Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

UniFi end to end at new Hale Centre Theatre

by a week ago

I am part way through a fun project with UniFi and thought that I would share. A buddy of mine and I take care of the IT needs of the Hale Centre Theatre. Hale Centre just moved into their new building in Sandy Utah. We decided to give them an entirely UniFi network, from the USG to the APs. We have or will have one fully built out (16) UniFi Switch 48 POE-500W switches in six locations. All switches connect to (2) UniFi Switch XG over SFP+ DAC or SFP+ single mode fibre.  There are (35) UniFi AP-AC-HD access points covering nearly every square inch of the building.

As soon as I can get my hands on a couple of UniFi Security Gateway XG's (one for a spare) I will be stoked. Anyone at Ubiquiti able to help me get my hands on two of them? Man Happy

The theatre has two stages. One forward facing and one "theater-in-the-round" with a circular stage that is the most technologically advanced stage anywhere in North America.

HCT_UniFi.jpgHCT render.jpg

Comments
by
a week ago

How are the XG's with 4 cooper in it?

Are they all running at 10Gb?

Nice cable managing by the way!

by
a week ago

@iLevac,

Thanks!

At the moment the three yellow cables in the copper ports on the XG's are running at 1Gbps. They are connected to a pair of VMware ESXi hosts. Next week we will be installing 10Gb cards in the ESXi boxes and will start running at 10Gb. I will let you know how it goes.

by
a week ago

Here is a shot of the round stage.

Stage.jpg

by Ubiquiti Employee
a week ago

This is awesome, @PRSPower. I will try to spot some of those AC-HDs next time I'm there. Will A Christmas Carol be performed at the Sandy location this year?

I'll share this post with the USG-XG team. Man Happy

by
a week ago

Thanks, @UBNT-TomS! Christmas Carol will be at the Jewel Box theater this year. Elton John and Tim Rice's AIDA will be playing in the round theater during Christmas. Please let me know when you come and I can arrange to take you on a behind the scenes tour of the non-public areas. That is where all of the coolest stuff it.

The AC-HDs will be painted black and have the LED turned off inside the theaters, but you should be able to spot some in the public areas outside the theaters. I will post a few pictures.

by
a week ago

Those patch panels go really well with the switches.  What brand are they?

by
a week ago

@rebelwireless I think they're Systimax patch panels. I don't remember the exact part numbers, but you have to get the frame and the actual panels separately. But maybe OP can confirm...

by
a week ago

Pulling copper from every endpoint to a single rack has been the best practice approach since the middle ages.  The fact everything is PoE even emphasizes this model as power management (including UPS) is easier do perform within the same rack.  

With switches being connected nowadays over fiber, allowing for high bandwidth branches with just a single strand of fiber I'm wondering if the benefits have been shifted.  Even though we have extremely bad power situations in our part of the world, I still prefer branching off with fiber.

You obviously had a blank canvas on this deployment.  What made you choose this traditional layout?   

by
a week ago

Wow this is cool! Awesome to see such big unifi projects. I live just 20min from there, can't wait for it to be done.  I remember spotting some only AP-AC's painted black at West Valley. I'm glad you guys are smart and choose Unifi and not spending way more on cisco meraki crap or something like most large companies/building do. Keep up the good work!

by
a week ago

@rebelwireless, the patch cables are from CommScope, I do not have the exact part number at the moment but I would be happy to grab that for you next time I am at the theatre if you like.

@EDPR, The design was in part dictated by the architecture of the building and in part by personal preference. We needed to do four of the six locations for switches because of cable length issues. Two of the locations are in the booths that act as the nerve center for the shows on each stage. This building is as tall as a twelve-story building with half of the vertical being underground. The stages, overhead rigging, catwalks and other moving parts that make up the theatre necessitates some interesting cable paths. We have a local ISP (CentraCom) that brought a twelve fibre (single mode) ruggedized cable from outside the building from both the north and from the south. They come into the building in separate four-inch conduits and terminate in the room pictured above. From that room, they ran and terminated additional twelve fibre cables to the other five locations.  This gives us nearly unlimited future expansion and bandwidth possibilities.