a week ago
G3 Trial by Fire
Used Products
×1
Description

So, I got a call to come and replace a camera I previously installed a few months ago. wasn't expecting much but when I got to site, I couldn't believe my eyes...

The neighbours shed had caught fire a few days prior and had damaged a building with a few cameras attached to, one got the main brunt of the fire, basically being inside of it. We have footage of the camera recording right up until it gave up, my guessing due to heat.

whilst I was taking the camera down to replace, I’d noticed that the lens assy looked ok, and what I could see of the port in the back looked ok too. It was offline on the system so wasn't holding out much hope.

I took the fire damaged camera back to the workshop where I stared to disassemble it to get into the boards.

With a though clean with isopropyl alcohol throughout the inside, popped it all back together and plugged some power in. It didn't respond to the usual PoE+ from the switch but changed it to 24v and there stared to be signs of life.

To my amazement the IR leds lit, then the IR cut filter dropped out, checked on the dashboard and there it was with all its settings still in tact.  The video feed was just as good as before the fire. 

I can not believe that it still works even now, if anyone has a dead G3 with a goodish housing on it I’d be keen to have it off you and put this lucky camera back into service.

Thanks

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2504.JPEG

G3 Trial by Fire

by a week ago - last edited Friday

So, I got a call to come and replace a camera I previously installed a few months ago. wasn't expecting much but when I got to site, I couldn't believe my eyes...

The neighbours shed had caught fire a few days prior and had damaged a building with a few cameras attached to, one got the main brunt of the fire, basically being inside of it. We have footage of the camera recording right up until it gave up, my guessing due to heat.

whilst I was taking the camera down to replace, I’d noticed that the lens assy looked ok, and what I could see of the port in the back looked ok too. It was offline on the system so wasn't holding out much hope.

I took the fire damaged camera back to the workshop where I stared to disassemble it to get into the boards.

With a though clean with isopropyl alcohol throughout the inside, popped it all back together and plugged some power in. It didn't respond to the usual PoE+ from the switch but changed it to 24v and there stared to be signs of life.

To my amazement the IR leds lit, then the IR cut filter dropped out, checked on the dashboard and there it was with all its settings still in tact.  The video feed was just as good as before the fire. 

I can not believe that it still works even now, if anyone has a dead G3 with a goodish housing on it I’d be keen to have it off you and put this lucky camera back into service.

Thanks

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2504.JPEG

{"location":{"title":"Tamworth, UK","placeId":"ChIJQeswGJOocEgR7xzI1LN_5vc"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"206012iA3F81D307C4233FA"}

Comments
by
Wednesday

post the footage! this would be pretty cool to see!

by
Thursday

For anyone that says UBNT's build quility sucks here is a perfect example that it doesnt.

by
Thursday - last edited Sunday

Hey! I remember that there was an old "triangular" AirCam that filmed when it almost got burnt up..   I think that it should be in the ubnt.com archives somewhere Man Happy .

EDIT: i found it here : https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video-Stories/Bullet-BBQ/cns-p/618199

by
11 hours ago

Second the request for footage!