Unifi System For Tricked Out Network For My Parents
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

My parents have been in the process of building a house for the last 1.5 years and part of the design of the house they wanted a "tricked out" and 21st century network.  During the design phase of the house I had my parents include structured wiring to each room in the house, some rooms had multiple drops.  In each room there was also a in wall audio controller as well as speakers in the ceiling for a whole home audio system.

Some of the same technology that was used in my brothers home setup was used in this setup as well.

My parents wanted wifi coverage everywhere and a system that just worked and was future proof for the rest of their lives.  They also didn't want something that would break down and have to be replaced or something that was super complicated, enter Unifi as the solution...

There is a symeterical fiber connection to the house by ATMC that is connected to the USG 3 Port.  The Unifi setup is all local to their house, no outside cloud controller.  The USG is connected to a 48 port switch that connects to a patch panel for all the rooms in the house.  The 48 port switch is then connected with aggregated SFP's to a 8 port POE switch that powers 3 POE security cameras around the house.  The 8 port POE switch also powers a AC Pro access point.  For a network diagram see below.

diagram.png

overview.png

The rack for all of this sits in a closet with a fan that is triggered by temperature in the closet.  The rack also contains an audio receiver for the main TV as well as the amps and controller for the whole house audio system by HTD.

For remote management my brother and I have manual site-to-site VPN's setup our home Unifi networks to manage the network remotely if anything were to ever happen.  Additionally, a remote user VPN is setup as well.

Shout out to @esloyer for the network design and leading the install as well.  I know our parents are loving the new setup!!!

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

Unifi System For Tricked Out Network For My Parents

by ‎08-11-2018 04:33 PM - edited ‎08-12-2018 08:03 AM

My parents have been in the process of building a house for the last 1.5 years and part of the design of the house they wanted a "tricked out" and 21st century network.  During the design phase of the house I had my parents include structured wiring to each room in the house, some rooms had multiple drops.  In each room there was also a in wall audio controller as well as speakers in the ceiling for a whole home audio system.

Some of the same technology that was used in my brothers home setup was used in this setup as well.

My parents wanted wifi coverage everywhere and a system that just worked and was future proof for the rest of their lives.  They also didn't want something that would break down and have to be replaced or something that was super complicated, enter Unifi as the solution...

There is a symeterical fiber connection to the house by ATMC that is connected to the USG 3 Port.  The Unifi setup is all local to their house, no outside cloud controller.  The USG is connected to a 48 port switch that connects to a patch panel for all the rooms in the house.  The 48 port switch is then connected with aggregated SFP's to a 8 port POE switch that powers 3 POE security cameras around the house.  The 8 port POE switch also powers a AC Pro access point.  For a network diagram see below.

diagram.png

overview.png

The rack for all of this sits in a closet with a fan that is triggered by temperature in the closet.  The rack also contains an audio receiver for the main TV as well as the amps and controller for the whole house audio system by HTD.

For remote management my brother and I have manual site-to-site VPN's setup our home Unifi networks to manage the network remotely if anything were to ever happen.  Additionally, a remote user VPN is setup as well.

Shout out to @esloyer for the network design and leading the install as well.  I know our parents are loving the new setup!!!

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

{"location":{"title":"wilmi","placeId":"ChIJL_z-GFYZqokRpyLoTy1DC1c"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-48","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"169801i09FB070843E2C66A"}

Comments
by
on ‎08-12-2018 05:32 AM

Nice setup! Kudos to the both of you for giving your parents an awesome network install.

by
on ‎08-12-2018 05:36 AM

Great job on your parents home network! I did a much smaller installation for mine. Made a story as well. Its so nice to use UniFi for remote management! Plus the products work so well!

by
on ‎08-12-2018 05:55 AM

Are you using zwave switches?  What switch is the one with a bunch of lighted rectangular buttons?

by
on ‎08-12-2018 06:45 AM

Not critiquing, but curious since it looks like the 48 port PoE switch is not fully occupied why the additional 8 port PoE switch?

Kudos we're still handily earned for the parent's setup, good job guys.

by
on ‎08-12-2018 07:36 AM

Just curious as to why your parents need such a tricked out system?

by
on ‎08-12-2018 08:04 AM

@dpaulson sorry I had a typo on the original post, the 48 port switch is not POE, we decided to save a couple bucks and just get a small POE switch since they only had a couple POE devices.

by
on ‎08-12-2018 08:04 AM

@Arielnh they wanted something future proof and high that just worked, they didn't want consume grade stuff that they would have to constantly deal with breaking.

by
on ‎08-12-2018 08:11 AM

@LukeS the smart home automation stuff is by Insteon.  I used an ISY controller, it does everything over their proprietary protocol but also works with other open automation automation protocols as well.

The device with the blue lights on and the one above that is by HTD, those are for the whole house home audio system.  One is literally a switch for it which provides connections for individual controllers in each room and then the device on top of that is volume control and the amp for each zone.

by
on ‎08-12-2018 11:35 AM

@jsloyer Ah, I see.  Seems legit to me Man Happy

by
on ‎08-12-2018 01:20 PM

They seem to be pushing up more bandwidth than basically any other home setup I've seen- Did you guys look into why they're pushing up pretty much 5+Mbps near constantly (security camera's pushing to cloud NVR)?