03/27/2018
WiFi for the back yard
Reason for Installation
The interior of my home has excellent WiFi coverage but the connection quality in the back yard quickly falls off. My interior APs end up in a shouting match with my neighbors' networks so cell phones lose connection and WiFi speakers cut in and out. I decided to try out a Mesh AP and my project grew from there.
Used Products
×1
Description

I chose not to use the UAP-AC-Mesh as a mesh device, it is directly wired to my network.  The run is less than 100m but I used fiber because I live in the lightning strike capital of the US.  Ethernet surge devices should protect my equipment but for a little more money fiber is sure to keep me safe.

The UAP-AC-Mesh is outdoor rated but not very tamper-resistant.  My equipment is only 7 feet off the ground and I'm paranoid so I put it and the Fiber to PoE inside a BUD Industries NBF-32316 NEMA box.  If you're looking to weatherproof something this box is great, easy to drill into and the holes can be quickly cleaned up with a razor blade.  The backing plate comes separate.

IMG_20180128_105320086.jpg

I used RP-SMA Female Bulkhead connectors with RP-SMA male cables to relocate the antennas, a 2-pin panel mount connector for a power plug, and a coax bulkhead to have an available TV connection.

IMG_20180128_105512128.jpg

It's all overkill but if I'm going to put the work in why not have fun and learn a thing or two?Screenshot_20171203-112438.png2.4 GHz before Mesh AP installI don't have a WiFi signal screenshot for the post-install, but I set my Mesh AP's power to medium out of respect for my neighbors.  I don't need to blast my signal into their living rooms.IMG_20180217_144700581_HDR.jpg

Thanks for reading!

WiFi for the back yard

by on ‎03-27-2018 07:12 PM

I chose not to use the UAP-AC-Mesh as a mesh device, it is directly wired to my network.  The run is less than 100m but I used fiber because I live in the lightning strike capital of the US.  Ethernet surge devices should protect my equipment but for a little more money fiber is sure to keep me safe.

The UAP-AC-Mesh is outdoor rated but not very tamper-resistant.  My equipment is only 7 feet off the ground and I'm paranoid so I put it and the Fiber to PoE inside a BUD Industries NBF-32316 NEMA box.  If you're looking to weatherproof something this box is great, easy to drill into and the holes can be quickly cleaned up with a razor blade.  The backing plate comes separate.

IMG_20180128_105320086.jpg

I used RP-SMA Female Bulkhead connectors with RP-SMA male cables to relocate the antennas, a 2-pin panel mount connector for a power plug, and a coax bulkhead to have an available TV connection.

IMG_20180128_105512128.jpg

It's all overkill but if I'm going to put the work in why not have fun and learn a thing or two?Screenshot_20171203-112438.png2.4 GHz before Mesh AP installI don't have a WiFi signal screenshot for the post-install, but I set my Mesh AP's power to medium out of respect for my neighbors.  I don't need to blast my signal into their living rooms.IMG_20180217_144700581_HDR.jpg

Thanks for reading!

{"location":{"title":"Winter Park, FL 32792, USA","placeId":"ChIJXUtssMpv54gReajTeQkxst8"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"The interior of my home has excellent WiFi coverage but the connection quality in the back yard quickly falls off. My interior APs end up in a shouting match with my neighbors' networks so cell phones lose connection and WiFi speakers cut in and out. I decided to try out a Mesh AP and my project grew from there.","mainImage":"149702i07C78BE41DF6C5CB"}

Comments
by
on ‎03-27-2018 08:07 PM

I always have a soft spot for a NEMA box project as many years ago when you couldn't buy the kit we can today I took apart internal wifi AP's and mounted the boards with external antennas in these boxes to get them weatherproof and up on masts where they had greater effect.

by
on ‎03-28-2018 05:30 AM

good day

great install where did you get the antenna extension cables

by
on ‎03-28-2018 07:40 AM

Very nice!  like you, I have mine direct wired and when I go outside things just work.  I am not in an active lightining area but I have through about the same things, so I mounted mine ~ 10 feet lower then I wanted to, so it would not the the tallest item out there.

I as well as others want UBNT to have the ability to lock down the switch port to MAC address, so no one can just connect and go.   I also would like to help prevent the mesh from "walking away".  great idea and pic's.  I may have to give it a try.

by
on ‎03-28-2018 08:50 AM

how are you powering the unit 

by
on ‎03-28-2018 02:53 PM

Looks like it's being powered with a DC power supply. the fiber to PoE adapter is capable of converting that to 24V passive or PoE+ depending on the setup. 

Nice job.

by
on ‎03-28-2018 03:26 PM

@awireless I got the antenna extension cables here: https://www.data-alliance.net/rp-sma-extension-cables/ I used some plastic washers as a standoff because the depth of the antenna threads were not the same as the cables.

I am powering powering the Fiber to PoE unit with a Mean Well HLG-60H-24 http://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=268 It provides more amps than necessary, but the HLG line seems to be very solid.  The Fiber to PoE then provides passive 24V to the Mesh AP as @esloyer mentioned.  I soldered a waterproof plug to the DC end of the power supply for a quick disconnect to the exterior of the box.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/331815372597

by
on ‎03-29-2018 05:44 AM

thank you 

by
on ‎03-29-2018 11:33 AM

Very cool project.  Why did you use fiber and a converter rather than just running PoE from your switch in the house?  Lightning protection?  Fun factor?  I definitely get the fun factor angle haha!

@Alex-  this is possible, at least on the EdgeSwitch, under the Switching > Port Security menu.  Just remember you need the MAC of the AP as well as any authorized WiFi devices that connect to the AP.  You can just take a look under System > Summary > MAC Address Table to see what devices you need in your list. The Dynamic MAC section is probably easier to use in this regard.  See the admin guide starting on page 172 for more info https://www.ubnt.com/downloads/guides/edgemax/EdgeSwitch_AdminGuide.pdf.

I don't know much about UniFi switches, they don't expose many configuration options in the UniFi Controller web GUI in my experience, but I've heard you can change more settings by making custom json files in the CLI directly on the switch, although I think you have to reload that file every time the switch reboots, or maybe every FW upgrade?  There are probably people in the UniFi routing/switching section that know more about this than I do.

by
on ‎03-29-2018 01:49 PM

I would also like to know why you went fiber instead of PoE Man Happy

-Jamie M.

by
on ‎03-29-2018 03:35 PM

I think he said for lighting isolation and for the fun of it.