11/12/2018
UniFi at Home
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

This is an install that I did in a very rural location in central Alabama. The customer wanted cameras, WiFi, and a security system with smoke detectors. 

I used UniFi for everything except the security system, for which I used a SimpliSafe system (which has performed very well, by the way.)

I wanted it to be a very clean install because this customer is very concerned with aesthetics, so I went with an in-wall integrated media center, and ran everything to it. IMG_0468.jpeg

I ran extra Cat6 throughout the house so I can crimp it in the future if I need it. For now I just ran the slack down the left and to the underside of the cabinet. The coax is all centered in the attic which is where the HughesNet (yeah, I know it's awful but I kid you not when I say it was literally the ONLY option) modem is located. 

IMG_0469.jpeg

This is what the cabinet looks like closed up. 

I was concerned with the thermals of the system because of all the components being closed in to a box, but everything actually runs comfortably at around 60 degrees celcius, which (as far as I know) is well within range for these devices. 

I forgot to take pictures of the cameras and AP's but if I go back there soon I'll post them here. IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0468 2.jpeg

UniFi at Home

by on ‎11-12-2018 07:41 AM

This is an install that I did in a very rural location in central Alabama. The customer wanted cameras, WiFi, and a security system with smoke detectors. 

I used UniFi for everything except the security system, for which I used a SimpliSafe system (which has performed very well, by the way.)

I wanted it to be a very clean install because this customer is very concerned with aesthetics, so I went with an in-wall integrated media center, and ran everything to it. IMG_0468.jpeg

I ran extra Cat6 throughout the house so I can crimp it in the future if I need it. For now I just ran the slack down the left and to the underside of the cabinet. The coax is all centered in the attic which is where the HughesNet (yeah, I know it's awful but I kid you not when I say it was literally the ONLY option) modem is located. 

IMG_0469.jpeg

This is what the cabinet looks like closed up. 

I was concerned with the thermals of the system because of all the components being closed in to a box, but everything actually runs comfortably at around 60 degrees celcius, which (as far as I know) is well within range for these devices. 

I forgot to take pictures of the cameras and AP's but if I go back there soon I'll post them here. IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0468 2.jpeg

{"location":{"title":"Sweet Water, AL, USA","placeId":"ChIJmTKN4SQThYgRDcTntfM_8UE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-in-wall-pro-wi-fi-access-point","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"182263i82940E2A545F0E71"}

Comments
by
on ‎11-15-2018 09:16 AM

Love this set up, and I'm using this as the pattern to design my own home network closet.

Just curious, the blue power outlet found on the bottom left. I haven't seen those in blue before. Assuming this is a specialized GFCI outlet, how does this differ from a normal outlet?

by
on ‎11-15-2018 03:56 PM

Q: Just curious, the blue power outlet found on the bottom left. I haven't seen those in blue before. Assuming this is a specialized GFCI outlet, how does this differ from a normal outlet?

A: It's a Surge-protected outlet.

Nicely done @sdaudet! (I'm a huge fan of the Structured Wiring/Media Boxes). Very clean.

by
on ‎11-16-2018 08:18 AM

@sramboz @WiFi_E Thanks! I put alot of work in to it! 

@WiFi_E is right.. It is an outlet sold by Leviton (creator or the structured media box) that has some built in surge protection. I ordered this with the box, and then I ended up needing another outlet for the box because of some oversight during planning so I just pulled a normal duplex outlet from my warehouse. 

I'm going back to this location next week and I'm going to work on the power cabling a little bit more and get some more pictures.

by
4 weeks ago

What is the black box on top? Is that edge router?

by
3 weeks ago

Looks very nice @sdaudet!

Can you share the specific Leviton model number / SKU when you get a chance? Can't find one that matches exactly...

by
3 weeks ago

@jareknyc thats a UniFi NVR for the cameras.

by
2 weeks ago

@sdaudet what is the model number and brand of the structured media enclosure you used?  It doesn't look like the Leviton I've used in the past.

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@PhantomTypist It looks like a Primex box. 

by
2 weeks ago

Very nice!