Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

Hello,

recently my parents got an upgrade to FTTH, they used to be on DSL with 10Mbit/2Mbit. Located in the very rural area west of Munich (Germany) they now get speeds of 100Mbit/50Mbit with very low pings of 2ms ! They were offered 1Gbit/500Mbit but we decided that they would not take any use of this speed at all.

Before installing the Unifi hardware, online connection was established by an AVM Fritz!Box 7490 and some dumb switches via 100Mbit, a Synology DS214 was used as data-storage for business files. Connected to this system was the main TV, two computers, mobile phones and tablets and a printer. Wireless and DECT signal was not very strong, we needed repeaters at every end of the house and throughput was horrible slow. DECT signal in the cellar was very instable too because the router was located in the upper floor.

So... first my dad and me cleaned up all cables, pulled some Cat7 cables from the cellar trough the complete house replacing the old Cat5 cables. We used nearly 100m of networking cable, now every room provides two RJ45 jacks.

The cellar with FTTH-Modem (not in picture) and the main 19" rack. We used a small 6 unit rack with open design. Unifi Security Gateway, Cloud Key and a new Synology DS418 NAS were placed in the lower place,

For connectivity we used a Unifi Switch 16 with PoE and some keystone modules for the patch-panel. Labeled everything up, put in some cables and powered it up for configuration.

rack.jpg

Connected are three AP AC LR, for every floor one. 2,4Ghz is only enabled on the main floor because only the TVs use it and signal strength is good enough to penetrade the ceiling. An eight ports switch in the office provides connectivity to two personal computers and the printer.

Devices.jpg

The main layout of the network stays very simple, not all devices are connected on the topology. Because of the great wifi signal now all three TVs are connected and my parents are now able to use Netflix and Amazon Video without any problems.

Topology.jpg

The old router was degraded to a telephone DECT server, routing now is completely done via Unifi.

FritzBox.jpg

As my Mom does not like to have visible technology everywhere we hid all accesspoints behind furniture and decoration.... nothing really to see... 20171122_154058.jpg

Office.jpg

What will be coming in some month is connecting some surveillance cameras to the Synology DS418 and for the next summer we will expand the wifi signal to the garden so they can use their tablets under the sun of bavaria.

Unifi Home Setup for my parents

by on ‎01-10-2018 03:32 AM

Hello,

recently my parents got an upgrade to FTTH, they used to be on DSL with 10Mbit/2Mbit. Located in the very rural area west of Munich (Germany) they now get speeds of 100Mbit/50Mbit with very low pings of 2ms ! They were offered 1Gbit/500Mbit but we decided that they would not take any use of this speed at all.

Before installing the Unifi hardware, online connection was established by an AVM Fritz!Box 7490 and some dumb switches via 100Mbit, a Synology DS214 was used as data-storage for business files. Connected to this system was the main TV, two computers, mobile phones and tablets and a printer. Wireless and DECT signal was not very strong, we needed repeaters at every end of the house and throughput was horrible slow. DECT signal in the cellar was very instable too because the router was located in the upper floor.

So... first my dad and me cleaned up all cables, pulled some Cat7 cables from the cellar trough the complete house replacing the old Cat5 cables. We used nearly 100m of networking cable, now every room provides two RJ45 jacks.

The cellar with FTTH-Modem (not in picture) and the main 19" rack. We used a small 6 unit rack with open design. Unifi Security Gateway, Cloud Key and a new Synology DS418 NAS were placed in the lower place,

For connectivity we used a Unifi Switch 16 with PoE and some keystone modules for the patch-panel. Labeled everything up, put in some cables and powered it up for configuration.

rack.jpg

Connected are three AP AC LR, for every floor one. 2,4Ghz is only enabled on the main floor because only the TVs use it and signal strength is good enough to penetrade the ceiling. An eight ports switch in the office provides connectivity to two personal computers and the printer.

Devices.jpg

The main layout of the network stays very simple, not all devices are connected on the topology. Because of the great wifi signal now all three TVs are connected and my parents are now able to use Netflix and Amazon Video without any problems.

Topology.jpg

The old router was degraded to a telephone DECT server, routing now is completely done via Unifi.

FritzBox.jpg

As my Mom does not like to have visible technology everywhere we hid all accesspoints behind furniture and decoration.... nothing really to see... 20171122_154058.jpg

Office.jpg

What will be coming in some month is connecting some surveillance cameras to the Synology DS418 and for the next summer we will expand the wifi signal to the garden so they can use their tablets under the sun of bavaria.

{"location":{"title":"Oberschweinbach, Deutschland","placeId":"ChIJq_irTuuDnkcRcJeL161IHgQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lr","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"A small private Unifi network for my parents","mainImage":"132339i657E0E0212AAB004"}

Comments
by
on ‎01-11-2018 06:16 AM

For Synology NAS you can calculate 4 height units when sitting on a tray... but this will fit tight !

by
on ‎01-12-2018 12:31 PM

Hi  , eine   wirklich   saubere  und schöne   und saubere  Installation. Wie hast du dein Internetprovider an die USG angebunden?

by
on ‎01-13-2018 02:50 AM

Ist ein Telekom FTTH Anschluss.... einfach das USG per LAN-Kabel direkt an den ONT und fertig.

by
on ‎01-13-2018 05:35 PM

Are those Steiff bears?

by
on ‎01-14-2018 02:37 AM

Yes, they are.... my parents ar Steiff Collectors and had a Steiff shop for many years

by
on ‎01-22-2018 01:47 AM

That's a nice neat installation.  I think Steiff bears should be part of any proper Unifi installation Man Very Happy

by
on ‎08-10-2018 03:01 AM

Great story thanks !

Just curious: why 2 connections to your Synology NAS ? (As shown in the diagram)