a month ago
Updated Home Network and experiences to share.
Used Products
×1
Description

I have been using Unifi gear for a number of years now.  My home network always had unifi something or other, but I finally bit the bullet and did a full hardware update.  My network now consists of the following:

Gigabit internet courtesy of Comcast

USG Pro (man I really with there had been something new to buy here at wasn't equal to my entire project budget)

USW-PRO-24-BETA  - this was to replace my 8 year old US-16-150W

UAS-XG - I will get to this in a minute.  I feel like my use case for this server is something Ubiquiti should think about selling it for.

2 X UAP-NanoHD - this was to replace my 8 year old UAP-AC-Lite(s) 

I mounted the gear in a 6U rack from tripp Lite.  Here is a link for reference.

Now, the UAS-XG.  I am NOT using it with the stock software.  It is a very nice little 1U SuperMicro server that works perfectly fine with other operating systems and setups.  I am running it with proxmox so that I can run ZFS and containers.  I am running 5 LXC containers, one of which does happen to be the unifi controller.  I also upgraded the two drives to 6Tb Western Digital REDs.  Everybody has their own opinions and experiences with drives.  Your mileage may vary.  I am using an APC Smart-UPS 1500 that I got for free.  I have the USB cable hooked to the UAS-XG and apcupsd running to shut down the containers and server during a power outage.

I was able to get rid of a very old Dell T320 that was doing the same job.  My power consumption has dropped quite a lot, and everything fits nicely in my one rack.  The only bummer is Ubiquiti refuses to help control the front LED, so I just removed the LED module and I'm ok with it.

The other thing I wanted to mention was web filtering.  I have my network set up with 3 VLANs.  One for my servers and iot equipment, one for my kids, and one for the adults.  I am using a very simple json file to force dns from the three seperate VLANS to their respective mandatory dns addresses.  For filtering I am working witha company called dnsfilter.

They are not paying me to write this down or anything, but I felt like sharing.  Their dns servers in my experience are very fast.  Filtering is very customizable, and for me it is working great.  Pricing seems very reasonable to me as well.  So far with my busy network (there are usually 14 devices on my wireless) hasn't cost me more than $5 a month.  Again, your mileage may vary. 

I would be happy to share more with anyone that is interested.

I am not running IPS or IDS, but with those things off the USG Pro has no problem keeping up with the gigabit connection.

Thanks for checing out my network.  I am a very satisfied Unifi customer, and I am hoping by sharing my experiences others may benefit.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

Updated Home Network and experiences to share.

by a month ago

I have been using Unifi gear for a number of years now.  My home network always had unifi something or other, but I finally bit the bullet and did a full hardware update.  My network now consists of the following:

Gigabit internet courtesy of Comcast

USG Pro (man I really with there had been something new to buy here at wasn't equal to my entire project budget)

USW-PRO-24-BETA  - this was to replace my 8 year old US-16-150W

UAS-XG - I will get to this in a minute.  I feel like my use case for this server is something Ubiquiti should think about selling it for.

2 X UAP-NanoHD - this was to replace my 8 year old UAP-AC-Lite(s) 

I mounted the gear in a 6U rack from tripp Lite.  Here is a link for reference.

Now, the UAS-XG.  I am NOT using it with the stock software.  It is a very nice little 1U SuperMicro server that works perfectly fine with other operating systems and setups.  I am running it with proxmox so that I can run ZFS and containers.  I am running 5 LXC containers, one of which does happen to be the unifi controller.  I also upgraded the two drives to 6Tb Western Digital REDs.  Everybody has their own opinions and experiences with drives.  Your mileage may vary.  I am using an APC Smart-UPS 1500 that I got for free.  I have the USB cable hooked to the UAS-XG and apcupsd running to shut down the containers and server during a power outage.

I was able to get rid of a very old Dell T320 that was doing the same job.  My power consumption has dropped quite a lot, and everything fits nicely in my one rack.  The only bummer is Ubiquiti refuses to help control the front LED, so I just removed the LED module and I'm ok with it.

The other thing I wanted to mention was web filtering.  I have my network set up with 3 VLANs.  One for my servers and iot equipment, one for my kids, and one for the adults.  I am using a very simple json file to force dns from the three seperate VLANS to their respective mandatory dns addresses.  For filtering I am working witha company called dnsfilter.

They are not paying me to write this down or anything, but I felt like sharing.  Their dns servers in my experience are very fast.  Filtering is very customizable, and for me it is working great.  Pricing seems very reasonable to me as well.  So far with my busy network (there are usually 14 devices on my wireless) hasn't cost me more than $5 a month.  Again, your mileage may vary. 

I would be happy to share more with anyone that is interested.

I am not running IPS or IDS, but with those things off the USG Pro has no problem keeping up with the gigabit connection.

Thanks for checing out my network.  I am a very satisfied Unifi customer, and I am hoping by sharing my experiences others may benefit.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Visalia, CA, USA","placeId":"ChIJKYfr04LYlIARDkgLAe7jklU"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-application-server","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"199728i82B61818747C17B3"}

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Nice set up.  Wish I could get gigabit.  I'm lucky if I get 100 up and 13 down.

I like that little rack,

by
2 weeks ago

I'd love to hear more about what you are using the UAS-XG for.  What types of VMs are you running?

I just can't figure out what I'd need that for in my own home network.  So I'm just curious about what you are using it for.

by
a week ago

Great question gdsmit1.  I store around 2TB of movies on the server.  I also run the folliwing containers:

Proxmox as my hypervisor (this is so I can use ZFS for stor

Unifi Controller

SimpleHelp (this is a remote support server like teamviwer)

Plex

File Server (this is a custom debian server)

Openvpn AS Server

Let me know if you have any more questions or curiosities.  It is a great little 1U server that fits the look and feel of the rack.  It is very quiet too.  The original fans (which I have swapped out) in the USG Pro are louder than the server.

by
yesterday

Great config. I also feel it is a requirement to separate IoT devices from a regular network. So I have separate Vlans for that, and my guest network (also secured) Unfortunately I don't have Gig speed. Thanks for sharing your setup.