2 weeks ago
Replacing 4 Axis Cameras with 5 UVC-G3 Cameras
Reason for Installation
Replacing old water damaged AXIS cameras with cheaper, better UBNT cameras.
Used Products
×1
Description

Recently 4 of our AXIS IP cameras filled with water that dripped onto them from the building (Steel frame building collects lots of condensation). Rather than paying $450 per camera for replacements from AXIS, I decided to give the Unifi cameras a shot and picked up a 5 pack. For the NVR I just put a 2 TB hard drive into an HP desktop that I had laying around.

The building is a steel frame. I don't like to drill holes into the metal beams so I use beam clamps for my installs. I did not have any countersunk 1/4"-20 bolts that would fit into the mounting holes for the UVC so I just used a piece of 2x4 wood mount the cameras to the beam clamps.Camera Side ViewCamera Side View

CameraCamera

Beam ClampsBeam Clamps

I don't have any screen grabs of the cameras or NVR but I and the boss are very impressed with the fact that the cameras have twice the FOV and resolution of the old cameras, yet they are 3x cheaper. Within a week one of the cameras captured an incident in full HD at 30fps with audio, the boss sure loved that. I wish I could post the video. If the system holds up well over the next few months I will consider buying more Unifi cameras to replace the AXIS ones where possible. I am also working to upgrade to UniFi switches as I am able.A little bit of cable-gore at one of the switch cabinets. There are 6 of these around the site, some bigger, some smaller.A little bit of cable-gore at one of the switch cabinets. There are 6 of these around the site, some bigger, some smaller.

Replacing 4 Axis Cameras with 5 UVC-G3 Cameras

by 2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

Recently 4 of our AXIS IP cameras filled with water that dripped onto them from the building (Steel frame building collects lots of condensation). Rather than paying $450 per camera for replacements from AXIS, I decided to give the Unifi cameras a shot and picked up a 5 pack. For the NVR I just put a 2 TB hard drive into an HP desktop that I had laying around.

The building is a steel frame. I don't like to drill holes into the metal beams so I use beam clamps for my installs. I did not have any countersunk 1/4"-20 bolts that would fit into the mounting holes for the UVC so I just used a piece of 2x4 wood mount the cameras to the beam clamps.Camera Side ViewCamera Side View

CameraCamera

Beam ClampsBeam Clamps

I don't have any screen grabs of the cameras or NVR but I and the boss are very impressed with the fact that the cameras have twice the FOV and resolution of the old cameras, yet they are 3x cheaper. Within a week one of the cameras captured an incident in full HD at 30fps with audio, the boss sure loved that. I wish I could post the video. If the system holds up well over the next few months I will consider buying more Unifi cameras to replace the AXIS ones where possible. I am also working to upgrade to UniFi switches as I am able.A little bit of cable-gore at one of the switch cabinets. There are 6 of these around the site, some bigger, some smaller.A little bit of cable-gore at one of the switch cabinets. There are 6 of these around the site, some bigger, some smaller.

{"location":{"title":"WI, USA","placeId":"EiM0MjAgTWFubiBSZCwgU3BlbmNlciwgV0kgNTQ0NzksIFVTQQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3-5","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Replacing old water damaged AXIS cameras with cheaper, better UBNT cameras.","mainImage":"141817iF91D44626FF646E3"}

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

I am sorry for you, that you replaced Axis cams with UBNT. But your choice. You should not have mounted indoor cams in areas with moisture.

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@pat_bateman

The reason I decided to try some UBNT cameras instead of  just replacing the AXIS cameras is because of a few reasons:

1. Issues with water getting into the cameras despite all of my attempts, even on IP66 rated cameras such as M3027-PVE
  2. Build quality issues, out of 25 cameras 2 came from the factory with the PTZ broke (I later fixed them myself, the motor was missing 2 screws), and another came with a broken cable.
  3. Warranty issues, AXIS refused to warranty their products each time was a new reason.
  4. Pricing, I don't want to pay $650 for a camera that can't handle what it is rated for or won't work straight from the factory.
by
2 weeks ago

When you decide to perminantly install your camera's, instead of your temporary testing solution. I use 10-24 CS screws and a 5/32 drill. Works great. Or you could decide to go metric and use the supplied screws, whatever is easier to aquire.

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@pat_batemanwould you mind to clearify what's wrong with UBNT cameras? I am wondering about your statement. Of course, Axis offers a much wider range of different cameras and are fare away from beeing bad, but those from UBNT are fine in many cases and the price is not only a good argument but is realy quite impressive for what the cams offer. don't you think so?

by
2 weeks ago

Axis cameras had their day but I find them overpriced.  There are more cost effective options these days like UBNT...

by
2 weeks ago

@pat_bateman thanks for the constructive comment -_- i will never understand why people who dont like ubiquiti gear join the forum to post unconstructive bashing.... personally i havent yet had a client for cams since the g3s came out but all my gen 2 and even AIRCAM clinets are quite happy. great stuff honestly. and neat mounting solution. if you dlike to make it look a bit cleaner, i imagine with a small drill modification you could widen the holes on the mounting bases to thread through to those beam clampsthose look like maybe 1/4inch bolt models so i doubt youd have to make the drill out very wide if at all. woul dmount flush to the beam and probably look a bit more semipro

by
a week ago

@webnetvn

Putting the 1/4 inch bolt straight into the beam clamp was my first idea. The bolts were too wide so I used the drill press to make the holes bigger. the bolts fit but the heads were in the way of the second piece of the mount, even after I used a grinder to remove most of the head. If I had the chance I would definitely pick up some 1/4inch bolts with countersunk heads to that it looked cleaner.

by
a week ago

@FarmerKJS1, If you want to go straight into the beam clamp, you could screw in a nylon bolt and then drill a small hole in the head for a wood screw.

by
a week ago - last edited a week ago

I have found that people posting those kinds of criticisms here usually are 

People using the other brand of devices with a vested interest (usually CYA with the Boss)  in not having the "cheaper" UBNT devices being seen as better;

Vendors/dealers who want to cut down UBNT to push their own lines;

Trolls who just want to stir things up.

The first is more often the case we see, but the others are there too.   Just take these posts for what they are worth - and use your own judgement on what you should use in your case.   Paying more doesn't always get you more.   There's a reason why UBNT sells so much stuff worldwide...

BTW we use a lot of G3 UBNT cameras, indoors and out, and our customers love them.   We're currently upgrading one large event center from AirCam/G2 to G3 cams, and getting ready to install a bunch more in a very large hotel.

Jim

by
a week ago

Knee-jerk reactions that go overboard with claims that someone is a shill that just joined to post ranks of fanboyism.  The person you guys are jumping joined in 2016.  Get your facts straight.

The G3 is weather resistant and so a better choice where condensation is dripping onto an indoor cam. The OP admitted that and not blaming the failure on inferior design.  The comparison based on cost and optics is perfectly valid.  If the image quality of the G3 is impressive, the G3-Pro with IP67 rating, 3X zoom, powerful IR, and low light performance should make you drool.