a week ago
Unifi Network/Home Lab upgrade
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

I recently upgraded from my single 24-port POE Ubiquiti switch. I added this for the home network as well as for my lab environment. I typically run a lab enivronment for my day job so I am running three HPE Gen8 servers running a virtualized environment. I bought the XG to replace my existing firewall so I can get away from opensource and move to a single pane of glass for my entire network. I don't have the cables as nice and neat as I would like but I am still working on it.

Boxes.png

First power-up

PreInstall.png

Full Rack

fullRack.jpg

After complete setup.

rackedAndWired.png

Unifi Network/Home Lab upgrade

by a week ago - last edited a week ago

I recently upgraded from my single 24-port POE Ubiquiti switch. I added this for the home network as well as for my lab environment. I typically run a lab enivronment for my day job so I am running three HPE Gen8 servers running a virtualized environment. I bought the XG to replace my existing firewall so I can get away from opensource and move to a single pane of glass for my entire network. I don't have the cables as nice and neat as I would like but I am still working on it.

Boxes.png

First power-up

PreInstall.png

Full Rack

fullRack.jpg

After complete setup.

rackedAndWired.png

{"location":{"title":"USA","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-xg-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-xg","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"198196iC937256A89C1A6CC"}

Comments
by
a week ago

hell of a home lab you got there.

by
a week ago

Awesome Equipment.

Hate the plastic cable management on the front.

Use this. I believe its called Wire Loom

And use the black straps to hold it in place. 

Just my thoughts.

by
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@captainwtf 

It is quite the lab helps that I can run through most anything.

@nscchicken 

Thanks for the recommendation, I am going to look at getting those. I am not much a fan of the plastic cable management in the front either, its all I had at the time.

by
a week ago

You've got plenty of rack space, why not use proper 19" cable-management like here?

by
Saturday

@AF360Thanks, I am going to look into that. I have some other cable management options arriving today that was recommended previously but I really like some of the options you provided a link to.

by
Sunday

you might want to consider using something like a strain relief bar and velcro’ing to that instead of the wireloom. Wireloom and similar solutions are tricky to make look right and difficult to make changes after the fact. I always try to think about how easy will it be to service in the long run with modifications or worse yet when you have a switch failure and have to pull an entire module out. 

Strain relief bar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EKRQS2

Velcro roll:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FT2WHO6