01/17/2017
UniFi house network (large) with FTTH Fioptics, USG, XG, US-8, and UAP-Pros
Description

topology.PNGTopologyI've gone all UniFi (replaced my Edgerouter Pro with a USG pro and replaced all my Cisco SG300s with UniFi switches). Recall that I have Fiber to the Home (FTTH) service from Cincinnati Bell/Fioptics (1G down/250M up). I also now have fail-over to Time Warner/Road Runner 50M/5M on Wan 2. I have a UniFi ethernet surge protector on the incoming cable feed to my rack. The house has been wired with Cat5e to nearly everyroom. I have UniFi switches at the major use points and security cameras throughout. The core switches are a 48-750W and XG (currently not being utilized but will tie a 10G Synology NAS soon). I have POE models where I need power distribution switches (three 8-150W and one 16-150W), and I have 4 US-8s where I don't need power (mostly at TVs). I have mostly Foscam's today, but I got one G3 to test.

The UPS cover my servers, cable modem, fiber ONT, 3 of the UniFi APs and the core switches, as well as the US-8 POE uplinks, and a couple of the cameras. I have an AC Infinity Cloud Plate temperature-sensing fan in the rack for cooling as well as fans on the top of the rack. A dell monitor mounted to the rack and a shelf for the keyboard and mouse allow me to interact directly with the Mac Mini server. I have several networks defined, one for my computers, one for the "entertaimnet devices" like Tivo, Apple TV, and Smart TVs, an IOT network for the Hue, Amazon, and Nest devices, a Security network for hte cameras, and a Guest network (wired and wireless), one for VOIP, and finally one for my gaming devices in addition to a management VLAN.

The security software I currently use has both a webserver, but also a nice iOS app that is available for the Apple TV as well as phones and iPads. I would like to setup a UniFi video server at some point, but would really miss being able to pull the cameras up on my TV with the Apple TV.

I have routinely over 60 devices on the network, a listing of the major classes of which is below.

1 - Alcatel-Lucent ONT FTTH Gateway
1 - Tripplite N060-004 2U patch panel for house wiring termination
1 - Unifi Switch XG 16 10G
1 - UniFi Switch 48 750W POE
1 - UniFi Switch 16 150W POE
3 - UniFi Switch 8 150W POE
4 - UniFi Switch US-8
1 - UniFi Security Gateway Pro-4 (USG)
1 - UniFi UVC-G3 HD Camera
4 - UniFi UAP-AC-Pro
1 - UniFi Cloud Key
9 - Foscam FI9826P HD security cameras
2 - Web Relays (for garage door operation) from controlbyweb.com
2 - CyberPower 1500 UPS with networking card
3 - Apple TV generation 3
1 - Apple TV generation 4
3 - Apple Airport Express (music distribution with AirFoil to combine streams)
1 - Apple Mac Mini OSX Server (in Sonett RackMac Mini enclosure)
1 - Apple iMac 5k
2 - Apple Macbook Air
1 - Apple Watch
2 - Apple iPhone 7
3 - Apple iPad
1 - Tivo Bolt+
1 - Tivo Bolt
4 - Tivo Mini
2 - Amazon Echo
1 - Amazon Echo Dot
2 - Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
1 - WiFi enabled car
2 - Samsung Smart TV
1 - Vizio Smart TV
1 - Raspberry Pi server
1 - Pegasus2 R8 48TB HDD for Plex storage
2 - OWC Mecury Rack Pro HDD for Video/Backup storage
1 - Neat Patch cable management system
1 - Great Lakes 45U rack
1 - Xerox 6010 Laser Printer
1 - Epson WF2540 Ink Jet Printer/Scanner
1 - Ooma Telo VOIP system
2 - Nest learning thermostats
1 - Kodak Pulse digital picture frame
1 - Playstation 3
1 - WII
1 - Hue Hub for smart light bulbsrack top USG and XG.jpgpatch panel.jpgrack cooling and security.jpginbound ethernet.jpgrack botton UPS.jpgrack middle server.jpgTopology and Coverage.jpgdashboard.jpgIMG_3450.pngCore switch lables2016-10-14_19-43-18.pngSpeedtest in US prime time TV hours...IMG_3449.pngUAP-AC-Pros thorughout

