Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

Hello,

recently my parents got an upgrade to FTTH, they used to be on DSL with 10Mbit/2Mbit. Located in the very rural area west of Munich (Germany) they now get speeds of 100Mbit/50Mbit with very low pings of 2ms ! They were offered 1Gbit/500Mbit but we decided that they would not take any use of this speed at all.

Before installing the Unifi hardware, online connection was established by an AVM Fritz!Box 7490 and some dumb switches via 100Mbit, a Synology DS214 was used as data-storage for business files. Connected to this system was the main TV, two computers, mobile phones and tablets and a printer. Wireless and DECT signal was not very strong, we needed repeaters at every end of the house and throughput was horrible slow. DECT signal in the cellar was very instable too because the router was located in the upper floor.

So... first my dad and me cleaned up all cables, pulled some Cat7 cables from the cellar trough the complete house replacing the old Cat5 cables. We used nearly 100m of networking cable, now every room provides two RJ45 jacks.

The cellar with FTTH-Modem (not in picture) and the main 19" rack. We used a small 6 unit rack with open design. Unifi Security Gateway, Cloud Key and a new Synology DS418 NAS were placed in the lower place,

For connectivity we used a Unifi Switch 16 with PoE and some keystone modules for the patch-panel. Labeled everything up, put in some cables and powered it up for configuration.

rack.jpg

Connected are three AP AC LR, for every floor one. 2,4Ghz is only enabled on the main floor because only the TVs use it and signal strength is good enough to penetrade the ceiling. An eight ports switch in the office provides connectivity to two personal computers and the printer.

Devices.jpg

The main layout of the network stays very simple, not all devices are connected on the topology. Because of the great wifi signal now all three TVs are connected and my parents are now able to use Netflix and Amazon Video without any problems.

Topology.jpg

The old router was degraded to a telephone DECT server, routing now is completely done via Unifi.

FritzBox.jpg

As my Mom does not like to have visible technology everywhere we hid all accesspoints behind furniture and decoration.... nothing really to see... 20171122_154058.jpg

Office.jpg

What will be coming in some month is connecting some surveillance cameras to the Synology DS418 and for the next summer we will expand the wifi signal to the garden so they can use their tablets under the sun of bavaria.

Unifi Home Setup for my parents

by on ‎01-10-2018 03:32 AM

Hello,

recently my parents got an upgrade to FTTH, they used to be on DSL with 10Mbit/2Mbit. Located in the very rural area west of Munich (Germany) they now get speeds of 100Mbit/50Mbit with very low pings of 2ms ! They were offered 1Gbit/500Mbit but we decided that they would not take any use of this speed at all.

Before installing the Unifi hardware, online connection was established by an AVM Fritz!Box 7490 and some dumb switches via 100Mbit, a Synology DS214 was used as data-storage for business files. Connected to this system was the main TV, two computers, mobile phones and tablets and a printer. Wireless and DECT signal was not very strong, we needed repeaters at every end of the house and throughput was horrible slow. DECT signal in the cellar was very instable too because the router was located in the upper floor.

So... first my dad and me cleaned up all cables, pulled some Cat7 cables from the cellar trough the complete house replacing the old Cat5 cables. We used nearly 100m of networking cable, now every room provides two RJ45 jacks.

The cellar with FTTH-Modem (not in picture) and the main 19" rack. We used a small 6 unit rack with open design. Unifi Security Gateway, Cloud Key and a new Synology DS418 NAS were placed in the lower place,

For connectivity we used a Unifi Switch 16 with PoE and some keystone modules for the patch-panel. Labeled everything up, put in some cables and powered it up for configuration.

rack.jpg

Connected are three AP AC LR, for every floor one. 2,4Ghz is only enabled on the main floor because only the TVs use it and signal strength is good enough to penetrade the ceiling. An eight ports switch in the office provides connectivity to two personal computers and the printer.

Devices.jpg

The main layout of the network stays very simple, not all devices are connected on the topology. Because of the great wifi signal now all three TVs are connected and my parents are now able to use Netflix and Amazon Video without any problems.

Topology.jpg

The old router was degraded to a telephone DECT server, routing now is completely done via Unifi.

FritzBox.jpg

As my Mom does not like to have visible technology everywhere we hid all accesspoints behind furniture and decoration.... nothing really to see... 20171122_154058.jpg

Office.jpg

What will be coming in some month is connecting some surveillance cameras to the Synology DS418 and for the next summer we will expand the wifi signal to the garden so they can use their tablets under the sun of bavaria.

