3 weeks ago
A Bullet - the Brass and Lead type, not the UBNT one!
Reason for Installation
A site in our major Australian Aboriginal Community Project. Solar Powered point of interconnect with Australian Central Desert Fiber Backhaul.
Used Products
×28
Description

There's been two things I've been hoping for from UBNT for a while now:-

1. A Unifi Motion Detection Algorithm that Really Works!
  2. A way to turn off the bright flashing lights on AF5X's.

This story pertains to both Man Wink

We've been testing out the enhanced motion detection algorithm in the unifi video beta program. I'm pleased to say that it's reduced my false detections immensely. As a result, I've started to take notice of my motion alerts. This site is close to a road, and the really bright lights on the AF5X really stand out in an otherwise desolate landscape and occassionally attract attention

A lot of people think that there's no guns in Australia. That's not the case.

As a result of the you beaut new motion detection algorithm, I was notified and watching live as a vehicle approached one of our sites close to sunset last night.

Have a look at this footage (video at bottom) and see if you can make out the bullet as it is fired from ground level and passes the camera on the way to our dish.. Links are still up, by the way.

bullet.png

20160406_101332.jpgRandom photo of spider to make up 4 images.

20151221_180306.jpgRandom photo of 23dB dish to make up 4 images.

20160125_180658.jpgRandom photo of dog and dish to make up 4 images.

A Bullet - the Brass and Lead type, not the UBNT one!

by 3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

There's been two things I've been hoping for from UBNT for a while now:-

1. A Unifi Motion Detection Algorithm that Really Works!
  2. A way to turn off the bright flashing lights on AF5X's.

This story pertains to both Man Wink

We've been testing out the enhanced motion detection algorithm in the unifi video beta program. I'm pleased to say that it's reduced my false detections immensely. As a result, I've started to take notice of my motion alerts. This site is close to a road, and the really bright lights on the AF5X really stand out in an otherwise desolate landscape and occassionally attract attention

A lot of people think that there's no guns in Australia. That's not the case.

As a result of the you beaut new motion detection algorithm, I was notified and watching live as a vehicle approached one of our sites close to sunset last night.

Have a look at this footage (video at bottom) and see if you can make out the bullet as it is fired from ground level and passes the camera on the way to our dish.. Links are still up, by the way.

bullet.png

20160406_101332.jpgRandom photo of spider to make up 4 images.

20151221_180306.jpgRandom photo of 23dB dish to make up 4 images.

20160125_180658.jpgRandom photo of dog and dish to make up 4 images.

{"location":{"title":"Stuart NT 0870, Australia","placeId":"ChIJPe3p9zgZMisR32ocEK5mQzI"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3","count":28}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"A site in our major Australian Aboriginal Community Project. Solar Powered point of interconnect with Australian Central Desert Fiber Backhaul.","mainImage":"159214i2F1F4CB47055563F"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

Did they manage to hit anything?

by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Not sure @NVX - Signal strengths are still excellent but with a slight assymetry which might indicate the dish has been deflected to the left a little - also one of my GPS antennas is reading a few less sats than the other. Solar Panels are still all at full output.

Police have been down and no obvious damage noted.

In Australia there are very harsh jail penalties for malicious damage to Telecommunications Infrastructure so they're taking this extremely seriously (we're a carrier) - discussions ongoing.

by
3 weeks ago

Indeed, fellow aussie here too so well aware of the telecommunications act. Seems such a strange thing to do.

Be sure to post pics next time you go up the tower if he did manage to hit anything, curious to see how the gear held up!

by Ubiquiti Employee
3 weeks ago

@doc_karl Looking to include the feature that allows us to disable the lights after 15 minutes or so.

by
3 weeks ago

Ah thanks for letting me know @UBNT-Gary - that will be really useful to us! Cheers - M

by
3 weeks ago

Guns still a think down under?

by
3 weeks ago

>> Guns still a think down under?

Yes and no. You'll never really see them in urban areas/cities, but people can get them if they need them (with heavy licence requirements). You're more likely to see them/need them in rural and remote areas. And doc_karl operates in extremely remote areas! 

by

Steve's right. @PhantomTypist - it's only semi-automatics that have been banned (with some small exceptions). Bolt Actions are still available but you need to licence the gun and yourself. There's still some enthusiasts in capital cities that have hundreds of guns, but mostly it's remote areas.

Having been chased up a tree by 3 wild and angry stallions (on my own in the middle of nowhere and stuck there for hours), come across countless venomous stakes and stalked for 3 hours by a dingo (although I don't think he had malicious intent - just keeping an eye on me) I can see the need for something that goes bang in these remote areas...

But generally microwave dishes don't try to kill you, so I'm not quite sure what was going on here....

(#edit - stuck there for 'hours' not 'weeks' - lol.. it felt like weeks)

by
3 weeks ago

I'm sure if you cranked the power up enough the dish might try to kill you Man Very Happy (Although I don't think ubnt radios could go that high).

by

In Australia there are very harsh jail penalties for malicious damage to Telecommunications Infrastructure so they're taking this extremely seriously (we're a carrier) - discussions ongoing.

Cool that you got the picture - pretty fast shutter speed on the camera I guess.

Here in the US most people don't realize that anything regulated by the FCC that is vandalized, stolen, damaged or otherwise messed with is dealt with by the FBI, not the local police.   THey usually won't do much for unlicensed stuff, but if there's a license involved, they jump right in.   I found this out in the early 80s building and doing engineering for radio and TV stations - there was a small FM station that had their transmitter building broken into - nothing was stolen, but there was a footpring left where they kicked the transmitter (I always assume people think anything with lights on is dangerous and could kill them - not wrong in this case...)   The Feds were called and did a full press investigation, even though the site was literally out in the middle of nowhere.   The also let the locals know they were the ones investigating, and once the word got out we never had another breakin at a transmitter site in the area...   ;-)

But hunters?   That site was right next to the Tesuque AT&T microwave site, and I knew the techs who kept it going.   They were out there at least once a week patching the bullet holes in ther big Gabriel horn antennas which (along with the waveguide) were pressurized to keep water out.   They would get an alarm that the pressure was dropping and they'd know somebody had shot the antenna again...

Jim