UniFi house network (large) with FTTH Fioptics, USG, XG, US-8, and UAP-Pros

by ‎01-17-2017 07:33 AM - edited ‎01-18-2017 11:17 AM

topology.PNGTopologyI've gone all UniFi (replaced my Edgerouter Pro with a USG pro and replaced all my Cisco SG300s with UniFi switches). Recall that I have Fiber to the Home (FTTH) service from Cincinnati Bell/Fioptics (1G down/250M up). I also now have fail-over to Time Warner/Road Runner 50M/5M on Wan 2. I have a UniFi ethernet surge protector on the incoming cable feed to my rack. The house has been wired with Cat5e to nearly everyroom. I have UniFi switches at the major use points and security cameras throughout. The core switches are a 48-750W and XG (currently not being utilized but will tie a 10G Synology NAS soon). I have POE models where I need power distribution switches (three 8-150W and one 16-150W), and I have 4 US-8s where I don't need power (mostly at TVs). I have mostly Foscam's today, but I got one G3 to test.

The UPS cover my servers, cable modem, fiber ONT, 3 of the UniFi APs and the core switches, as well as the US-8 POE uplinks, and a couple of the cameras. I have an AC Infinity Cloud Plate temperature-sensing fan in the rack for cooling as well as fans on the top of the rack. A dell monitor mounted to the rack and a shelf for the keyboard and mouse allow me to interact directly with the Mac Mini server. I have several networks defined, one for my computers, one for the "entertaimnet devices" like Tivo, Apple TV, and Smart TVs, an IOT network for the Hue, Amazon, and Nest devices, a Security network for hte cameras, and a Guest network (wired and wireless), one for VOIP, and finally one for my gaming devices in addition to a management VLAN.

The security software I currently use has both a webserver, but also a nice iOS app that is available for the Apple TV as well as phones and iPads. I would like to setup a UniFi video server at some point, but would really miss being able to pull the cameras up on my TV with the Apple TV.

I have routinely over 60 devices on the network, a listing of the major classes of which is below.

1 - Alcatel-Lucent ONT FTTH Gateway
1 - Tripplite N060-004 2U patch panel for house wiring termination
1 - Unifi Switch XG 16 10G
1 - UniFi Switch 48 750W POE
1 - UniFi Switch 16 150W POE
3 - UniFi Switch 8 150W POE
4 - UniFi Switch US-8
1 - UniFi Security Gateway Pro-4 (USG)
1 - UniFi UVC-G3 HD Camera
4 - UniFi UAP-AC-Pro
1 - UniFi Cloud Key
9 - Foscam FI9826P HD security cameras
2 - Web Relays (for garage door operation) from controlbyweb.com
2 - CyberPower 1500 UPS with networking card
3 - Apple TV generation 3
1 - Apple TV generation 4
3 - Apple Airport Express (music distribution with AirFoil to combine streams)
1 - Apple Mac Mini OSX Server (in Sonett RackMac Mini enclosure)
1 - Apple iMac 5k
2 - Apple Macbook Air
1 - Apple Watch
2 - Apple iPhone 7
3 - Apple iPad
1 - Tivo Bolt+
1 - Tivo Bolt
4 - Tivo Mini
2 - Amazon Echo
1 - Amazon Echo Dot
2 - Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
1 - WiFi enabled car
2 - Samsung Smart TV
1 - Vizio Smart TV
1 - Raspberry Pi server
1 - Pegasus2 R8 48TB HDD for Plex storage
2 - OWC Mecury Rack Pro HDD for Video/Backup storage
1 - Neat Patch cable management system
1 - Great Lakes 45U rack
1 - Xerox 6010 Laser Printer
1 - Epson WF2540 Ink Jet Printer/Scanner
1 - Ooma Telo VOIP system
2 - Nest learning thermostats
1 - Kodak Pulse digital picture frame
1 - Playstation 3
1 - WII
1 - Hue Hub for smart light bulbsrack top USG and XG.jpgpatch panel.jpgrack cooling and security.jpginbound ethernet.jpgrack botton UPS.jpgrack middle server.jpgTopology and Coverage.jpgdashboard.jpgIMG_3450.pngCore switch lables2016-10-14_19-43-18.pngSpeedtest in US prime time TV hours...IMG_3449.pngUAP-AC-Pros thorughout

