Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Unifi Network + Video (At Home)

by ‎06-10-2017 07:45 PM - edited ‎06-10-2017 08:31 PM

Jut wanted to share some pictures of what my unifi deployment looks like at Home .. I am loving every piece of hardware, and our network has been solid since day one.

About the home: 2100 sq' foot two-level home (main floor + basement) built in the 1940's, both AP's are ceiling mounted on the main floor, penetration to basement is very good). -- lot is about 6000 sq foot, and we get very good coverage with 2 AP's inside and out.  The equipment rack is inside a closet in the basement in the media room.

Unifi components: USG, 16-port POE switch (150W), 8-port POE passthrough swtich, 2 UAP-AC (one pro, one lite), 4 unifi dome cameras (3rd gen), 3 bullet cams (3rd gen)

Non Unifi components: Motorola Docsis modem, 2U homebrew server (backup + controller + DVR), Cyberpower 700 Va UPS.

The 16 port POE swtich powers the 2 AP's, and the 7 cameras, plus the POE passthrough switch. -- I had an electrician run cat5e up to my attic and drop it thorugh the ceiling for the cameras and APs' (or throug the side of the house). -- Why cat5e? .. well for cameras you dont need more cat5e, and i can always replace it later if i need more for the AP's.  (not going to need it soon imo) -- the electrician just ran the wires, and i saved some money by doing the termination on both ends myself. 

The 400W 700VA UPS unit is configured to run the NVR for 5 minutes after loosing power, then the server shuts down, and the UPS continues to power the switches, modem, and USG, for another 45 minutes.  

I built my own NVR, if anyone is interested i can look up the specs, but its fairly closed specced to the NVR ubiquiti sells, except i have 16GB of ram, and 7 TB of disk on it (4 for video, and 3 for backups). -- its recording 7 cameras and runs at about 10% utilization of cpu. 

If i was to do this again, i would just buy 2 UAP-AC Pros (and skip the lite, i get better speeds with my AC eq on the pro.. ) -- and i would buy a larger rack (25U) to give me more room to grow or to be able to spread things out. -- also i would buy the right size rack so it would fit in the closet facing forward rather than sideways. if money was no object, i'd also buy the USG PRO-4, and the beta 1U Application server pro, since they both rack mount and it would look nicer.  (dont need either, but if money was no object right?)

15 U Rack - From top: KB+Display, 16-port patch panel, 16 port switch (150W), drawer, tivo, 2u server (controller, NVR, backup), receiver, 400W 700VA UPS.  The cabling color code is: green (AP's), yellow (Cameras), blue (hosts + switch), red (internet uplink)15 U Rack - From top: KB+Display, 16-port patch panel, 16 port switch (150W), drawer, tivo, 2u server (controller, NVR, backup), receiver, 400W 700VA UPS. The cabling color code is: green (AP's), yellow (Cameras), blue (hosts + switch), red (internet uplink)

The KB + Display unit opened up, (got it on ebay for $50)The KB + Display unit opened up, (got it on ebay for $50)

USG  and Unifi 8 passthrough POE attached to the side. (The switch is on the back for connecting some extra clients, like TV, chromecast 4k, and the powerline)USG and Unifi 8 passthrough POE attached to the side. (The switch is on the back for connecting some extra clients, like TV, chromecast 4k, and the powerline)

Docsis Modem for XfinityDocsis Modem for Xfinity

The rack in its storage position (i got one with a base that was too long to fit any other way in the closet, doh!)The rack in its storage position (i got one with a base that was too long to fit any other way in the closet, doh!)UAP-AC-Pro installed on the ceiling of the dining room.  (2 AP's give me 100% coverage for my 2100 sq foot home, and entire yard.UAP-AC-Pro installed on the ceiling of the dining room. (2 AP's give me 100% coverage for my 2100 sq foot home, and entire yard.Indoor dome 3rd gen in the basement.Indoor dome 3rd gen in the basement.

3rd gen bullet in the backyard.3rd gen bullet in the backyard.3rd gen Dome at the front entrance3rd gen Dome at the front entrance

Comments
by
on ‎06-10-2017 08:14 PM

Are you pleased with the Unifi Video and cam setup? I currently use synology with Hikvision cams, but was considering switching over to Unifi Video and NVR..

by
on ‎06-10-2017 08:27 PM

Our main use for the camera system is to keep tabs on the babysitters / nannies / therapists that visit our house (we have a special needs 3 yr old boy, who is non-verbal, and has poor balance).

My requirements was that it be 1080p, use POE, and keep the video local (did not want to have the feeds leave the house). -- unifi video meets those needs and has worked reliably since i installed it about a year ago.

I sometimes wish it was easier to integrate the video feed with my home automation, but the unifi system is not a consumer focused system. -- rather than use their NVR i built my own machine, loaded it with 4TB of disk, and i can store 15 days of 24x7 video on 7 cameras at high resolution and 15 fps.

i'm very pleased with the system -- i recently enabled their cloud integration so i can access the feed while away from my network, and on a phone or tablet it works great, if accessed through a browser i'm running into the limits of my upload bandwidth (5 Mb) - so i need to create some views that are lower res to be able to use that better.

by
on ‎06-10-2017 08:32 PM

For the remote viewing cloud integration, did you have to config dynDNS or is it built into the app and Video controller?

by
on ‎06-10-2017 08:47 PM

When you use ubiquiti's cloud integration, you can access your NVR by going to http://video.unifi.com you then log-in using your ubiquiti credentials (and can setup 2-factor authentication),

the cloud integration just sets up access to the NVR, the feed itself is still local, and only leaves the premises when someone is viewing from outside through the cloud integration, and then its a direct transfer from your network to the client as far as i can tell.  (video does not transfer through ubiquiti's servers) -- this is a real important point for me.

by
on ‎06-10-2017 08:55 PM

So when you access your feed on your phone or tablet, are you viewing through the phones browser, or are you using the Unifi Video app? If using the app, outside of you home network, I assumed dynDNS  would need to be setup, to connect to your home network.

by
on ‎06-11-2017 03:16 AM

You can do both - if using your browser you go to video.ubnt.com -- if using the app you login using the same credentials and the app shows you the connected deployments to the cloud.

by using the cloud integration you do not have to use DynDNS

prior to using the cloud integration i used to have a VPN setup so i could connect to ny home network to see the camera feeds. -- that did require DynDNS so i could find my network.  (worked fine for USG though)

by
on ‎06-11-2017 04:38 AM

When connected to the Ubiquiti cloud services you can manage your network and watch video footage through your webbrowser and mobile apps.

Both Unifi and Unifi video don't require VPN, DynDNS, portforwarding nor openening ports on the firewall.

The Ubiquiti cloud just facilitates the connection to your controller, it doesn't access your actual video footage.

All you need is a Ubiquiti account.  And if you post on this forum, you already have one Icon Smile

by
on ‎06-11-2017 05:50 AM

@ricardol

@EDPR

Thank you you both for the input. Looks like I'll be shifting to Unifi Video for my needs. ✔️

by
on ‎06-15-2017 12:30 PM

@ricardol 

Nice cabling on your Cameras and AP. How did you get the cat6 to the AP and Dome camera in the celing? 

by
on ‎06-16-2017 02:53 AM

I paid an electrician to pull cable from my basement up to the attic and then we drilled through the ceiling just wide enough to get the cable through at each install location. -- the cable runs are in conduit along the outside of the house (easier that trying to run through walls to the attic)

i ran cat 5e rather than cat6