UniFi for Vacation Rental Beach House

by a week ago

This seven bedroom house is rented out on a weekly basis during the summer. Often multiple families will get together and rent it for the week.  

Because of this each bedroom ends up being similar to a hotel room.  So each bedroom is equiped with a Smart TV, Satellite Receiver and BluRay player.  And with NetFlix and ethernet ports on all the devices, it becomes important to connect them all. In addition, most rooms need strong wifi coverage. 

In the old school days we had one wifi AP for the whole house.  Later we updated to one AP per floor.  But with connection speeds rising, we still saw weak spots in various locations and bedrooms.  We've addressed this with the new UniFi AC Inwalls.    And to save Wifi spectrum for handhelds, we've hardwired all the TV's, Blueray's and satellite receivers using the new US-8 switches.

Below are some typical TV locations usually behind the dresser.  If the room needed an InWall, you'll see it powering the US-8. 

IMG_5912.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

Here's the typical toplogy of each bedroom connecting the DirectTV, Bluray and TV.

Topo.JPG

We also have a ceiling mounted Pro in the family room, and Lites in bedrooms with ceiling access.

IMG_6034.JPGIMG_6035.JPG

For outdoor coverage, we use a Mesh AP.

IMG_6031.JPG

You end up with a lot of UniFi gear on the Devices page, but this is really what it takes to provide top connectivity to a house like this.  

This house was not originally wired for ethernet.  We added cables for both ethernet and coax for TV's. One way we did this is having a US-8 60W in the family room with cables to the attic right above it to power both ceiling AP's and the Outdoor Mesh.  Using multiple POE switches (which are now affordable with the US-8 60W), you can save a lot of home run cabling.  

UniFiE.jpg

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Comments
by
a week ago

What beach?

by
a week ago

Nice setup. I would rent it out just because of the network. Shows how a network can grow with the all the IoT coming out. Question, how did you find that UAP-AC-IW? I look in the beta store and couldn't find it.Ubnt Banana

by
a week ago

I have seen some of your work in other stories too. Brings me to ask what plans you had for cable management?

by
a week ago

@tmvanetten  South of Virginia Beach.

@mejay  I bought the AC InWalls from the beta store when they were available.

@hyjack  Those three cables are behind the dresser.  No one can see them and the gear needs to be moved around for cleaning.  I'm OCD about performance and getting everything tuned just right.  Not so OCD about 3 cables hidden from view. I Always use different colors to make figuring which cable goes where easy. 

by Ubiquiti Employee
Wednesday

Sweet - thanks for sharing!

For others curious on the AC-IW model official release, should be out and readily available in April.  

Cheers,

Brandon

by
Thursday

Using different colors to make things easy sounds like a good idea. I don't see in your pictures how that works as it seems to be more random then anything else. The connection from the in wall AP has two or more using a white or gray cable and one using a blue cable. But I agree the overall performance is the most important aspect.

by
Monday

I'd flip that switch over, with empty ports facing upwards dust/bugs can easily fall in there.

by
Monday

@bledd  Not a bad idea.  I usually do put them facing down.  Harder to connect when down though.