Comments
by
on ‎01-17-2017 08:18 AM

wow nice setup! 

What do you do to keep that room ventilated?

What camera system do you use?

How long does your UPS support the system?

by
on ‎01-17-2017 09:33 AM

Right now I'm just venting the heat to my garage, but I'm considering getting a small AC unit for this utility space.

I'm running SecuritySpy by BenSoftware on the Mac right now, as well as Plex media server.

Each runs right about an hour.  A hair more for the Networking UPS, a hair under for the server and drives unit.

by
on ‎01-17-2017 01:22 PM

Ubnt Banana

Now that is an impressive setup! Nice work bferrell!Icon Biggrin

by
on ‎01-18-2017 04:33 AM

Very impressive setup.  Well thought out.  

by
on ‎01-24-2017 10:37 AM

<jealously><assumption>How did you get the significant other to approve this?!?</assumption></jealously>

by
on ‎01-24-2017 10:07 PM

Best home setup I have ever seen!

by
on ‎01-26-2017 06:38 AM

@Murky024Partly by assuring her that her WiFi would always work well (which we'd had trouble with in the past) and partly by telling I needed to learn networking for my day job (which is true enough).  Also, I'd bought a bunch of Cisco gear over a longer period of time which I liquidated to convert to this, and actually did pretty well with over at eBay.

by
on ‎08-25-2017 02:11 AM

Very nice setup, you have there. May I ask why you replaced the Edgerouter Pro with the USG Pro? I was under the impression the USG was below the EdgeRouter when it come to things you can do with it; or has the USG Pro finally caught up with it?

Did you finally plugged the Synology to the Unifi XG 16 10G and if so how's performing?

I'm very new to the Ubiquiti gear, I curerntly have a Edgerouter X and a AP-AC-Pro, and now looking ot replace my core 48switch but I'm still struggling to decide if I should go down the Edgerouter way or the Unify way; Either way, the Edgerouter Xwould be replace by a Pro model. Concening the swicht, I need to decide if I get the 48 POE version or the Non POE one to which I would add a 8 port POE one.

Any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated

by
on ‎08-25-2017 05:43 AM

@Aldiallo-Ubt  Sure, you can ask. 

Yes, the ER-Pro is always going to be more feature-rich than the USG, they share underlying code but it comes to the (non-UniFied and standalone) ER interface first, and then the UniFi team integrates the "single-pane-of-glass" controller management on top of that, so they will never be at feature-parity.  It does occasion cause me some grief, but one of the big reasons I went with UniFi is I wanted the single management interface, or rather I got tired of managing 4 different WIFi access points (Netgear R7000 at the time) and switches (Cisco SG300's back then) every time I added a VLAN, needed to update firmware, whatever.  The USG does everything that I really need, so I made the switch.  I do miss some of the firewall capability in the ER, and some functions (mdns reflection and IGMP) are not fully surfaced in the UniFi interface, but I can get them working on the CLI, so I thought it was best for me for now.  And I'm eagerly awaiting the 10G Infinity version!

by
on ‎08-25-2017 06:57 AM

@bferrell

Thanks for your response, I assume that you'll sticking with Unifi even with the new UNMS just around the corner then?

Thanks

Al