03/02/2018
Unifi Powering Internet & TV on Yacht
Reason for Installation
Unifi gateway receiving Internet from cable provider at slip, and auto-switch to amplified LTE service when out to sea. Internal network is powered by an 8 port Unifi Switch 150W connecting all UAP-AC-Pro units.
Used Products
×1
×1
×5
Description

Recently a client of mine that gets Internet through the airmax network I setup last year asked me to come take a look at their yacht. We are trying out some new ideas to get them going and keep them connected while on the move. Since the yacht will be docked a majority of the time, I opted to get cable Internet at their home slip, and have also installed a Cradlepoint for off shore use. This is a work in progress. 

The original setup was an old Verizon 3G USB modem plugged into a Cradlepoint on the bridge and shoved under a cabinet. The WiFi was powered by ASUS routers that had been reconfigured as wifi access points. Unfortunately these were not operating properly, and conflicting with another very old marine wifi system that seemed to max out at about 2mbps.

20180217_031024430_iOS.jpgArea behind AV rack

20180217_031008510_iOS.jpgRemoving the ceiling in the kitchen to pull coax lines

First we had to install the coax line from the side of the ship up into the AV rack. This rack is a mess, 14 directv boxes, most just placed on their sides to fit in there and wires everywhere...no organization. Worst of all, when I pulled out the rack to start installing the switch, I found all of the network lines (shielded CAT6) were punched to a 66 block, and then a matching end of CAT5 was punched to the same section into a network switch. It "worked", as in there was network connectivity, but unstable. All of the cables were pulled off, and proper ends were terminated on the lines so that the PoE & data would flow correctly.

20180302_201207643_iOS.jpgUnifi Switch 8-150W with cloud key installed

I was able to remove the switch you see hanging in the above photo and do a little bit more cleanup to the area. But now that we have UAP-AC-Pro units throughout the ship, the Internet is blazing fast while docked. We have yet to finish the amplified LTE antennas at the top and test it out. For the most part, the owners know how unreliable the Internet is while out to sea, but the LTE system installed will allow for CAT6 LTE (600MBps max) while within cellular range. The USG and Cradlepoint are shown below.20180302_201420873_iOS.jpgUnifi USG set with its dual WAN

I'm excited to continue working on this project, and eventually have all of the AV and network equipment completely cleaned up in the future. 

Unifi Powering Internet & TV on Yacht

by on ‎03-02-2018 05:45 PM

Recently a client of mine that gets Internet through the airmax network I setup last year asked me to come take a look at their yacht. We are trying out some new ideas to get them going and keep them connected while on the move. Since the yacht will be docked a majority of the time, I opted to get cable Internet at their home slip, and have also installed a Cradlepoint for off shore use. This is a work in progress. 

The original setup was an old Verizon 3G USB modem plugged into a Cradlepoint on the bridge and shoved under a cabinet. The WiFi was powered by ASUS routers that had been reconfigured as wifi access points. Unfortunately these were not operating properly, and conflicting with another very old marine wifi system that seemed to max out at about 2mbps.

20180217_031024430_iOS.jpgArea behind AV rack

20180217_031008510_iOS.jpgRemoving the ceiling in the kitchen to pull coax lines

First we had to install the coax line from the side of the ship up into the AV rack. This rack is a mess, 14 directv boxes, most just placed on their sides to fit in there and wires everywhere...no organization. Worst of all, when I pulled out the rack to start installing the switch, I found all of the network lines (shielded CAT6) were punched to a 66 block, and then a matching end of CAT5 was punched to the same section into a network switch. It "worked", as in there was network connectivity, but unstable. All of the cables were pulled off, and proper ends were terminated on the lines so that the PoE & data would flow correctly.

20180302_201207643_iOS.jpgUnifi Switch 8-150W with cloud key installed

I was able to remove the switch you see hanging in the above photo and do a little bit more cleanup to the area. But now that we have UAP-AC-Pro units throughout the ship, the Internet is blazing fast while docked. We have yet to finish the amplified LTE antennas at the top and test it out. For the most part, the owners know how unreliable the Internet is while out to sea, but the LTE system installed will allow for CAT6 LTE (600MBps max) while within cellular range. The USG and Cradlepoint are shown below.20180302_201420873_iOS.jpgUnifi USG set with its dual WAN

I'm excited to continue working on this project, and eventually have all of the AV and network equipment completely cleaned up in the future. 

{"location":{"title":"Malibu, CA 90265, USA","placeId":"ChIJzdXBne4i6IARfbXgYnm6e2c"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":5}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Unifi gateway receiving Internet from cable provider at slip, and auto-switch to amplified LTE service when out to sea. Internal network is powered by an 8 port Unifi Switch 150W connecting all UAP-AC-Pro units.","mainImage":"145982i2195951826FAE465"}

Comments
by
on ‎03-04-2018 01:00 AM

Oh dear, what a mess you got into!  Cleaning up other's mess isn't particular the nicest job but can be rewarding nonetheless.

If you don't use the SFP's on the US-8-150W, I'd replace it with a US-8-60W (or a basic US-8 if you don't use its PoE).  The smaller US-8's use less power and generate less heat, which might be a welcome feature.

I'd personally pull out all coax and DirecTV boxes and come up with a Plex solution (they recently added live tv to their feature list), terminated by either Apple TV's or Roku's.  With the UAP-AC-PRO's you'll have enought bandwidth to do so wireless.

by
on ‎03-04-2018 09:03 AM

Yes, I’m using the POE from the switch to power all of the pro AC units. I have a couple more to go in the state rooms down below.

Im with you, the first order of business was to install an Apple TV 4K in the main living room. The owner is now hooked up to DirecTV NOW. Now I have to figure out how we’re going to get HDMI from the rack to the TVs since right now all I have is a set of component video instead of CAT6.

by
on ‎03-06-2018 08:49 PM

If your power budget is not above 60W, do go for the US-8-60W

I havent tried this, but it might be possible to use the Apple TV connecting to a local Plex server which is connected to DirecTV.  Alternatively there might be an native Apple TV app to watch DirecTV directly through the Apple TV.  Considering your cabling issues you might want to explore these (more modern) alternatives.