2 weeks ago
Unifi Led panels on the farm.
Reason for Installation
store ubnt com/collections/early-access/products/unifi-led-panel Unifi led panel installed in a dairy barn
Used Products
×1
Description

I've installed a couple of these POE powered unifi led panels in my dairy barn. The barn does not have a ceiling designed for this type of panel so I made closed in wooden box's to house them and mount them up high. 6651652909081010290-account_id=1.jpg

They are being powered with an S-16 outdoor switch which is plugged into a UPS. 

They are not designed for barns, but a wooden box retro fit fix's that and doesn't add much to the cost.

I also have a unifi led dimmer ,  https://store.ubnt.com/collections/early-access/products/unifi-ledlarge (1).jpg

This is also POE powered and connected to the existing network. The combo works really well and reaction time is as instant as you can get.  I'm impressed with how bright thay are and how soft the light is. 

I wanted lights to complement the existing ones and also to be automated as the animals need more light during the long winter months. I could bore you with details but the short version is lactating dairy cows produce more milk when they have a stable cycle of light and darkness. 16 hours of light and 8 of darkness. 

While cows that are in their dry period need a shorter but still balanced cycle. 

I plan to set these schedules with the app or controller software and add more panels as they become available. I will be able to create different panel groups and program them accordingly.  

I also have enjoyed the fact that these are poe powered from a switch like the S-16 I choose, since the panels only use about 26 watts at full intensity, they remain lit when the power goes off! That's a nice bonus! I now have emergency lighting in the barn.

Another bonus is the installation. Using low voltage DC over cat5 means I don't have the same codes to follow as I do with standard AC lighting in a dairy barn.  They were not designed to be used in a barn, but some wood and screws made it too easy to adapt them for my needs. 

ULED-AT_Front_Angle_copy_1024x1024.png

UDIM-AT_Front_Angle_copy_1024x1024.png

Unifi Led panels on the farm.

by 2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago by Ubiquiti Employee

I've installed a couple of these POE powered unifi led panels in my dairy barn. The barn does not have a ceiling designed for this type of panel so I made closed in wooden box's to house them and mount them up high. 6651652909081010290-account_id=1.jpg

They are being powered with an S-16 outdoor switch which is plugged into a UPS. 

They are not designed for barns, but a wooden box retro fit fix's that and doesn't add much to the cost.

I also have a unifi led dimmer ,  https://store.ubnt.com/collections/early-access/products/unifi-ledlarge (1).jpg

This is also POE powered and connected to the existing network. The combo works really well and reaction time is as instant as you can get.  I'm impressed with how bright thay are and how soft the light is. 

I wanted lights to complement the existing ones and also to be automated as the animals need more light during the long winter months. I could bore you with details but the short version is lactating dairy cows produce more milk when they have a stable cycle of light and darkness. 16 hours of light and 8 of darkness. 

While cows that are in their dry period need a shorter but still balanced cycle. 

I plan to set these schedules with the app or controller software and add more panels as they become available. I will be able to create different panel groups and program them accordingly.  

I also have enjoyed the fact that these are poe powered from a switch like the S-16 I choose, since the panels only use about 26 watts at full intensity, they remain lit when the power goes off! That's a nice bonus! I now have emergency lighting in the barn.

Another bonus is the installation. Using low voltage DC over cat5 means I don't have the same codes to follow as I do with standard AC lighting in a dairy barn.  They were not designed to be used in a barn, but some wood and screws made it too easy to adapt them for my needs. 

ULED-AT_Front_Angle_copy_1024x1024.png

UDIM-AT_Front_Angle_copy_1024x1024.png

{"location":{"title":"Cookshire-Eaton, QC J0B 1M0, Canada","placeId":"ChIJT6vNYpOpt0wRo2SeybP9JCc"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"l2-managed-poe-gigabit-switch-with-sfp","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"store ubnt com/collections/early-access/products/unifi-led-panel\n\nUnifi led panel installed in a dairy barn","mainImage":"141745i15A2147473DDA96F"}

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Nice story @Alan87i I cant wait to get my hands on some of these.... Also very excited to see whats coming down the road!

by
2 weeks ago

A dimmer in the barn ?  Really ?  Reallly!? ok I have to then . . .

is that for moo-d lighting ?

by
2 weeks ago

Looks good @Alan87i - nice to see a story from your farm again too! What is the controller like? Is this a totally new product line, or a re-write of mFi?

@rockhead - very good!!

by
2 weeks ago

Alan, thanks for the story!  I noticed these in the shop and was wondering how well they work.

@rockhead - You may be on to something.  Go figure that cows can benefit from the IoT moovement.

by
2 weeks ago

They look awesome.

Im waiting to see more in stock so i can order some.

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Interesting - is light intensity (not simply duration) not also a factor in changing hormonal cycles and circadian rhythms (which presumably influence lactation)?

i.e. are the LEDs bright enough to simulate sunlight (or the effects thereof?) - like a SAD lamp for humans that get depressed in high latitude darkness?

by
2 weeks ago

I have not seen a sad lamp.  

As far as intensity of light being a factor , I would imagine so.   

From my own experince. I can look at these panels and other led lights and they don't hurt my eyes.  The same as the good old energy burning incandescents. 

specks for these panels. 

- Brightness: 2,400 lm 
- Color Temperature: 4,000K Natural White 
- Long-Lasting LED: L80 > 50,000 Hours 
- High Luminous Efficacy: 100 lm/W* 
- Color Rendering Index (CRI) > 80

by
2 weeks ago

That's Awesome!!! Now I'm going to have to get a couple of these and put around my house, mainily in my kids room to automate when they turn on to wake them up for school!! Man Very Happy

by
2 weeks ago

Awesome!  Thank you for sharing!