport Extreme) out of the water. Thanks Ubnt!!

UniFi Home Setup

by on ‎06-25-2017 11:38 AM

After discovering Ubnt about 2 years ago and deploying 200+ UAP-AC-PROs to education customers, I finally got around to Unifing my home setup. Not being satisfied with stacking the devices on top of each other and having cables everywhere, I decided to design and 3D print my own network 'rack'. I'm pretty pleased with the results. 

IMG_0696.JPG

The range and performance blows my old setup (Airport Extreme) out of the water. Thanks Ubnt!!

Comments
by
on ‎06-25-2017 11:22 PM

Nice!

At home I have the same USG and US-8-60W as you in a 10-inch rack, with significant free air between the devices and no front door. Still they run quite hot. I am considering to fit a fan in the rack to provide more cooling. How hot get these devices in your setup?

by
on ‎06-26-2017 01:26 AM

That is just awesome! Seriously you should be selling these.

by
on ‎06-26-2017 04:57 AM

wow i must have become blind, but very nice indeed.

by
on ‎06-26-2017 06:24 AM

Thanks everyone! Man Happy

@demonmaestro : I never had any plans to sell these. I would really want to improve the design a bit before I did.

@rebelwireless : I could post it on thingaverse but the model would not be easily modified because of the way I drew it. This was really a quick and dirty design. I wasn't planning ahead.

@rcoleman65 : Not that I know of. I searched for an hour or so before I decided to just make one. The lack of rail mounting holes and the varying widths of this equipment would make a commercial rack challenging.

@Aaarrrgggh : When I was in the concept stage of design, I really started to over engineer the thing. I had an idea to make standard posts at a set distance apart. Then make rails for each piece of equipment to attach it with screws to the posts. In the end, simplicity won out. I had no other plans for this besides my one time home personal use. The equipment is actually held in with a small dab of some very mild-adhesive hot glue. It helps to keep things from moving when plugging/unplugging cables. Nothing fancy in the back. Just some Monoprice velcro wraps to tidy up all of the cables. I can upload a picture if you'd like.

@hakostra : The US-8-60W does run pretty warm. I tried to keep as many of the side vents as open as possible. If it was enclosed, I would definitely put a fan in.

by
on ‎06-26-2017 06:51 AM

It sounds like you'd make a pretty penny with production on those, @jpoblocki. Take my money!

by
on ‎06-26-2017 08:31 AM

Count on me, too, definitely want to buy this!

by
on ‎06-26-2017 08:56 AM

Where can i get something like this?

by
on ‎06-26-2017 01:00 PM

Amazing !

Seeing the cable job (especially cloud key cable) , I wonder what the backside looks like.

by
on ‎06-26-2017 02:10 PM

For the curious:

IMG_0697.JPG

by
on ‎06-27-2017 07:46 AM

I want this so badly! I'm in a similar situation looking for a good rack for the home and can't find one at all