Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

UniFi delivers 1.1 Terabytes of data in one week at Horse Show

by 2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

The oldest horse show in the USA first ran in June 1853.  It runs for one week every year at a venue that is not really used for the rest of the year.

This year the show at times did four simultanous international live streams, while providing wifi to 220 people at times.  Plus all the show competitor registrations, scoring etc.  There are two office trailers packed with people handling the registration functions. Plus two video production trailers handling the live video feeds, the scoreboard videos etc.

I did two separate UniFi deployments at the show.  One for the show network including guest wifi.  Then I also did a totally separate Unifi system for video production. Did not want potential lan and nat issues with the growing show network to interfere with the sensitive real time streaming feeds. 

By the end of the show, we had transferred 1,149,599,515 bytes of WAN data into the show.  

Below from the UniFi IOS app, shows a more quiet time on the show UniFi with only 108 users connected.  There are usually between 30-40 wired connections in the office trailers. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

VIP guests could connect to the free, open guest network using two UniFi HD's in the VIP tent.

One is seen here on the back wall next to the fan.

IMG_6671.JPG

When the tech sent me this photo, I joked that the fan would help spread the signal.  Maybe they didn't get the joke and left it that way, but the HD still handled 70 simultanous customers at times. 

IMG_6673.JPG

Since the show only lasts a week, and has to be quickly broken down at the end, there's no racks to keep anything neat and permanent.   Here's the first upstream US 16 which feeds other switches via two fiber SFP connections.

IMG_6621.JPG

Other switches were tucked where needed in various outdoor cabinets. Here's a US-8-60W.

IMG_6674.JPG

The video production had its own USG-PRO-4 doing the routing duties for the four international livestreams.  The USG-PRO-4 has a fiber WAN connection. 

The new UniFi Switch L2 24 with hotswap PSU's handled the video production switching.   There was another L2 24 PSU handling a different section of the show network.

IMG_6676.JPG

The white thing to the right of the photo is the new  UniFi AC In-wall Pro with 3x3 mimo. This provided all the wifi for video production. It was a perfect size for this space.   A 2nd InWall Pro provided wifi at another video production trailer.  These inwall Pro's handled quite a bit of social media uploads and worked great. 

The upstream was again via AirFiber.

IMG_6564.JPG

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Well done, Very diverse range of products and challanges.

Genuinly supprised the access point worked so close to a large AC motor.

by
2 weeks ago

Nice work...  A pro makes it look easy!

by
2 weeks ago

what you use for your router/WAN?

by
2 weeks ago

@cardins2u  For the Video Production UniFi network, I used a USG-Pro-4.  For the show network, I used a EdgeRouter 8 I had lying around. 

by
2 weeks ago

Cool install!  

BTW speaking of scoreboards, I was floored when I saw this product:  https://www.renewedvision.com/scoreboard.php

All I can think of is several of the Renewed Vision staff must have kids - it's certainly not their core compentency but leverages their experience with ProPresenter and ProVideoPlayer.  If any of your customers need a quick, relatively inexpensive and flexible scoreboard it's an amazing solution.  The plummeting prices on LED video walls are going to disrupt all kinds of things.

by
Sunday

May I humbly suggest a small rack flight case to hold all your rack mount goodies? Musicians use them on the road for amps and DSPs and the like, and I'm thinking such a setup would be perfect for you. 8U for like $100, such as this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Rack-Flight-Case.gc

Not only would that offer a bit of protection for all the expensive bits, it'll make setup and breakdown a whole lot easier.