Privacy Mask

Submitted by
My HOA would love to get a camera system but we need privacy masking. I would love to use ubiquiti cameras. But without privacy mask its a deal breaker. privacy mask seems to be a must for many customers
Comments
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎09-15-2017 09:09 AM

For your specific use case, would it be sufficient if we allowed horizontal rectangles only for privacy masking? Or do you need more complex polygon shapes?

by
on ‎09-15-2017 09:25 AM
To start horizontal rectangles should work fine
by
on ‎09-15-2017 09:26 AM
But some future customers in future time may need more complex masking
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎09-15-2017 09:29 AM

Yes, of course, but we are gauging where to start. It is much less CPU-intensive to draw rectangles than it is to draw arbitrary polygons on screen. We can likely do both in the future, but one is easier to start with and optimize.

by
on ‎09-15-2017 09:44 AM
I understand if we had squares current customers would be satisified.. And in future updates when other options become available it would serve to reinforce the concept they made a good choice to go with uniquiti. As it will show that there purchased product can only get better
by
on ‎09-15-2017 10:06 AM
Is this actually being worked on.
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎09-15-2017 10:23 AM

It is in our queue, yes, but it is not one of the top priorities at the moment. I can't comment on schedules for this particular feature.

by
on ‎09-15-2017 10:56 AM

I suppose if we had the option of multiple overlapping squares, that may meet many req's but since the zone editing dialog already supports polygons, the code is already there versus writing code for rectangles.

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎09-15-2017 11:08 AM

The privacy masking happens on the camera in high-resolution as part of the camera processing pipeline. The polygons in the motion detection editor are translated to a low-resolution grid used for motion detection. Unfortunately the two features don't translate well to each other.

by
on ‎09-25-2017 09:49 AM
was asked even in 2015 by some users.... using these camera in EU is now only possible if you can mask the area by placement of camera. Usage of these is then somewhat limited or in fact at your own risk. at least 1 simple user configurable rectangle would be a good start... I have have a dozen cheap ABUS camera's varying from SD to HD, these have this simple feature on board.... BTW: yes the privacy rules are an EU directive, so LAW in every EU state (eg. you cannot have a private camera film a street pavement)