Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

WiFi with UniFi for Hotel Boutique el Tiburon. Torremolinos. Malaga. Spain

by on ‎08-06-2017 04:17 AM

Hi Friends!

At WiFi Solutions® we provide indoor WiFi service mainly to hospitality customers in Málaga, south Spain. As well, we provide certified PC and Mac repair service to hotels who need their computer running 24x365.

In this case, Hotel Boutique el Tiburon, located in Torremolinos, Málaga (south Spain), with 48 rooms, asked me in april to solve some printing issues, and do a whole start setup of their new computers of reception, accounts and administration. The hotel seemed to be refurbished and it was administrated by a new director.

When I entered the first time to the lobby, while I had to wait for the first meeting with the director, the first thing I did is to look for any UniFi device ( sorry, it´s an insane and weird habit, I know) What a great looking hotel… UniFi would match nice here… and they have to wireless networks… well…

General views from outside - insideGeneral views from outside - inside

After fixing the minor computer issues and insist for a whole local and cloud backup plan, a few days later  I was asked by the director about the WiFi, which was installed a few weeks ago before my first meeting. They had some rooms with weak WiFi reception, low speed with clients´ complaints at the front desk.

I did a visual check with the director, and after asking the WiFi password, with the help Fing´s app discovery, I was able to discover 9 Ubnt devices…. but where they were placed? They just showed me the rack, I saw a CK connected to an neutral routing acting as DHCP server and two AC Pros mounted like this at the restaurant. The other ones were randomly placed in the corridors, the others left were inside the false roof.

001 (Medium).JPG002 (Medium).JPG

Yes! This is how you plan a WiFi hotel install. AC Pros with old CAT5 cable and plastic soho switches of 3€ and no previous site survey. After watching this I felt very sorry for the hotel and told them to ask the people who did that install to fix it, bad coverage and bottlenecks were often when the hotel was full or some one tried to watch a video on Youtube and the other device wanted to send an email or a whatsapp text. The director didn´t understand why the WiFi was not working, having a throughpout of two lines of 500Mbps/500Mbps and they already paid like 3000€ for the WiFi install.

I was reported as well that some guest went to the front desk warnning about their network security, from WiFi guests were able to see server's shared folders and other shared devices as director's network printer!

The director called the company who made the installs, they came after several calls and activated hotspot of the Cloud Key for a few weeks… obviously that was not the solution and it didn´t work…

The other company said that all the UAP seemed as “connected” in the controller and  “blue” light was blue, not flashing, so the service was running fine…and they did a lot a install in large homes and they never had any problem with UniFi… I see…

Finally the director asked me to take the control of their network and do my best to offer a good WiFi service to customers, stable and with connectivity ensured everywhere. Director´s word: “We want to give our guests the best service, our average rate is more expensive than other hotels in the area, Do whatever you need to fix it… and well, we have some "routers" of the previous install, if you want to use them".

Previous "routers" :PPrevious "routers" Man Tongue

After gainning acces to the UniFi Cloud Key and the main router I saw what I assumed: all UAP with dynamic IP, settings in auto…channel overlapping.. no QoS…bad UAP placement... mix of UAP AC Lite and AC-PROs... 60% of them not wired.. ( wireless uplink used to avoid cable passing)... no LAN separation...

Hardware upgrade:

-  Remove 3 UniFi AC LITE, and keep only one for the accounting area.

-  7 UAP AC PRO extra.

- 10 UAP AC LR extra for indoor corridors.

- 1 UniFi 16 150W Switch.

- 1 UniFi AC Mesh ( another one will be installed soon).

- 610 meters of UniFi CAT 6 cable. ( They used the old 7 years UTP CAT5 cable).

- Routing: we used their main router for VLAN and QoS. VLAN 1 - Corporate Network - VLAN 2 - Client´s WiFi.

Pictures:

