Front Door Video Intercom

Submitted by -

Would really like to see a Front Door bell replacement unit built by Ubiquiti, sort of like Ring.com, Aiphone IX series or Comelit VIP.

1. Unit would replace doorbell with a POE unit that has a fish eye camera and 2 way speaker.

2.  Camera video would be integrated into UniFi Video for recordings.

3. When someone rings the bell it would of course trigger wired doorbell chime already in a home but would do cloud push notifications to the UniFi video app on iOS & Android phones/tablets, UVP to answer person at the door whether at home or away.

4.  There would be a door release trigger

5. Integrate with intercom functionality on UVP phones so that UVP phones could see the camera and respond with two way audio.

Comments
by
on ‎11-23-2015 10:12 AM
I agree with the feature list noted above, but in simpler setups that have a UVC/UVC-DOME over the door but without any phones or a door release trigger, some doorbell integration in the NVR would still be nice. A doorbell button could trigger the NVR to begin recording the door camera. Also, for anyone watching a live view, it would be nice to be able to have the display automatically switch to the door camera when the doorbell button is pressed. Ubiquiti would still need to integrate this into NVR software, but would allow existing setups to operate video-monitored doorbells with the UVCs they already have.
by
on ‎12-01-2015 06:09 AM

+1 for this!

by
‎12-09-2015 01:49 PM - edited ‎12-09-2015 01:50 PM

This would be a great product. My thought were a unit a litle larger than the Micro with a call button. The unit rings back to a phone app for two way comuniccation. Added function could ring the unit with the AC/EDU AP's. Have it run to the NVR full time to watch packages and keep an eye out for people snooping around the area. Connected to WIFI while powered by existing wiring is good, POE would be even better.

by
on ‎02-07-2016 10:11 AM

Aren't most wired doorbells 24v AC? If I read correctly most UBNT productions run on 24v DC, which is a pretty easy conversion. Though personally I would run PoE regardless. 

I think the thing that will make or break this for me is how the door release is implemented. A relay onboard is unacceptable security-wise, it really should be a remote box or some integration with door control systems. I'd also like to see a custom Unifi Phone firmware or app that coverts it to just be a door phone with no or little other functionality. There are a number of customers, primarily businesses and older residents, who wouldn't want to deal with a smartphone, whether it be in their pocket or mounted to the wall. They just want their door phone to be their door phone, not also their calendar and music player. 

by
on ‎03-17-2016 02:55 AM

have a look at Axis A8004.

by
on ‎03-17-2016 10:33 AM

The Axis would fit the bill, but for residenital use (what I'm needing) $1,200 will get me a ring pro and about 30 years of cloud recording. 

If Ubiquiti isn't working on a product they are missing a good opportunity to get their name into peoples homes.

by
‎04-14-2016 03:01 PM - edited ‎04-14-2016 03:02 PM

Would love to have something from UBNT on this!  While the ring.com unit works, it's implemetnation is a complete s#!t show and I would love to get it off of my network.  

I don't need the door release or anything else like that - just beef up the talkback functionality to have parity with the ring.com units and I would be over the moon!

by
on ‎05-02-2016 09:28 PM

I see a good upside to this idea however, let's keep in mind that the mFi product line is about automation.  They would need to bridge their mFi sensor management system into the Unifi Video system in order for this to coorespond with their current trend of development.

by
on ‎06-03-2016 08:55 AM
The first three points of the OP would be enough for me to buy it. The lack of an integrated doorbell ringer and camera with the unifi video system has made me look into other systems.

I would want it to be POE instead of wireless
by
on ‎10-24-2016 12:52 PM

As someone who owns a Ring doorbell but finds it hell because it's all WiFi, if this was implemented with proper PoE, wired data transfer, microphone & speaker, and a good companion app for smartphones, I'd instantly throw my Ring doorbell out and buy one of these.