2 weeks ago
Live Stream UniFi Protect Cameras
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

It's a beautiful snowy afternoon here in Denver, and I was curious if there was a way for me to live-stream my Protect cameras. After a little googling, it turned out to be pretty easy to do. 

I downloaded Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) to my Mac and was up and running in a few minutes.

First, you need to select your streaming provider; Facebook Live was the quickest to get up and running. Once the streaming key is in let OBS autoconfigure the streaming settings.

Next, set up your cameras by going to "sources" -> "Media Source." Below is an example of my rtsp settings from Protect. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.03.34 PM.png

You can layout multiple video sources on the canvas at once, if you like. You can also add other media elements:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.03.14 PM.png

Tip: Make sure you check your audio sources, at first I didn't realize that I was streaming audio from my macs mic. Mute anything you don't want going out to the world. 

Once you are ready, "Start Streaming" in OBS and go Live on Facebook.

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.02.43 PM.png

You should be live to the world now: 

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.50.44 PM.png

I am going to play with streaming to YouTube later, that should be easier to share the live feed to public sources. 

Live Stream UniFi Protect Cameras

by 2 weeks ago

It's a beautiful snowy afternoon here in Denver, and I was curious if there was a way for me to live-stream my Protect cameras. After a little googling, it turned out to be pretty easy to do. 

I downloaded Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) to my Mac and was up and running in a few minutes.

First, you need to select your streaming provider; Facebook Live was the quickest to get up and running. Once the streaming key is in let OBS autoconfigure the streaming settings.

Next, set up your cameras by going to "sources" -> "Media Source." Below is an example of my rtsp settings from Protect. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.03.34 PM.png

You can layout multiple video sources on the canvas at once, if you like. You can also add other media elements:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.03.14 PM.png

Tip: Make sure you check your audio sources, at first I didn't realize that I was streaming audio from my macs mic. Mute anything you don't want going out to the world. 

Once you are ready, "Start Streaming" in OBS and go Live on Facebook.

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.02.43 PM.png

You should be live to the world now: 

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 2.50.44 PM.png

I am going to play with streaming to YouTube later, that should be easier to share the live feed to public sources. 

{"location":{"title":"Denver, CO, USA","placeId":"ChIJzxcfI6qAa4cR1jaKJ_j0jhE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1},{"id":"unifi-video-camera","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"193219iCF4224212286D92C"}

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Nice. How did you find the live stream quality? (and what speed line are you running it over?)

by
2 weeks ago

looks great

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

After setting the output resolution to 1280x720, the quality was excellent. Later on, I was even streaming live radar with the video, and it looked great! I'm on a 1 Gig connection, but it wasn't pulling that much to stream, I think it chewed up around 5 Mbps on average.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.07.45 AM.png

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Here's a link to the YouTube live stream (No guarantees how long or when it will be up since I'm streaming from my laptop) 

by
a week ago

@303Bryan where are you pulling the live radar from?  I'm working on getting a weather camera setup for myself and would like to include a radar image with it.

by
a week ago

Right now, I'm just doing a screen capture from a program called RadarScope on my Mac. I have also played around with both screen capture and an image export feature from GRLevel3 (Windows only). Lastly, it is also possible to capture images from websites using OBS, I've played around with that a little, but I have had trouble with the formatting.