Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

07/11/2017
Unifi at the Lake
Description

Last summer my Dad asked what we could do to get better Wi-Fi coverage at our Lake house.  They were looking to have good signal on both docks. He said he's seen Wi-Fi range extenders, but I told him we should steer clear of those. Having used Ubiquiti products in my own house, I figured it was the right fit for up there. He also asked about adding a couple cameras, and I knew that wouldn't be an issue. 

Last summer, I installed the following: 

1x Unifi AP Outdoor+

2x UVC G3

2x UVC G3 Dome

1x Unifi NVR

1x Unifi Switch 8-150W

1x Unifi Cloud Key

The system worked great, and my only complaint was I was using all the ports on the switch (I should have opted for the 16 port). Over the winter I added a Unifi Security Gateway. 

Recently, we decided we wanted to add a camera on the detached garage, and in order to do that, I was looking at the best option. I thought maybe using the mesh gear, but ultimately after reading through the forum, I decided to go with an AirMax setup. I picked up (2) of the NanoStation 5AC loco from the Beta store, another UVC G3  camera, a UAP-AC-M, and a Unifi Switch 16-150W. 

The 16 Port switch replaced the 8 port in the rack, and I movd the 8 port to the garage. The old AP Outdoor moved to the garage to expand the network reach a bit more, and the UAP-AC-M went on the house. 

All in all, I think its a great system, and its been fun to use it as a playgroud with the different equipment. 

Basement RackBasement Rack

House Wifi/CameraHouse Wifi/Camera

IMG_2899.JPG

Garage AdditionGarage Addition

Garage SwitchGarage Switch

Comments
by
on ‎07-11-2017 03:54 PM

It's nice to see somebody else uses those weatherproof boxes for ethernet cables too! Smiley Very Happy

by
on ‎07-11-2017 10:58 PM

Install looks good, if possible Can I get the info or a link for the waterproof box used for the cables?

by
on ‎07-11-2017 11:16 PM

@Ctimrun Here's what I've used. There are other cover options out there that should function the same. 

Cover & Insert

@jndfx22 Yep! I couldn't think of a better way to do it, so that's what I went with. 

by
on ‎07-12-2017 07:21 AM

Great job on all of it! I am surprised you don't have a UPS connected to the garage switch. 

by
on ‎07-12-2017 09:09 AM

@verisarioc  Thanks! I do plan on putting a UPS out there, I ran out of time last weekend. Its currently on a Surge Outlet, so there is some protection on it, at least. 

by
on ‎07-13-2017 07:22 PM

Thanks dmxwidget!