05/28/2018
Unifi Setup for a small hotel.
Reason for Installation
Rack Equipment: -> Lanberg 19'' 6U Black Rack with two 120x120 rack fans engaged by thermostat. -> Lanberg Shielded Cat 6/ 24ports Patch panel. -> Lanberg Cat 6 cables (0.25m, 0.50m, 1m, 3m). -> Acar surge protector 504WF with 5 sockets. -> APC BX700U Schuko Ups 700VA that keeps our network for 95mins without electricity (Placed behind the patch panel). UBNT devices: -> UniFi Cloud Key -> UniFi Security Gateway ->UniFi Switch 8 (150W) -> UniFi AC LR (3 units) -> UniFi AC Pro (1 unit placed in reception) -> UniFi AC Mesh AP (1 unit placed in terrrace area)
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×3
×1
×1
Description

After having trouble for a few years with our network gear, we decided to update our network to a level that would satisfy all of our customers. So we UniFi_ed our network in a rack placed in reception.
As regards the rack, we used one that had enough space to fit our equipment.

1.jpgSetting up the rack.

2.jpgTesting before mounting.

3.jpgMounted on the wall.

4.jpgFinal result.

5.jpgAccess point in room.

Rack Equipment:
-> Lanberg 19'' 6U Black Rack with two 120x120 rack fans engaged by thermostat.
-> Lanberg Shielded Cat 6/ 24ports Patch panel.
-> Lanberg Cat 6 cables (0.25m, 0.50m, 1m, 3m).
-> Acar surge protector 504WF with 5 sockets.
-> APC BX700U Schuko Ups 700VA that keeps our network for 95mins without electricity
(Placed behind the patch panel).

UBNT devices:
-> UniFi Cloud Key
-> UniFi Security Gateway
->UniFi Switch 8 (150W)
-> UniFi AC LR (3 units)
-> UniFi AC Pro (1 unit placed in reception)
-> UniFi AC Mesh AP (1 unit placed in terrrace area)

Results:
Everyday more than 20 happy customers use our wifi network with speeds up to 30 Mbps.

Believe me, the setup looks much prettier in real than the photos.
We hope you liked our setup and feel free to give it a like.

Looking forward to hear your opinion below in comments. Man Wink

Unifi Setup for a small hotel.

by ‎05-28-2018 01:13 PM - edited ‎05-29-2018 05:52 AM

After having trouble for a few years with our network gear, we decided to update our network to a level that would satisfy all of our customers. So we UniFi_ed our network in a rack placed in reception.
As regards the rack, we used one that had enough space to fit our equipment.

1.jpgSetting up the rack.

2.jpgTesting before mounting.

3.jpgMounted on the wall.

4.jpgFinal result.

5.jpgAccess point in room.

Rack Equipment:
-> Lanberg 19'' 6U Black Rack with two 120x120 rack fans engaged by thermostat.
-> Lanberg Shielded Cat 6/ 24ports Patch panel.
-> Lanberg Cat 6 cables (0.25m, 0.50m, 1m, 3m).
-> Acar surge protector 504WF with 5 sockets.
-> APC BX700U Schuko Ups 700VA that keeps our network for 95mins without electricity
(Placed behind the patch panel).

UBNT devices:
-> UniFi Cloud Key
-> UniFi Security Gateway
->UniFi Switch 8 (150W)
-> UniFi AC LR (3 units)
-> UniFi AC Pro (1 unit placed in reception)
-> UniFi AC Mesh AP (1 unit placed in terrrace area)

Results:
Everyday more than 20 happy customers use our wifi network with speeds up to 30 Mbps.

Believe me, the setup looks much prettier in real than the photos.
We hope you liked our setup and feel free to give it a like.

Looking forward to hear your opinion below in comments. Man Wink

{"location":{"title":"Unnamed Road, Ios 840 01, Ελλάδα","placeId":"ChIJs1SI5Ag5mBQRArWNTR8zJtE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-lr","count":3},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Rack Equipment:\n-> Lanberg 19'' 6U Black Rack with two 120x120 rack fans engaged by thermostat. \n-> Lanberg Shielded Cat 6/ 24ports Patch panel.\n-> Lanberg Cat 6 cables (0.25m, 0.50m, 1m, 3m).\n-> Acar surge protector 504WF with 5 sockets.\n-> APC BX700U Schuko Ups 700VA that keeps our network for 95mins without electricity \n (Placed behind the patch panel).\n \nUBNT devices:\n-> UniFi Cloud Key\n-> UniFi Security Gateway\n->UniFi Switch 8 (150W)\n-> UniFi AC LR (3 units)\n-> UniFi AC Pro (1 unit placed in reception)\n-> UniFi AC Mesh AP (1 unit placed in terrrace area)\n\n\n\n\n\n","mainImage":"159147iA63D83680E3568D9"}

Comments
by
on ‎05-29-2018 01:30 PM

if i was in your hotel and sleeping  shut down that light.

That light holds me awake.

by
on ‎05-29-2018 06:33 PM

I agree with @PsychoticNL regarding the light situation. Otherwise great looking install.

by
on ‎05-30-2018 06:33 AM

@PsychoticNL @devinjohnson Lights are turned off in all devices. I just turned them on for the photo. Thank for your comments. Man Happy

by
on ‎06-05-2018 02:51 AM

Really nice setup, clean and tidy. Great job!

by
on ‎06-07-2018 09:41 AM

Nice instalation Man Happy

One question - is 30 Mbps enough for that many users?

by
on ‎06-07-2018 11:38 AM

Speed is never enough.  But it probably does the job just fine.

Looking to the map the hotel is on a small remote island.  Chances are low there is submarine fiber coming in.  Bandwidth is expensive and clientele is scarse.

We offer connectivity to several small islands between 5 and 10km from the mainland where our fiber terminates.  5Ghz was so crowded the only solution we had was to go to 11Ghz.  It was expensive and time consuming to get it licensed.  We terminate on AE or GPON.  Buildings, active equipment, batteries, gensets, cabling, it all adds up quickly.

Our first customers take 100-200 Mbps.  Next year we will offer 10Mbps to smaller businesses.  Connections are expensive in the eyes of our customers, but it's all but a cash cow for us.  Our ultimate goal is however not to sell connections but create market for installing Unifi inside the hotels and resorts. 

Looking to the situation and location, 30Mbps looks quite ok.  I'm interested in how it comes in and how much they pay for it.

by
on ‎06-07-2018 11:49 AM

Oh, I see. I belive that there might be a problem with the connection/speed.

Thanks for sharing your experience Man Wink

by
on ‎06-09-2018 01:45 PM

very nice cabling.

by
on ‎06-11-2018 01:02 AM

Wow thanks for sharing but I believe if your hotel has big outdoor space, it would be better to try using mesh devices creating mesh wireless network for your guests. As of what you have mentioned, I don't think you can use the UAP AC  M to its full potential. However, have you faced any problem using UAP AC LR?

by
on ‎06-11-2018 11:42 AM

Thank you very much @phiber. As regards the coverage @prtkh, signal is more than 85% in all the areas as the Mesh AP covers hotel's terrace area. Man Happy