Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

10/11/2017
Wifi Club using Unifi
Description

Working in a 24 hour facilty that initially had  only "Official Workplace internet" available at a PC, we got permission to create a wifi club for our phones / tablets / laptops.  As our club grew in size (geographically within the building) we were not allowed to run any network cables. We outgrew the original SOHO router we started with so it was time to "grow up".  Started with a USG 3P and a UAP-AC-M... now we are up to 5 AC-M. Service is provided via cablem modem on a 50 down / 10 up plan (which is over provisioned to 60/12).Working in a 24 hour facilty that initially had only "Official Workplace internet" available at a PC, we got permission to create a wifi club for our phones / tablets / laptops. As our club grew in size (geographically within the building) we were not allowed to run any network cables. We outgrew the original SOHO router we started with so it was time to "grow up". Started with a USG 3P and a UAP-AC-M... now we are up to 5 AC-M. Service is provided via cablem modem on a 50 down / 10 up plan (which is over provisioned to 60/12).Cable Modem / USG / UAP-AC-M . This acts a the wireless uplink to the remaining 4 UAP-AC-M. Everything was mounted using Command Strip version of velcro (no holes allowed...)Cable Modem / USG / UAP-AC-M . This acts a the wireless uplink to the remaining 4 UAP-AC-M. Everything was mounted using Command Strip version of velcro (no holes allowed...)UAP-AC-M on the East half of the main room, mounted with the POE injector, wireless uplinked.  This is a 10 foot ceiling, and after trying the "Y" antenna placement, the antennas weren't quite able to "see" over the TVs and caused the devices in this location to connect to the next AP approx 80 feet away. Moving this Mesh AP as high as possible and giving the antenna the 90 degree turn, gave us the best results for this location.UAP-AC-M on the East half of the main room, mounted with the POE injector, wireless uplinked. This is a 10 foot ceiling, and after trying the "Y" antenna placement, the antennas weren't quite able to "see" over the TVs and caused the devices in this location to connect to the next AP approx 80 feet away. Moving this Mesh AP as high as possible and giving the antenna the 90 degree turn, gave us the best results for this location.Peek-a-boo I see you. A flat screen with rabbit ears?  This UAP-AC-M is a 2nd hop (East to South to Node) and has about a 40 mbs (of the 60 mbs)Peek-a-boo I see you. A flat screen with rabbit ears? This UAP-AC-M is a 2nd hop (East to South to Node) and has about a 40 mbs (of the 60 mbs)I managed to find an old floor plan to give a lay of the land.  This  floorplan is approx 1/4 of "width"(left to right) of the entire floor, with other offices occupying the spaces to the right.   Most of the rooms are in the same placement but the furnishing looks nothing like this. The remaining two UAP-AC-M are in offices that I don't have access to at this time (since I work nights...)I managed to find an old floor plan to give a lay of the land. This floorplan is approx 1/4 of "width"(left to right) of the entire floor, with other offices occupying the spaces to the right. Most of the rooms are in the same placement but the furnishing looks nothing like this. The remaining two UAP-AC-M are in offices that I don't have access to at this time (since I work nights...)For the cable modem / USG 3p / UAP-AC-M (node) - APC Back-UPS Lithium ion UPS selected for its form factor to fit in the available space.For the cable modem / USG 3p / UAP-AC-M (node) - APC Back-UPS Lithium ion UPS selected for its form factor to fit in the available space.

Comments
by
on ‎10-11-2017 04:05 AM

@MooseTurd  is that a occ?

by
on ‎10-11-2017 01:46 PM

@brycewI'm going to say no ... but my first question would be... What is an OCC? (I'm guessing something fiber related?  I'm not a networking person by trade or hobby, I believe it was a youtube video that turned me on to Unifi, followed these forums to try to soak in some of UBNT's offerings). 

If its the picture of the overhead mounting, the spaghetti mess consists of cable tv (and DTA box for each TV), and a ethernet to VGA, then VGA to RCA connectors so we can mirror a selected workstation overhead.  At this time it used mostly to observe our camera system.

by
on ‎10-11-2017 06:02 PM

@MooseTurd OCC is a emergency services dispatch centre. The layout of the desks/tvs had me wondering.

by
‎10-11-2017 08:06 PM - edited ‎10-11-2017 08:09 PM

In that case you hit the nail on the head, we handle local level radio communications and call center. As connected as we were to everything happing in our jurisdiction, we were usually last to know of events occuring in the remainder of the world.  We made the arguement that for information purposes, and access to things like skype / facetime was a morale benefit to our staffers.  The final nod of approval was when near by construction cut our fiber lines into our building (our direct operations weren't impacted as our critical servers are housed with us,  but secondary resources such as web based application and just plain google search for other resource's phone numbers), so our cable modem / wifi club served as a backup till repairs could be complete (3 days later...)