{"location":{"title":"Oberschweinbach, Deutschland","placeId":"ChIJq_irTuuDnkcRcJeL161IHgQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lr","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"A small private Unifi network for my parents","mainImage":"132339i657E0E0212AAB004"}

Comments
by
on ‎01-10-2018 07:00 AM

Looks like a great upgrade! I am curious about replacing the CAT5 with CAT7 - was that done just because you needed to pull extra cables anyway, so might as well future-proof the network, or was there something that CAT7 will deliver that CAT5 could not?

At some point I am going to need to replace my CAT5e cabling I presume, but I imagine only if I want to get 10Gbps speeds on the internal LAN, by which point I am hoping internal fibre or a type of GPON to the wall plate will be an option.

by
on ‎01-10-2018 07:06 AM

We chose Cat7 only because it was 5 Euros more on the bill than Cat6 for 100 meters. Cat5e wasn't available at our supplier at all.

I do not think we will every upgrade to 10Gbit at all, this is only for home networking for my parents. They do "normal" stuff, watching some Netflix and Amazon and my mother is a hobby photographer.... so 1Gbit/s transfer-speed will be more than enough. I too think, that when upgrading to 10Gbit/s.... fibre will be the right solution.

by
on ‎01-10-2018 07:13 AM

Very nice upgrades and beautiful house there. The wood work and bears are a nice touch.

by
on ‎01-10-2018 07:39 AM

Thanks - that makes sense on the cost difference for CAT7. My concern with CAT7 was always arround terminating it myself - I confess I have not looked at the standards in great details, but while I can competentantly terminate a CAT5e cabling installation, I was less confident about CAT7 and what it might involve!

by
‎01-10-2018 09:40 AM - edited ‎01-17-2018 12:40 PM

Which software did you use to draw this network diagram?

@heiko-gloecklerWould you recommend the Keystone modules over a traditional patchpanel?

Thx
Greets from Austria

by
on ‎01-10-2018 09:46 AM

@smawuaschtThat diagram is made with the unifi controller under map and then select topology in the top left

by
‎01-10-2018 01:47 PM - edited ‎01-10-2018 01:48 PM

Nice :-)
But why the RJ45 Jack for the Cloudkey is not mounted in from of the Patchpanel?
Why the AC LR, it has 24 dbm (2,4 Ghz), the Lite has 20. On Germany is maximum allowed 20 dbm, you cant use the full 24.

And yes i think Cat 7  cable is standard in Germany, for fixed installation. Patchcable have Cat 6 - Cat 7 and the Jacks mostly Cat 6 or 6a

Im getting FTTH too (50 / 5 and upgrade till 300 / 30, this Year Man Happy

Maybe you can replace the Fritzbox with a Gigaset IP Phone. http://www.gigaset.com/de_de/telefone/voip-telefone/ seems to be a good thing.

greets from North Germany (near Kiel / Wacken) Man Happy

by
on ‎01-11-2018 03:37 AM

Where did you pick up the rack? I love the way the colour matches the Unifi kit.

-JP

by
on ‎01-11-2018 03:44 AM

The rack is manufactured by Triton Germany. Here is the link: https://www.triton-racks.de/en/data-cabinets/special-cabinets/rsx-19-wall-frame

The picture is not showing the colors very well... the rack is RAL 7035 (lichtgrau), which is a very light grey used in industrial standards.

@michi84:

I like to keep the Fritz!Box... it's got a nice web-interface, easy to configure rules for phone-number forwarding and blocking, supports many phonebooks and the Fritz-Phones are really nice to use when connected to a Fritz!Box. I did use Gigaset IP, and configuration was not so really nice for me, range was identical. AP-AC-LR got better antennas than Lite/Pro and they are cheaper than the Pro, so LR was the AP to use. I offically can use only 20dbm, right....  ;-)

by
‎01-11-2018 06:08 AM - edited ‎01-11-2018 06:09 AM

Nicely Done!

Thanks mainly for the picture of the Synology DS418 in the rack as i wasnt sure how much rack space i need. I was planning to get a 9U unit but now ill get a 12U so i have a bit more space for more servers Man Tongue

Maybe just get a 16 or  a 24U on wheels and put it in the basement and be happy with that Man Happy

I also use a Gigagset N510 powered via POE (US-16-150w also) and works great!

Hallo von Nürnberg!