a week ago
Unifi Switching and Wireless
Reason for Installation
Unifi Switching and Wireless install in a private school.
Used Products
×12
×3
×2
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
×2
Description

Needed to do a network refresh in a private school and chose Unifi as the platform.  This enabled centralized management and configuration.  We started by running 238 CAT6 data drops in the new building split between 2 floors.2nd Floor bundle2nd Floor bundle

2nd  Floor cables entering MDF2nd Floor cables entering MDF

2nd Floor2nd Floor

Installed the racks and terminated all the drops using Leviton patch panels and modules.  Cables were dressed in and tested.  I do not have any photos of the wall plates as it is the usual plates and modules.

Terminated and  Fiber tray installedTerminated and Fiber tray installed

2nd  Floor cables  laced to rack2nd Floor cables laced to rack

Simple bundleSimple bundle

Next was the switch install as well as the other equipment such as the servers, phone system, routers, etc.

The Unifi Video software is running on Ubuntu Server 16.04 on dedicated hardware as we had a spare server.  All other server workloads are virtualized. 

Complete rackComplete rack

Patch and switchPatch and switch

Fiber connecting other buildingsFiber connecting other buildings

This was a complete switching, video, and wireless install.  There is also more Unifi equipment in other buildings but again, I did not take photos.  It was a fun project.  There are 7 cameras covering the main areas with plenty room to add more.  The controller is running as an Ubuntu 16.04 VM in Hyper-V Server 2016.  I did have too many issues with the Cloud Key and had to remove it.  I believe there was too much equipment and it could not handle it.

Behind the glassBehind the glass

Simple cameraSimple camera

Unifi Switching and Wireless

by a week ago

Needed to do a network refresh in a private school and chose Unifi as the platform.  This enabled centralized management and configuration.  We started by running 238 CAT6 data drops in the new building split between 2 floors.2nd Floor bundle2nd Floor bundle

2nd  Floor cables entering MDF2nd Floor cables entering MDF

2nd Floor2nd Floor

Installed the racks and terminated all the drops using Leviton patch panels and modules.  Cables were dressed in and tested.  I do not have any photos of the wall plates as it is the usual plates and modules.

Terminated and  Fiber tray installedTerminated and Fiber tray installed

2nd  Floor cables  laced to rack2nd Floor cables laced to rack

Simple bundleSimple bundle

Next was the switch install as well as the other equipment such as the servers, phone system, routers, etc.

The Unifi Video software is running on Ubuntu Server 16.04 on dedicated hardware as we had a spare server.  All other server workloads are virtualized. 

Complete rackComplete rack

Patch and switchPatch and switch

Fiber connecting other buildingsFiber connecting other buildings

This was a complete switching, video, and wireless install.  There is also more Unifi equipment in other buildings but again, I did not take photos.  It was a fun project.  There are 7 cameras covering the main areas with plenty room to add more.  The controller is running as an Ubuntu 16.04 VM in Hyper-V Server 2016.  I did have too many issues with the Cloud Key and had to remove it.  I believe there was too much equipment and it could not handle it.

Behind the glassBehind the glass

Simple cameraSimple camera

{"location":{"title":"Texas, USA","placeId":"ChIJSTKCCzZwQIYRPN4IGI8c6xY"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":12},{"id":"unifi-switch-48","count":3},{"id":"unifiswitch-48-500w","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-xg-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-lr","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ap","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Unifi Switching and Wireless install in a private school. ","mainImage":"142901iA0F24C9535027DD6"}

Comments
by
Wednesday

this cable management is beautiful, thank you!

by
Wednesday
Holy moly! Looks very nice.
by
Wednesday

Wish my schools looked like that.

by Ubiquiti Employee
Wednesday

This is Awesome to see, Nice Work!!

by
Thursday

What about the cable lenght?

by
Thursday

The longest drops from patch panel to wall plate are less than 180' and are well within the allowable distance.  The MDF is viewable through a curved glass wall so the students will ask questions and get engaged. 

by
Thursday

always love the panduit rack stuff 

nice job !

by
Thursday

Panduit is Panduit :-) Great work!

by
Friday

@brandon220 => I like the installation, it's really neet, and great cabling !.

I do have only one simple question : why having so many different type of hardware ? for replacement and spare parts management, it's a pain.
I mean :

• you have for example, 1 type of switches, normal, for high density (48 ports 1Gbps) and aggregation at 10 Gbps (XG), but 3 types of POE switch, 48, 25 and 16 !
  • you have 3 type of UAP, lite, LR ...

it's just to simplify maintenance, and reduce really cost over time : you can have 4 types of hardware :

1. switches
  2. POE switches
  3. aggregation switches
  4. UAP

It's a brilliant project anyway ;-P

Great work ! 

by
Friday

Looks lovely. I can't be the only one to find their pulse quickens when they see a good cable dressing like this, can I? Great work!