Used Products
×6
×1
×1
×1
Third Ave, Eastchurch, Sheerness ME12 4JR, UK
Description

Right ...

This is a setup for a holiday home park on the Isle of Sheppey.

The whole thing started off as just one person was asking about getting internet in a static caravan as they is no supplier that could get 3G/4G signal to this area.

I started with using just 1 repeater on WDS and it worked great but I found very quickly the WPA password was given out to others and blocking mac address on a daily basis was not easy.

Next I replaced the WDS point with a few bits from EnGenuis (3 wifi points) and a UseMyNet router and this started off as a perfect setup for the few clients and was also cheap. This did not last long as with other people seeing the wifi network as they also wanted to use it.

After about a year the system was very slow from lack of power in the router and also the wifi was very unreliable as it needed to be reset upto 3 times aday!

I got the warden (not the owner) of the site to pay for a good quality setup from ubnt as I know the stuff just works!

We had a few hiccups on the way but it is now very rock solid and very fast.

We started off with replacing the usemynet router with a USG and a tough switch to run a vlan for the guest portal and the unifi software on a synology device that we found to be unreliable, but with a faster system and people wanting the internet the money came in to replace the old engenuis wifi parts for unifi mesh points and a nice new shiny cloudkey.

Once all the wifi points was switched over from the engunies to the unifi points I sold the tough switch on and purchased another mesh point to cover a current dead patch.

We are now at the stage of total coverage of the site with good speeds.

We have a hidden staff network with unlimited access and unlimited bandwidth and we have a guest network using the guest portal with the ticket system.

We have started to offer a router setup for clients so they can use a singal ticket and connect more then one device on the same ticket. The routers run DD-WRT and connect to the 5G network on the unifi and then have its own 2.4G SSID with WPA for the clients devices (eg - iphone, ipad, smart tv, laptop). This works great for the setup and the people on site love it.

Other people from other sites around have been asking for this but the coverage is not enough to reach and I cant just add a mesh point on a sister holiday home park.

As a test I have 3 friends on sister parks and I have setup a cheap outdoor tp-link point connected to a cheap tp-link router inside the holiday home and this is working great but still on the ticket system, I would like to move this over to a pppoe radius system but 2 things stop me. 1). I have never setup a radius system but I should be able to work it out and 2). taking a automatic payment from the client monthly or having to cut them off when they dont pay.

I still want to change 3 switches from other brands (1 x gigabit 8 port PoE netgear, 1 x gigabit tp-link 16 port, 1 x tender 5 port 10/100 PoE)

PoE Devices are: 7 Cameras, 1 Cloudkey, 3 Mesh points and other points are wireless uplinks with no cable route possible.

Any thoughts on anything I have setup or may have missed would be great.

IMG_20180618_222753.JPGThis was the first parts fitted

Image4.jpg

Image3.jpgCurrent hardware in use

Image2.jpg

IMG_20170714_212411.JPGFitting the PoE injector for D2

IMG_20170714_212216.JPGMe Fitting up point D2

IMG_20180208_100816.JPGThis is Point CH7

IMG_20170612_182950.JPG1 Unifi PoE 60W switch, 100mb over Coax converter and power for the PTZ camera and PoE for the static camera and mesh point

IMG_20180111_194637.PNGJust a quick speed test on my phone

IMG_20180117_133135.JPGA speed test on my laptop, we get 20mb up and 100mb down to share

IMG_20170620_142827.JPGThis is a bit of a mess but this is now cleaned up and the Tough switch has been removed all together and the ASUS router has been replaced with a Openreach modem (the ASUS was using in modem mode for the VDSL line) You can also see the TP-Link 16 port switch, The Synology for the CCTV and the 100mb ethernet to coax converter for the 150M cable run to the top of the site

IMG_20180624_152713.JPGUpdated photo of the USG, and open reach VDSL modem, and the cheap TP-Link gigabit switch

IMG_20180702_165144.JPGAnother mesh point (Orchard) with a Fosam camera.

Unifi for a holiday park on the Isle of Sheppey

by ‎06-18-2018 03:32 PM - edited ‎07-04-2018 11:59 PM

Right ...

This is a setup for a holiday home park on the Isle of Sheppey.

The whole thing started off as just one person was asking about getting internet in a static caravan as they is no supplier that could get 3G/4G signal to this area.

I started with using just 1 repeater on WDS and it worked great but I found very quickly the WPA password was given out to others and blocking mac address on a daily basis was not easy.

Next I replaced the WDS point with a few bits from EnGenuis (3 wifi points) and a UseMyNet router and this started off as a perfect setup for the few clients and was also cheap. This did not last long as with other people seeing the wifi network as they also wanted to use it.

After about a year the system was very slow from lack of power in the router and also the wifi was very unreliable as it needed to be reset upto 3 times aday!

I got the warden (not the owner) of the site to pay for a good quality setup from ubnt as I know the stuff just works!

We had a few hiccups on the way but it is now very rock solid and very fast.

We started off with replacing the usemynet router with a USG and a tough switch to run a vlan for the guest portal and the unifi software on a synology device that we found to be unreliable, but with a faster system and people wanting the internet the money came in to replace the old engenuis wifi parts for unifi mesh points and a nice new shiny cloudkey.

Once all the wifi points was switched over from the engunies to the unifi points I sold the tough switch on and purchased another mesh point to cover a current dead patch.

