07/31/2018
First UniFi Camera Installed!
Used Products
×1
Description

First time installing any kind of cameras myself. Just recently upgraded my entire network to a Ubiquiti setup. Much nicer environment than my previous setup of a DIY x86 based pfSense gateway and D-Link L2 smart switch.

Now I'm running a USG Pro, US-24 switch, US-16-150W PoE switch, and a UAP-AC-LITE, with a CloudKey managing everything. It's a wicked setup, and I'm loving all of the analytical data and configuration options. Still learning EdgeOS and all the CLI commands for some more advanced configurations.

I'd been meaning to add some basic surveillance to the house for a while, so I took the opportunity to run some CAT6 out from the PoE switch when doing the wiring for the UAP-AC-LITE.

Just got the first camera up and running today and it's working great! Time will tell how well the G3 Dome will stand up to the extremely varried weather we get here in Calgary. Temps in winter consistantly drop to -30°C to -35°C. Got a solid 2 foot overhang on the roof above it, but didn't want to place it higher in order to get a better angle on any faces coming up the driveway.00.jpg

Here's a bit of a close up on the install. Nice and clean. Smoothed the stucco behind the mount in order to get a nice clean mount. Used some longer screws than what were included to make it through the stucco and into the OSB behind it.

01.jpg

Pretty solid angle of the entire driveway. We keep the truck and car on either side as seen all year around. So now we've got good view of anyone getting into the driver seat of either vehicle + the entire driveway.

Driveway Dome - Aug 01 '18 12_03_17 AM.jpg

I have another set of SFP modules and a fiber cable on the way to run the switches in aggregate mode. This is how it looks now. Going to be cleaning the cabling up soon here when I have some time. Might deploy a patch panel but I don't really see the need personally.IMG_20180725_213000.jpg

First UniFi Camera Installed!

by on ‎07-31-2018 11:22 PM

First time installing any kind of cameras myself. Just recently upgraded my entire network to a Ubiquiti setup. Much nicer environment than my previous setup of a DIY x86 based pfSense gateway and D-Link L2 smart switch.

Now I'm running a USG Pro, US-24 switch, US-16-150W PoE switch, and a UAP-AC-LITE, with a CloudKey managing everything. It's a wicked setup, and I'm loving all of the analytical data and configuration options. Still learning EdgeOS and all the CLI commands for some more advanced configurations.

I'd been meaning to add some basic surveillance to the house for a while, so I took the opportunity to run some CAT6 out from the PoE switch when doing the wiring for the UAP-AC-LITE.

Just got the first camera up and running today and it's working great! Time will tell how well the G3 Dome will stand up to the extremely varried weather we get here in Calgary. Temps in winter consistantly drop to -30°C to -35°C. Got a solid 2 foot overhang on the roof above it, but didn't want to place it higher in order to get a better angle on any faces coming up the driveway.00.jpg

Here's a bit of a close up on the install. Nice and clean. Smoothed the stucco behind the mount in order to get a nice clean mount. Used some longer screws than what were included to make it through the stucco and into the OSB behind it.

01.jpg

Pretty solid angle of the entire driveway. We keep the truck and car on either side as seen all year around. So now we've got good view of anyone getting into the driver seat of either vehicle + the entire driveway.

I have another set of SFP modules and a fiber cable on the way to run the switches in aggregate mode. This is how it looks now. Going to be cleaning the cabling up soon here when I have some time. Might deploy a patch panel but I don't really see the need personally.IMG_20180725_213000.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Calgary, AB, Canada","placeId":"ChIJ1T-EnwNwcVMROrZStrE7bSY"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3-dome","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"168090i9B17A7E561F78718"}

00.jpg
01.jpg
Comments
by
on ‎08-01-2018 09:47 AM

Keep an eye on that model being outside. Dome will likely get condensation on the inside, at least from a friend of mine's experience.

by
‎08-01-2018 02:41 PM - edited ‎08-02-2018 01:10 PM

@Bobby-BI'll keep an eye out for condensation, I'll throw some desiccant in the bottom of the protective bubble if it becomes a problem. Likely wouldn't be a permanent solution but it would definitely help.

Alternatively, coating the bubble with some anti-fog or whatnot might also work.

by
on ‎08-02-2018 05:51 AM

IMO i would swap that out with a bullet, The domes are not really rated for direct weather unless there under a overhang but even then i would still use bulets for outdoors.

by
on ‎08-02-2018 05:59 AM

The G3-Pro has a wide FOV and is IP67 rated for weather exposure.  It also has much better low light performance and the IR can be turned down to reduce the strong reflections.

by
on ‎08-02-2018 10:46 AM

Nice. Hope it survives the weather.

by
on ‎08-02-2018 01:08 PM

@LLigetfathe G3-Pro has a smaller field of view than the dome, and the dome doesn't even give me the full field of view I was hoping for. The Pro is also 2x the cost so that's not a realistic option for me. The reflection in the taillight will always be there, it has a reflector built into it. I'd have to reduce the IR output so much that it would be useless in order to get rid of it.

@Ryoohkit is located under a 2 foot~ roof overhang. It rained fairly heavily today and no rain touched the camera. Without a heavy wind + rain pushing it into the camera from the front of the house (very very rare to have wind come from that direction here) I don't see it being a problem. We never get snow sticking to the house in that location either.

@Flashbangme too! They market it as an indoor/outdoor camera so it better!

by
on ‎08-02-2018 02:45 PM

The specs on the G3-Dome is 100.4 degrees FOV and the G3-Pro is 108 degrees.  Cost difference will be less after factoring a failure from water intrusion.

by
on ‎08-02-2018 02:56 PM

The two foot rule is referring to the camera being mounted to the underside of the eave, not arbitrarily far down the wall beneath it.  Still, you might get away with it if the wind patterns around your house are favorable.  And you've got a clean looking install there.  If you do decide to swap it out for a bullet, at least the hard part is already done!

by
on ‎08-02-2018 05:48 PM

@LLigetfaThe G3-Pro uses different mounting hardware I assume. Since I've already drilled and mounted this in the stucco and there's no easy fix to clean up stucco, swapping now would be really stupid. Plus, they market the dome as an outdoor camera. If it can't take a little weather they need to change their marketing materials ASAP!

by
on ‎08-07-2018 11:48 AM

What interested me about your install is that your G3 Dome looks like it is mounted at a fairly obtuse angle yet your video clip seems perfectly aligned. The one thing preventing me from moving to UniFi cameras is that my understanding is that the lenses inside the housings cannot be rotated?