UAP AC LR with AC M and UniFi Cloud Key being prepared....UAP AC LR with AC M and UniFi Cloud Key being prepared....006 (Medium).jpgUFO mode :)UFO mode Man HappyFront Desk :)Front Desk Man HappyUniFi CAT6 Cable X 2UniFi CAT6 Cable X 2Cables and more cables... no more wireless uplinks… Replacing all the old CAT5 and CAT5E cable found from first installCables and more cables... no more wireless uplinks… Replacing all the old CAT5 and CAT5E cable found from first installInside corridorInside corridorAnother long corridor ...Another long corridor ...UAP AC LR covering 3 roomsUAP AC LR covering 3 roomsNice and clean...Nice and clean...Room View...Room View...Coffe Break....Cheers to all the Ubnt Community! Time to relax with a great coffe...Coffe Break....Cheers to all the Ubnt Community! Time to relax with a great coffe...Coffe break without good WiFi? No more... Restaurante now covered with good WiFiCoffe break without good WiFi? No more... Restaurante now covered with good WiFiLet´s play with PROs...Let´s play with PROs...WiFi Solutions at work.. adopting...WiFi Solutions at work.. adopting...This is where you belong AC PRO...This is where you belong AC PRO...Accounting area now has WiFi as well... reusing one of the AC Lites...Accounting area now has WiFi as well... reusing one of the AC Lites...10Mbps/10Mpbs per device. After 101 devices at same time, speed drops to 5Mbps/5Mbps per device...10Mbps/10Mpbs per device. After 101 devices at same time, speed drops to 5Mbps/5Mbps per device...Spot the outdoor device...Spot the outdoor device...After 11 days data...not bad!After 11 days data...not bad!UniFi 16 150 Switch features...UniFi 16 150 Switch features...Real Booking.com reviews after upgrade :)Real Booking.com reviews after upgrade Man HappySwimming Pool area at night 1Swimming Pool area at night 1Swimming Pool area at night 2Swimming Pool area at night 2

I see these things happen often, even in large hotels. "Professional" self called people who don't know the basics of WLAN design and leave the install with the default config, all channels on Auto and set to High or abusing the "wireless uplink" feature. At the end owners end up assuming it's the manufacturer's fault.

As you see the UniFi AC - well installed and configured, 14 units more at the end - was again the best solution for this scenario. This was my chance to install and try the UniFi AC-IW but there was no communication between the main rack to the rooms. Hope you enjoyed our upgrade story!

Follow us for more stories related: https://www.facebook.com/wifisolutions.es

Hotel Tiburon Boutique web: https://hoteleltiburon.com/

Thank you friends! Muchas gracias!

Regards from Málaga, Spain.

Vijay - WiFi Solutions

Comments
by
on ‎08-06-2017 09:08 AM

Wow, this goes to show the right setup is just as important as the right equipment!

Even amazing Unifi can look bad with a junk install.....

Good work!

by
‎08-06-2017 09:23 AM - edited ‎08-06-2017 09:24 AM

Thanks for your comments @alexchalet! So true!

Mad2

Regards

by
on ‎08-06-2017 11:03 AM

Great installation, looks amazing in this environment!

How did you implement this: "10Mbps/10Mpbs per device. After 101 devices at same time, speed drops to 5Mbps/5Mbps per device..."? Sounds very interesting. 

by
on ‎08-07-2017 04:32 AM

I'm also curious how did you implement the after 101 devices at the same time 5/5Mbps rule.

Also in regards to bad WiFi installs, I've been at both ends. I've been forced by the client to reduce the size of the install for budget reasons, and have been called to solve wifi problems that had too little equipment. Some times the only fault on the installer is that he didn't stand his/her ground on what is needed in face of lowering budgets.

Great install Man Happy

by
on ‎08-07-2017 05:59 AM

Unifi Cat6 Cables?  It's something new?

by
‎08-07-2017 11:19 AM - edited ‎08-08-2017 08:29 AM

@pandorrahttps://community.ubnt.com/t5/Upcoming-Products/Ubiquiti-selling-indoor-Cat6-cable/td-p/1744727

I don't know why anybody is using this cable - it is unshielded, solid copper (which means for me - not really crimpable) and expensive?!

Anyway - really great install!

I am also excited how you implemented the "after 101 devices at the same time 5/5Mbps" rule, please share this secret with us...

by
on ‎08-07-2017 11:52 PM

To be a little bit of a devils advocate... It is a thing for a lot of users unifi is attracting how stupid the auto settings areMan Tongue

Also, i would have left the Cat5E it is suitable for 1GB and replacing doesnt really add value to the setup (low quality cat5 has to go though), We even had a few customer office locations (like 4 floors / 400 patch points) with high quality cat5 install's that even certified for Cat5e.

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎08-08-2017 05:44 AM

Welldone & thank you for posting!

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎08-09-2017 11:02 AM

Beautiful set up and great pictures and storytelling! Enjoyed seeing this, thanks for sharing @wifisolutionsES!

by
on ‎08-09-2017 02:48 PM

Thanks @UBNT-AlexCaldas and @UBNT-Warren! Great you enjoyed the story!

Will write soon the same story in spanish for the LATAM community!

Thank you. Muchas gracias!