home network 2.0
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

Hi,

we rebuild our home network infrastructure during the renovation of our house.
Currently we're using the following products.

1x UniFi Security Gateway 3 (Router/Firewall)
1x UniFi Switch 24 (Managed Core Switch)
1x UniFi AP-AC-Pro (Wireless Access Point) - will add another AP later
1x Unifi Switch 8 (Managed Switch for testing purposes)

The inwall cabling was done with Cat 7 cable and 6a network sockets.
The Unifi Controller is installed on a Debian based virtual machine.

You could find some pics below.

DSC09709.JPG

Patchfeld_03.JPG

DSC09702.JPG

DSC09705.JPG

DSC09699.JPG

DSC09707.JPG

home network 2.0

by 3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi,

we rebuild our home network infrastructure during the renovation of our house.
Currently we're using the following products.

1x UniFi Security Gateway 3 (Router/Firewall)
1x UniFi Switch 24 (Managed Core Switch)
1x UniFi AP-AC-Pro (Wireless Access Point) - will add another AP later
1x Unifi Switch 8 (Managed Switch for testing purposes)

The inwall cabling was done with Cat 7 cable and 6a network sockets.
The Unifi Controller is installed on a Debian based virtual machine.

You could find some pics below.

DSC09709.JPG

Patchfeld_03.JPG

DSC09702.JPG

DSC09705.JPG

DSC09699.JPG

DSC09707.JPG

{"location":{"title":"Thüringen, Deutschland","placeId":"ChIJk_E62n8PpEcR0Hk0dMGOIAE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-24","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"188283iFDB93307D924941A"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Nice project. Are you going to add more AP's ? If so I'd like to say that I'd used an in wall AP (UAP-AC-IW) where you have the current AP. Then you can use the installed AP as the next AP. The IW result in a nice clean install in places as the one you have installed (no cables after the socket etc) and does also have a VLAN switch built in and the coverage is suprisingly good too. That's my experience of the AC-IW anyway. I thought that it would have a lot less coverage since I thought that it was mainy designed to use in hotel rooms.

(There is two AC models of the IW and the HD might be more suitable if you need the 3X3 MIMO as the Pro has.)

by
3 weeks ago

Looks nice but no usv is visible...Guessing u‘re not a Professional?

by
3 weeks ago

Hi,

thanks for your reply and many thanks to Ubiquiti for there nice products.

@rdahlin: many thanks for your feedback, it is correct that we plan to add more AP's. I'll check if the IW accesspoints might be an option for the expansion of my wireless infrastructure. We also plan to deploy WLAN to the garden, therefore thought about the meshpoints.

@zobelschnopf: correct, the UPS is currently missing, it is planned for the future.

Thanks &  best,

Michael

by
2 weeks ago

Nice project.

Here's my 2 thaughts:

I'm guessing that FritzBox is working as a DECT base, since other than that it would be intirely obsolete.

Placing it outside of that Faraday cage might increase range and/or decrease radio power.

The IW APs are nice, but they seem to be meant primarily as a replacement for american in-wall sockets. Those have a completely different form factor than the german in-wall socket dimensions, as can be seen in picture 4. A second disadvantage is they have an ethernet socket on their back for uplink. That might be a problem if the wall seen in that picture is not a dry wall, since it still needs a socket in the wall to plug a patch cable into.

by
2 weeks ago

Regarding the IW they work perfectly with the wall boxes that you use when installing electrical wiring in Sweden and I think atleast that the same is used in manu european countries.

AU6-2_M2.gif

279324_1_812.jpg

by
2 weeks ago

Hi guys

thanks again for your ideas.

@eyser: the DECT information is correct, I've tested it and currently it is working like a charme, but you're right if I'll see any issue during phone calls I will install the Fritzbox out ofv the cage.

@both: I'll will have a look for the IW AP's, if it won't work in my infrastructure, I will use the normal AP's and a Mesh AP for the garden.

Thanks guys :-)