We are now at the stage of total coverage of the site with good speeds.

We have a hidden staff network with unlimited access and unlimited bandwidth and we have a guest network using the guest portal with the ticket system.

We have started to offer a router setup for clients so they can use a singal ticket and connect more then one device on the same ticket. The routers run DD-WRT and connect to the 5G network on the unifi and then have its own 2.4G SSID with WPA for the clients devices (eg - iphone, ipad, smart tv, laptop). This works great for the setup and the people on site love it.

Other people from other sites around have been asking for this but the coverage is not enough to reach and I cant just add a mesh point on a sister holiday home park.

As a test I have 3 friends on sister parks and I have setup a cheap outdoor tp-link point connected to a cheap tp-link router inside the holiday home and this is working great but still on the ticket system, I would like to move this over to a pppoe radius system but 2 things stop me. 1). I have never setup a radius system but I should be able to work it out and 2). taking a automatic payment from the client monthly or having to cut them off when they dont pay.

I still want to change 3 switches from other brands (1 x gigabit 8 port PoE netgear, 1 x gigabit tp-link 16 port, 1 x tender 5 port 10/100 PoE)

PoE Devices are: 7 Cameras, 1 Cloudkey, 3 Mesh points and other points are wireless uplinks with no cable route possible.

Any thoughts on anything I have setup or may have missed would be great.

IMG_20180618_222753.JPGThis was the first parts fitted

Image4.jpg

Image3.jpgCurrent hardware in use

Image2.jpg

IMG_20170714_212411.JPGFitting the PoE injector for D2

IMG_20170714_212216.JPGMe Fitting up point D2

IMG_20180208_100816.JPGThis is Point CH7

IMG_20170612_182950.JPG1 Unifi PoE 60W switch, 100mb over Coax converter and power for the PTZ camera and PoE for the static camera and mesh point

IMG_20180111_194637.PNGJust a quick speed test on my phone

IMG_20180117_133135.JPGA speed test on my laptop, we get 20mb up and 100mb down to share

IMG_20170620_142827.JPGThis is a bit of a mess but this is now cleaned up and the Tough switch has been removed all together and the ASUS router has been replaced with a Openreach modem (the ASUS was using in modem mode for the VDSL line) You can also see the TP-Link 16 port switch, The Synology for the CCTV and the 100mb ethernet to coax converter for the 150M cable run to the top of the site

IMG_20180624_152713.JPGUpdated photo of the USG, and open reach VDSL modem, and the cheap TP-Link gigabit switch

IMG_20180702_165144.JPGAnother mesh point (Orchard) with a Fosam camera.

{"location":{"title":"Third Ave, Eastchurch, Sheerness ME12 4JR, UK","placeId":"ChIJ3zPicxgs2UcRQe4NQv_kP5o"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":6},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"161863i23428D5310350AF3"}

Comments
by
on ‎06-19-2018 03:22 AM

good work =D 

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎06-19-2018 10:16 AM

Nice setup!

by
on ‎06-19-2018 10:18 AM

Thanks, When the winds dies down a bit I will see about getting some more pictures or a video with the drone.

by
on ‎06-20-2018 03:31 AM

Taking in account that there was no good mobile internet, you've done something really good for people)

by
on ‎06-21-2018 03:41 AM

Nice setup, Whats the coverage like in the static homes? And are you using the mesh wireless or are they cabled?

by
on ‎06-21-2018 03:54 AM

The coverage is great for the site and inside the holiday homes too, there is a few low points still but no dead patches that I have found or that my attention has been pulled to as yet.

3 Points are cabled in the others are meshed wirelesses and it been pretty good, the latest firmware is a bit funny with the meshing (wireless uplink as its called) so I've kept away from it at the moment.

I have about 150-160 meters cable run to the top of the site and this had to be done over coax cable as cat 6 may of worked but it is out of specification and I found some good ethernet over cat converters on ebay for just 70 GBP the pair.

by
on ‎06-21-2018 04:12 AM

Is the Ethernet over coax gigabit and reliable? I have never used one before

Have had issues with latest firmware and meshing myself.

by
on ‎06-21-2018 05:31 AM

The ethernet to coax have been rock solid, I have never used them before but I needed a cheap solution.

So I did some home work and highwire was the only ones that stated "Full 100 Base-T Ethernet performance" where others would be limited to 3mb or something stupid as they are made for old CCTV systems to be upgraded to full IP cameras. I am running 2 IP cameras on it and also 1 of the mesh points and I can get about 90mb download via wifi, I keep saying to myself I should do a speedtest on them, but I keep forgetting as they work so well you forget they are there!

by
on ‎06-25-2018 03:46 AM

Nice work.

Maybe you could considered using an Airmax Point to Point/Point to Multi Point to link up other site/s to your existing setup..

by
on ‎06-26-2018 09:21 AM

What a great idea, so basic and I didnt think of it.

I guess thats because I didnt set this up to be a WISP and thats what I guess it is when its using a router at the clients end.

What to use is the question as I have not used anything but the unifi gear at the moment.

The current longest connect is just over 100 meters, but if I was going to do a P2P/P2MP setup I would like to put the master point as high as I can get it, this would increase the longest link to 150 meters.

Can I ask what you would recommend without breaking the bank for current 3 links but we would like to expand.