Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Unifi Mesh Testing @ Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia, Shane Filan's Concert

by ‎02-01-2017 06:52 PM - edited ‎02-01-2017 07:36 PM

Hi All,

I just want to share our story about the opportunity for trying out the brand new shiny Unifi Mesh and it's an honor for me and my team to be the first one who trying out this brand new unifi in Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.

We are very lucky that UBNT Spectrumindo's boss Mr. Teguh Wijaya willing to lend us the Unifi Mesh that he just receive from UBNT for testing only and we are the one who testing it Man Happy

The configuration is not in the perfect condition as we have limited access to eletricity on the area, we only have 1 spot with electricity at McDonald's restaurant and the rest of the 3 spots we need to improvised the power supply using 12 Volts 35 Ampere Car Battery + Stepup DC Inverter and put it inside the outdoor box.

This event supposed to be an Air Supply concert, but then Air Supply cancelled because one of their singers was ill, the event organizer invited Shane Filan the former Westlife singer as the replacement.

Click here for my original post on facebook back in December 4th, 2016.

The only problem that we are facing that time is we didn't expected the users to connect to the Unifi all in the same time, which they did after the MC of the event announce that they provides free Wifi with SSID : #SULUTHEBAT so evebody can live stream or uploading pictures to their social media easier.

The connected user that time jump to about 1,000 users and more in the same time and as it seems it's not a problem for unifi mesh handling that much of users, our unfi controller which we install at our virtual machine in the cloud at our NOC (unifi controller about 5 KM away from where the unifi mesh at, connected with PtP Litebeam AC) seems to worked fine since it still receiving updates from those unifi mesh and other unifi that we manage on several production sites.

Then we start receving complains that some users can not use the internet, when we investigate, we found out that after reaching +1000 users conneted to the 4 unifi mesh, the DHCP server which we use Mikrotik RB850GX2 start experiencing problem we notice the processor usage at 100% and slow/delay giving IP to new users/devices, this is the problem that we underestimated, we though that this router with 2 cores can handle the DHCP job, apparently not Man Happy

Overall, installation good and easy, no problem, oh you need to upgrade the unifi mesh's firmware in order for the wireless uplink to work, Mr. Iskandar of UBNT Spectrumindo Surabaya does point that to us, because at first when still using the original firmware, wireless uplink doesn't work. 

Unifi Mesh, amazing little good stuff UBNT got there Man Happy Ubnt Banana 

Credits to :

- Mr. Teguh Wijaya, Mr. Iskandar & Spectrumindo Team.

- Cintha Putri of UBNT USA.

- Mr. Johanis Rembet and his Infotek Technical Support Team

- Fander Hoke of SS Computer Manado.

unifi-mesh-09.jpgunifi-mesh-01.jpgunifi-mesh-02.jpgunifi-mesh-03.jpgunifi-mesh-04.jpgunifi-mesh-05.jpgunifi-mesh-06.jpgunifi-mesh-08.jpg

|Nielson.Assa|
|| My mind usually faster than my fingers, aside that english is my second language, bear with me.
|| My opinions are based on my own experiences and my conditions.
|| If you want to eat it, take your own risk. No money back guarantee will be honor :-)
Comments
by
on ‎02-01-2017 07:45 PM

Wow you were using the 2x2's and they performed that well... That's awesome! What speeds did you set for the guests?

by
‎02-01-2017 08:12 PM - edited ‎02-01-2017 08:13 PM

Hi,

The amount of bandwidth that we allocated for the event was 60 Mbps, as I remember at peak time when users connected reached ~1000, the bandwidth usage is about 40-50 Mbps, but then the usage die down quickly since the concert started, traffic goes to 10-20 Mbps at the most after that and the amount of users connected decrease too, I guess the concert is more interesting than the free internet Man Happy

About your question, we don't set limit the speed of each users since we have a very good bandwidth management, so every user got the chance to use up to maximum bandwidth provided, which is 60 Mbp.

by
on ‎02-01-2017 08:53 PM

Ubnt Banana

by
on ‎02-01-2017 11:13 PM

I feel your pain when the MC announced the wifi was open to all.

I had it happen to me a couple of years ago at a Morgan Cars open day at a venue I had installed a system at. I gave their commentator the SSID and Key for his own use and within ten minutes he had broadcast it on the PA. It made for an interesting conversation where I said Fekk a lot in quick succesion.

by
on ‎02-02-2017 01:00 AM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing! In fact it's interesting as I just ordered a AC M to do some check as replacement of an UAP outdoor. 
I just wonder if you used both 2.4 and 5GHz for connectivity or just 2.4 in outdoor condition. If you used both, did you had some issue between the LiteBeam AC and the AP regarding the spectrum bandwidth available for outdoor use ? 

by
on ‎02-02-2017 01:52 AM

Sangat bagus! Icon Wink

Selamat. Hurray

by
on ‎02-02-2017 02:00 AM

Hi Jim,

That time we are using Litebeam AC as our PtP Backhaul to our nearest distribution node/tower and in the same spot we also have Nanostation M5 as access point serving some clients in the area. So those 3 radios at McDonald's restaurant are in the same spot (Backhaul, Clients AP & Unifi Mesh), it was AP01-MCD on the map.

We didn't notice any hickup on the backhaul, so I guess The 3 radios (Backhaul, Clients AP & Unifi Mesh) doesn't interfere each other. And yes the Unif AC were using both 2,4Ghz & 5Ghz frequency for connectivity, since idevices will default using 5 Ghz when connected to wifi ac and I am sure the wireless uplink between Unifi Mesh are using 5 Ghz too.

by
on ‎02-02-2017 02:15 AM

Hi @nielsassa

In fact I forgot the fact 5GHz is mandatory for the Mesh.... My bad. 
Good to know it's managing well with the backhaul radio. So you got these perfs with all used. Very good for this small piece of tech! So now I'm more impatient to have a look on this AP AC M (even if i will use it differently).

Cheers

by
on ‎02-02-2017 07:16 PM

Are these all meshed to each other back to the AP01-MCD ?

What is distance between AP01 and AP03 ?

by
on ‎02-03-2017 07:12 AM

@illusionsacc

I'm not sure how the mesh really work, I assumed the Unifi system/controller setup the wireless uplink based on the best signal or the nearest existing AP, or it could be star topology, every AP connected to the Main/First AP through wireless.

The distance between AP01 (Main) - AP03 (Farther AP) is about 100 - 150 Meters wireless distance. The area basically a square with basket ball field about in the middle of it, we called the area Mega Mas Square.