Thursday
XG BaseStation Outdoor UAP - remarkable distance for WiFi - usable out to 2000 feet
Used Products
×1
Description

This was first posted in March during Alpha testing, but I thought it would be of interest to those people looking to do very far distance WiFi - and yes 2000 feet (600 meters) is actually possible to a smartphone at those kinds of distances  ;-)   For those people who don't know about this new UniFi Access Point the info is here on UBNT's web site  https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-wifi-basestation-xg/

I needed to define the limits of what we can expect for distance with the BaseStation farther than the 450 feet I originally tested to  ( https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/New-XG-BaseStation-UAP/cns-p/2349854 ), so I set one up on my back deck where I can aim it down through the neighbor's back yards and across an empty lot out to 2000 feet distance.   Here's the viewStadoumTestPath.jpg

It's connected through a USG-4 to my ComCast connection (long story why it's not on our network... :-(  so I could do actual speedtest.net tests - I'm more interested in actual customer throughput/experience than in signal levels for this test.   TheXG was set on channels 38, 102 and 159 - the smartphome mostly used 38 and 159 during the test ( I just let it select what it wanted like a real user),  the power was set to High, which gives a EIRP of +36 dBm for UNII1 and 3, +30 for DFS.   Antenna beam width was set to wide.

Initial test to 20 feet in front of the UAP, but 10 feet below it (typical of an outdoor pole install),testing on my Samsung S8+  out to the Internet gets right at 200Mb (Comcast max here).    Next, just across the large street to the South beyond the neighbor's houses (you can see the power pole in the middle of the picture above) at 490 feet,  gave me 179 Mb download (average of 3 tests).    

Going farther  out into the large open field, at 750 feet  (here's a photo looking back at the radio)StadoumTestPath750.jpg

I got 150Mb download (I'm not quoting upload because the Comcast circuit where I am tops out on my wired network at 6-7Mb - gotta love Comcast...) through bare trees and some clutter in the yards - you can't even make out the large solar panel (SolarBeam) right next to the BaseStation on the deck...

THe next photo is at 1500 feetStadouimTestPath1500.jpg

THe download here was right at 98Mb - loosing some throughput but still pretty impressive for over a quarter mile at 5GHz.   Probably Fresnel Zone issues too.

Last test was at 2000 feetStadiumTestPath2000.jpg

Throughput wasn't good here, topping out around 50Mb, but the radio was downtilted a good deal so this is probably below the upper beam horizon at this point, since the ground rises a little.   But 50Mb in a TCP test to the Internet is still remarkable at this distance (600 meters)

So I'm feeling very comfortable using these out to at least 750 feet, with fringes double that if needed.   Pretty amazing for a WiFi AP really...

Jim

XG BaseStation Outdoor UAP - remarkable distance for WiFi - usable out to 2000 feet

by Thursday - last edited Thursday

This was first posted in March during Alpha testing, but I thought it would be of interest to those people looking to do very far distance WiFi - and yes 2000 feet (600 meters) is actually possible to a smartphone at those kinds of distances  ;-)   For those people who don't know about this new UniFi Access Point the info is here on UBNT's web site  https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-wifi-basestation-xg/

I needed to define the limits of what we can expect for distance with the BaseStation farther than the 450 feet I originally tested to  ( https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/New-XG-BaseStation-UAP/cns-p/2349854 ), so I set one up on my back deck where I can aim it down through the neighbor's back yards and across an empty lot out to 2000 feet distance.   Here's the viewStadoumTestPath.jpg

It's connected through a USG-4 to my ComCast connection (long story why it's not on our network... :-(  so I could do actual speedtest.net tests - I'm more interested in actual customer throughput/experience than in signal levels for this test.   TheXG was set on channels 38, 102 and 159 - the smartphome mostly used 38 and 159 during the test ( I just let it select what it wanted like a real user),  the power was set to High, which gives a EIRP of +36 dBm for UNII1 and 3, +30 for DFS.   Antenna beam width was set to wide.

Initial test to 20 feet in front of the UAP, but 10 feet below it (typical of an outdoor pole install),testing on my Samsung S8+  out to the Internet gets right at 200Mb (Comcast max here).    Next, just across the large street to the South beyond the neighbor's houses (you can see the power pole in the middle of the picture above) at 490 feet,  gave me 179 Mb download (average of 3 tests).    

Going farther  out into the large open field, at 750 feet  (here's a photo looking back at the radio)StadoumTestPath750.jpg

I got 150Mb download (I'm not quoting upload because the Comcast circuit where I am tops out on my wired network at 6-7Mb - gotta love Comcast...) through bare trees and some clutter in the yards - you can't even make out the large solar panel (SolarBeam) right next to the BaseStation on the deck...

THe next photo is at 1500 feetStadouimTestPath1500.jpg

THe download here was right at 98Mb - loosing some throughput but still pretty impressive for over a quarter mile at 5GHz.   Probably Fresnel Zone issues too.

Last test was at 2000 feetStadiumTestPath2000.jpg

Throughput wasn't good here, topping out around 50Mb, but the radio was downtilted a good deal so this is probably below the upper beam horizon at this point, since the ground rises a little.   But 50Mb in a TCP test to the Internet is still remarkable at this distance (600 meters)

So I'm feeling very comfortable using these out to at least 750 feet, with fringes double that if needed.   Pretty amazing for a WiFi AP really...

Jim

{"location":{"title":"Denver, CO, USA","placeId":"ChIJzxcfI6qAa4cR1jaKJ_j0jhE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"directional-dual-band-antenna-for-uap-ac-m","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"161305iFE090D53B13186DA"}

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Comments
by Ubiquiti Employee
Thursday

Very cool stuff.

by
Thursday

Great post! Its incredible it can go that far and still have that good of a throughput. Those devices will be underpriced for sure if they are less than $1k. 

by
Monday

Simply blown away by the performance of this thing!!! And the RGB led makes every better obviously... Lol

by
yesterday

great and good performance , i really would like to see high density tests out there , a test for about 700 clients will be impressive , but i doubt any one can get that soon ( may be in russia worl cup 2018 may be )